80 Days And Still Coughing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The first week of Feb., I got acute bronchitis and went through three cycles of ABX. Everything has cleared up except for this dry, ticklish cough. My doc has basically abandoned me on this as he has his own cough which will not go away. The docs are calling it, "The Cough of 100 Days." It's an epidemic down here in SW FL.

I've tried all kinds of remedies and all have helped but nothing has vanquished the cough completely. I'll be fine and out of the blue, I choke up and cough. I have to keep water at work and I suck on Life Savers to keep my throat from drying out. I've found anything with DMX and an antihistamine works best. Tree pollen is very high and I suspect at this point, it's more allergies than a virus.

On a positive note, on my days off, I rest and it does recharge my battery. A few years ago, something like this would have made me bedridden again. Last summer, my hrs. dropped off significantly. This year at the new store, they have cut personnel to the bare bones, so I am working as many hours as I do in the winter during our tourist season. Between working and sleeping, I'm not getting much else done. Again, on a positive note, I'm getting my rest and my bank account is decent despite some out-of-the-ordinary expenses. The bad news is that my condo and car are getting pretty disgusting. Aack!

I live on the second floor of our condo bldg. and my hot water heater was 16 years old. It was still cranking out hot water, but I was afraid it was on borrowed time. A bad leak could affect my neighbors downstairs. About ten of us all went together and bought new heaters from Lowe's. They gave us a discount for volume sales and we all chipped in and only paid a few dollars for one delivery charge. A handyman installed them for us at much, much less than a plumber would charge. That's a load off my mind.

Then, my 16-year-old dishwasher gave out, so I had to replace it. Lowe's was having a discount on energy star appliances. My neighbor works there and he got me the same discount on a new range. I figured that it was the last thing in here which hadn't been replaced and I should get it too. Lowe's gives one a full year without any interest to pay off appliances, so I'll wait until next year to pay for it. I got a nice dishwasher which works really well and a glass-top range. The range has five burners and is a speckled gray and white color. It doesn't show smears like the black ones do. Two of the burners can be used small or large. The fifth one is a warmer burner to keep things hot if I need to use the burner it has been on. Oh, I'm in heaven. Now, I feel as though I have to cook. My appetite has been spotty with this cough. Oh well, only 20 more days to go :)

Hope y'all are doing well. I haven't been around much due to working and sleeping. Prayers and hugs to everyone.

Love, Mikie
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

Well, I've got it, too. Wish my doc would have given me a 100-day supply of the really good cough syrup to go with it.

The little tickle is driving me crazy -- I'm on four different meds for allergies right now (plus stuff for coughs).

I'm in northeast Florida, so our seasons are slightly offset. I thought I was almost over this (I usually am by this time of the year), but I went up to Massachusetts during early April and came home sick again (from the dry airplane cabin air and the new blooms in New England).

The allergy meds are helping, so I will be stockpiling for next year's season (only seven months away now!).
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

It's always wonderful to hear from you but I'm sorry about the cough.

The new appliances sound wonderful though.

4. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Every year I go through a round of bronchitis. This year, twice. It is horrible, because it lasts forever. I found something that cleared it up much quicker for me this past winter. A warm mist humidifier! So basic and simple, but it worked wonders. I would put it up right next to my bed as close as possible, and close the doors. It really loosens up the chest congestion and moisturizes that dry hacking cough. I added the Vicks vapor stuff to the little built in cup on the humidifier and took Nyquil COUGH at bedtime. Worked wonders and got rid of the bronchitis much quicker. Normally it would last 1-2 months. After using the humidifier on this most recent round, it was gone completely in 2 weeks or so. From now on, I'll be firing that baby up at the first sign!

If you've got one, try it. If you don't, you should!

Hope you feel better soon!
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's so good to hear from y'all. I guess I've been spoiled for the last 11 of 12 years here. I had horrible asthma, bronchitis, and even pnemonia every spring in CO. This is the first time in FL that I have had such a problem with bronchitis. A year and half ago, I did get Klebciella, where I worked at the time ,and it caused acute bronchitis and then a UTI, but not since CO have I had such a cough. CO is very dry and every spring, there is an epidemic of the above-mentioned illnesses, including Strep Throat and sinusitis.

It has been a very dry winter here and I suspect that isn't helping matters. It is always breezy here and that spreads dust and pollen around. I think when our seasonal rains hit, a lot of this will go away.

Juloo, I hope your health improves too. My neighbors from MASS just left for the summer. I miss them. The Red Sox do their spring training here and we are building a new stadium for them.

Jam, I wish I could walk to the ocean here. We do have a little beach on the Gulf not far from me and it's been left "unimproved." It's so quiet and nice; it's out of the way of most tourists. This time of year, it's almost impossible to get over the bridge to the regular beach. I will try to get closer to the water as it always helps my health.

Nancy, always good to hear from you too. Thanks for the good wishes. Yes, it is nice to get new things every once in a while. I'm always content with whatever I have, but then I get something new and am awestruck at how nice the improvements are on new appliances. Of course, we never use all the features these gizmos have but some of them are wonderful.

Kid, I think I may have to get a humidifier because the air inside is dry too with the A/C running. We do have to be careful of mold here, though. It doesn't take much to get it growing inside. As soon as it becomes more humid and rainy, I really think a lot of this stuff will clear up.

Again, my friends, my best to everyone.

Love, Mikie

6. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Believe me, I do kow what you mean although I haven't had a bad attack lately. I am thinking it might have been due to the annual flu shots as well as DH have started talking Grape Seed Extract daily. Jam told me (us) about it a few years ago and I really think it has made a difference for me. I used to get attacks at least once a year. They were horrible and like you said, even after the antiboiotics were gone and the infection was gone;. However, I also have problems with chronic post nasal drip.

I do not know whata else to tell you as you seem to be doing the usual, sucking cough drops or hard candies all the time. Keep on drinking,especially water, I am thinking.

Gee, I hope it starts to go away soon. I know how aggravating it can be and tiring too.

Hugs and blessings,
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Terch, I'm so sorry you are going through this too. I can't take codeine but I can take codone. My doc prescribed a cough syrup and it was $160. I didn't take it. Perhaps, it would have been worth it, though. Good luck to you. BTW, I had asthma in CO and I always have an inhaler with two drugs in it on hand. I take it and it does seem to help.

Granni, thanks for your good wishes. I do think it was better yesterday and today. I'm still exhausted but that's from waking up with the tickle in my throat. The cashier who usually opens at 6:45 a.m. is on vacation. I opened twice this week and have to do it four days this coming week. I'll be glad to see her back. I hate getting up at 5:00 a.m. Good news is that I'm off by 1:00 or 2:00 in the afternoon.

Thanks again for your responses. Love and hugs to you both.

Love, Mikie