86 Lounge for the Holidays

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by spacee, Nov 29, 2011.

1. spacee

spacee Member

Pam, I just can't imagine all you have been through with Thanks., kids and remodeling.
    The grandkids antics crack me up. Me, I wouldn't have waited for them to eat. Were they
    starving when they got there?

Rock, your doing well at stretching out the two course Thanksgiving dinner. When did
    gray kitty show up? Or have I missed that?

I was stunned this am to find that I had slept through my 3am meds. Xanax and tramadol.
    One thing, it meant my back wasn't hurting. Not sure about anything else.

I took a nap after my hair appt. Woke up with:

All the monkey's aren't in a zoo
    Everyday you meet quite a few
    So, you see it's all up to you
    You could be better than you are...you could be swinging from a star.

Hadn't thought of that one in decades. I guess that is one joy of growing older.
    Thinking of things long ago. Cause I have no idea what the hairdresser and I
    talked about for 2 hours. (short memory loss).

Cooler and drizzly here today. It was nice. Still could wear flipflops.

And on to the lipstick. I have worn it for years cause of the dry feeling
    of my lips. I guess chapstick would be cheaper. Or Burt's Bees.

Mikie!!! Hope you are better soon!! (((Hugs)))

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I feel as though I've missed out on a lot here. I am doing better, thanks. Right now, there's a lot going on regarding our community and things I need to do around the condo. I am cleaning out my walk-in closet because it is full of old clothes I can't get into any more and clothes I don't want nor wear. I found some slutty cocktail dresses I had to have for parties I had to attend for my old company. At the time, I don't think they looked all that slutty as I was much thinner and younger looking. Also, it was the style at the time. I'm like an anthropologist going back through layers which give clues to my life before FMS.

I haven't thought about that song in years either. Do you usually wake with old songs playing in your head? The Klonopin gives me a good night's sleep but when I wake, I wake instantly, usually with something playing in my pea brain. It's weird. If I sleep through my bedtime dose and wake during the night, I have to, at least, take half of it or I wake up jittery.

We got the rain on Mon. and it was a welcome sight. It's cooler here too and it feels good. It's been humid and in the 80's until yesterday.

I'll just have to catch up with everyone else as we go along. I just hope y'all are doing well.

Love, Mikie
  3. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Yep it's our first snow.I knew it was supposed to snow today but I told son it won't stick.Surprise!I woke up to winter white all over the ground.Looks pretty but I'll stay in where it's warm.Not enough for a snowman.

Slutty clothes?That is hysterical Mikie.You have a way with words.My closet needs cleaning out.I've attempted it twice but lost interest.Haven't even gotten all my winter clothes out yet.

The grands had gone out shopping before coming to their dad's for Thanksgiving.I felt put out because we made the effort to drive all that way and they couldn't wait to see us but went shopping making us wait on dinner,We ate without them.GD boyfriend simply stayed in bed at their apt. and never showed up.GD couldn't wake him by phone but we didn't miss his presence at all.I don't know what's going on with GS we were so close but he's changed so much.Maybe he'll outgrow it but it hurts to see him like this.I can't even talk to him about it.

I've been in my nightgown all day this week.More comfortable.

4. spacee

spacee Member

Snow! It's lovely to think about. Extremely sad when kids grown up and away
    from the ones who loved them so much. My grandmother lived in the same
    town as my cousin and was terribly hurt when she wanted to be with her
    school friends instead. Since we don't live close, I am guess there will be
    sadness but not as much.

Got rid of the slutty clothes! I bet you were a real looker in them. If you don't have it, then don't flaunt it is what my mother always said. So I didn't flaunt what I didn't have..hehe.

Not much going on today...good cause tomorrow is busy. I'm hoping the
    electrician can get this light fixture to fit over the kitchen sink. If not a
    carpenter will have to be called.

And tomorrow is the day we have all been waiting for!! Gastroenerologist.
    I hope she has a name and a cure for what ails me. If she doesn't, it won't
    be the first time!

Oh, no I don't wake up with songs usually. My mix of meds tends to give
    me somewhat scary dreams. You know, you wake up and darn if you don't go
    right back to the same dream. But I don't remember them.

Def. a nightgown is more comfy! I was the opposite. Dressed in real clothes. Infact Ike asked "why do you have clothes on?". Well, the answer is they
    were comfy. He thought maybe we were going somewhere. We were not.

Lalaland calls my name.

5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Took Zipper for his walk around 5 PM. The wind was blowing to beat the band.
    Brought to mind Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day. The weather report says
    the wind was only 15 mph.

But I know it was more like 30. Felt just like driving 30 per and sticking my head
    out the window.

The grey cat is feral, Spacee. Has been coming around for the last few months.
    Still does not come every day though. Kinda skittish. I can't get closer than 4
    feet. Finished up the chicken last night. Gordon made soup with the remains.

"Swingin' on a Star" was popular when I was a kid. Big hit for Bing Crosby. Gary
    Larson did a cartoon on it.

Mike, are you a clothes anthropologist? Do you work your way through the closet
    going, "Slutty period; polyester decade; Jurassic era"?

Pam, haven't been in the snow since my last visit to MN 8 years ago. But I see it
    on our snow capped mts. every year. The sky will be clear tomorrow due to the
    wind. All the smog and clouds blown away. Then the mts have sharp edges
    against the horizon.

What kinda cookies you makin'? Choc. Chip.? If I had some energy I'd make
    Norwegian krumkaka cookies. You use a sorta miniature waffle iron and roll
    the round cookies (while still hot) around a wooden form to give them a cone

Then, if you want to get really fancy, you fill the cookie cone w/ whipped cream and
    maybe add chocolate or jam. The Norwegians have cloudberry jam which is expensive
    and delicious if you don't mind seeds in your jam.

If you're curious about cloudberries, you can find their photos on the net. The
    live in cold, swampy areas. Members of the rose family. Orange colored.

We went to a different library today. One we used to go to every week. But then they built 3 libraries all much closer to us. Funny how one goes places for years and then
    doesn't go anymore. Used to go to Glendale (near Pasadena) at least twice a week
    for years. Haven't been for years now.

Guess I will go start reading my new book. It's a detective story by a Swedish
    writer. (Carrying out the Scandinavian theme.) How you guys like the new
    format? It's so much easier to read w/ the white background. Yeah, ProHealth.

Well, I typed this in my mailbox and then cut and paste. Doesn't fit so
    neatly as it did previously.
  6. rockgor

Yumpin' Yimminee! Da vind is visthling outside sometin' fierce! (That's my
    Norwegian accent.)

Gusts to
    80 miles per. Power out. Planes at LAX diverted and delayed.
    Hundreds of trees down. Our own street is blocked by a pile of palm
    fronds about 5 feet high. Filming at Sonny's studio (the old MGM) was
    shut down.

The power was off in the LAX terminals. Folks using their cell phones to
    light their way. A freeway was shut down by a fallen tree. Uff-da!

I am putting on my ruby slippers in case the house is carried away. As a
    former second class Boy Scout, I know it's necessary to be prepared.

Hope things are calms where you are.

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Pam, snow? Wow! I used to love the first snow in CO but by Jan., was sick of it. CO is getting snow again today. Ski areas and skiers love it. My new skis sit in the other closet. So, I was a slutty dresser and skier but not at the same time :) I'm sorry the family seems to have drifted. It's sad when that happens. Hopefully, people will come to their senses and value family closeness again. I used to like to sleep au natural but in CO, my shoulders would get cold so I'd put on a large tee shirt. My ex called it my Porky Pig outfit because my pink behind was exposed just like Porky Pig. Now, I favor sleep shirts or PJ's. All us old folks here like to sit around in our jammies and robes to read the paper and have another cup of coffee. It's like a Senior Citizens' slumber party. We may gather in jammies night or morning. The benefits of being retired.

Linda, sending up a prayer for you today. I hope the doc can help you. Yes, once one no longer has it, one should definitely not try to flaunt it. I lost it and it ain't comin' back. Glad I partied hardy when I could. My dreams fall into what my shrink called, "frustration dreams." I dream I'm late for work, can't find a clean public restroom, found something in a store and put it down and couldn't find it again, etc. They reflect my frustration with my life as it is. Guess my frustration has to come out somewhere.

Rock, they were talking about the Santa Ana winds on TV. I never knew they could get so strong. Yikes! I remember trips to S Cal. and how beautiful it was when we could see the mountains. Denver has horrible smog in the winter but it doesn't cloud out the mtns. If you drive into the mtns., though, you can see the black/brown/green smog hanging over the metro area. The smog in Denver is worse than LA in terms of respiratory problems because the thin air at altitude has fewer oxygen molecules per litre. So, with each breath, you get more particulate matter and less oxygen. Jan. to Mar., the docs' offices are crowded with patients with bronchitis, sinusitis, asthma and pneumonia. That's why I had to leave. It has finally caught up with my SIL. He's so sick from asthma and, even worse, all the meds for it he has taken over the years. Are you reading one of the Steig Larson books? I read "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" but haven't gotten to the other two. He finished the fourth one before he died but I don't think it's been published yet.

The Red Tide is just off Sanibel Island and it made me sick yesterday. I went to Lowe's to pick up some plastic clips which hold up the closet shelves and I had to put some Klonopin under my tongue as I was so jittery. It didn't help that they were playing Christmas music very loud and screaming on the PA system every few minutes. Why do they scream into the microphone which amplifies their voices over the system? Yikes! I had to get outta there. I got winded just climbing my stairs when I came home. Red Tide causes neurological and respiratory symptoms. The dead fish are washing ashore just down from us. I was too tired to work in the closet or do much of anything else when I got home. Hope I feel up to it today. Yes, it is like the archological dig. I've found evidence of the Slutty/Work/Party Era, the Golf Era, The Skiing Era and, the final layer, the Comfort Era. So far, though, no cave drawings.

Love, Mikie
  8. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Like the new look but not having to watch for new ways of doing things.

9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm not just cleaning out clothing in that closet but I'm also beefing up the shelves because the old clips holding up the shelves are breaking. Sooo, I've been removing the old ones and putting in new ones and repairing the drywall. I'm going to paint the walls and ceiling. That closet has smelled musty ever since I moved in here. I shampooed the carpet in there. Hopefully, this will freshen it up. I'm doing one side at a time and have stopped for the day. I'm trying to pace myself but just as I finished, "Indian Lake" by the Cowsills (1968) came on and I had to dance. I don't know what it is about that song but I'd rise from the dead like Lazarus if they played that song. I better not request that it be played at my funeral or they would hear my feet tapping inside the casket. OK, another good reason to be cremated.

Hope y'all have a good day.

Love, Mikie
  10. rockgor

12/1/11 10:10 AM Yikes

Mikie you are scaring me.I have yet to find the energy to sort my closet this yr.I have winter clothes I need to get out.It's the latest I've ever waited.I keep clothes that are 3 different sizes but long gone are my professional working clothes and heels.Scary clothes are oversize sweatshirts and baggy sweat pants that remind me I'm not a Fashionista anymore.

Rock I read in the paper about the winds in your area.Very bad this yr.I worry about fires.Stay safe.

Linda hope all goes well.

Pam, Used to be the posts just somehow got rerouted to the Health
    Board. Looks like that problem hasn't been eradicated. (Don't think
    I ever used that word before.) Anyhoo, don't think it was anything you
    did; just the computer gremlins.

[This Message was Edited on 12/01/2011]
  11. spacee

spacee Member

to get here....just a heads up.

Oh, I'm fine. The doc just wanted me to take yet another med...just out on
    the market (FDA approved). Gave me a coupon for $35 off. No thanks.
    Not taking it. IBS was the diagnosis

IBS was a disappointing diagnosis cause CFS just got taken out of the
    (it's all in your head group). But IBS is there...so I end up still with
    one "all in your head" thingy.

Rock, are you and Gordon and Zippy ok?? Whew that was some kind
    of wind!! And electricity gone. Guess you won't be posting without
    electricity...if you are out of it.

I have no appts next week so I will be trying to see how I can make room.
    11ppl coming (kids) we have never had this many before. The eldest said
    his kids would love to help ME put up a tree. I wrote him that they would love
    helping HIM put it up.hehe

The Lake Wales docs are looking better and better to me. I just have to drive
    2 miles. One red light. Two miles in Rock's area might take a long time.

Thanks for the well wishes!

12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I disappear into the cave (closet) to paint one side and the baseboards. I'll be glad when it's done.

Rock, I saw all the upturned trees from the Santa Ana winds and it was scary. I hope you are OK. Those winds were higher than what we've gotten in our hurricanes. Yikes! Take care.

Linda, I had horrible IBS almost all my life until I started taking Doxycycline for the mycoplasma infection. It's been gone since. It makes me wonder whether some IBS, like some ulcers, may be caused by bacteria. Many of us have chronic bacterial infections. Could be why so many of us suffer from IBS. Just a humble theory.

Everyone else, I hope y'all are doing well. Sending hugs and prayers everyone's way.

Love, Mikie
  13. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Hope your ok Rock.Bet your electric is out for sure.

It feels so good to hear a song that makes you dance.Haven't done that in a long time.

Yes the IBS dx another label on something they know little about and treat you like it's nothing.I've had it for yrs. and a lot of family members do too.My sisters kids suffered so badly it would bring you to tears but Drs. didn't take it seriously.I have IBS C and over the counter Miralax makes it at least tolerable if I take it everyday.

I wish I had some of Mikie's energy this week.I feel so tired.So much I could do but not up for anything.At least I don't have pain just laziness.Sometimes it goes like that.It'll pass.

Thanks for moving my post.

14. rockgor

Thanks for askin', Guys. Our family is fine. The only problem here was that the street was
    blocked w/ palm fronds. The owner of same, however, picked them all up before
    Gordon had to leave for work. Made a pile 7 feet high and big as a pickup truck.

Mikie, thanks for the heads up re: Indian Lake. I never heard that song before.
    It is charming. Happy. Infectious. Will go listen again when my work here is done. .
    Wonder how come I never heard it before.

Ya know, I've been having frustration dreams for the last few decades. I believe yours
    are more linear than mine. I'm just generally waiting around for something to happen,
    but it's usually not clear what that is. Someone to arrive; something to start? All
    most annoying. Would be fun to dream again of flying like I did when I was a yute.

Nice correction there, Linda. Will be happy to help YOU decorate. Remember when
    Zippy and Barry were both taking the same, or a similar med? Doxycycline. Certainly
    helped Zippy. Hope it's helping you too, Barry.

Why sure, Pam. Be happy to move your post anytime. Sounds kinda risque, huh?

You know if your post disappears, you can look for it in your profile on the health
    board. Doesn't work if you look at the Health Board directly. This may be due to
    some obscure government regulation or the 3rd law of thermodynamics.

15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Linda, I hope your exhaustion flare passes soon. I hate those too because I'm not as sick as a really bad flare but too tired to get anything done. That leads me to depression and anxiety. I don't know where my energy is coming from on the heels of the flare I was in. I'm really pacing myself so I can get this closet project done. I have clothes all over the place. Looks like a horder's house. Miralax is what they gave me as part of the prep prior to my colonoscopy. It's a cousin to antifreeze. It's also being used as food additive to make food keep its creaminess. It's polypropolene glycol. I think antifreeze is polyethylene glycol. Maybe it'll keep us from freezing if the temps drop.

Rock, I know I never heard "Indian Lakes" back in 68. I only heard it when I started listening to Golden Oldies stations. I've only found one other person close to my age who even knows this song. I don't think it was a big hit. It's not particularly cool but there is something about the beat and tune which gets me up and dancing. Cajun music does that to me too. Sooooo glad you escaped injury and damage from the winds. Love the "Cousin Vinny" yute reference. One of my all-time favorite movies. I used to dream of flying. I only dream about it once in a while now.

Today, I hope to finish the closet project. It would be soooo nice just once to finish a project without interruption from a flare. I gave myself a keratin treatment for my hair yesterday and need to go shower and wash it out. When I am in a SS flare, my hair gets crunchy because the oil glands in my scalp stop secreting. I'm not in a flare now but it doesn't hurt to help my hair out now and then.

Scattering hugs and prayers to the four winds for everyone to have a wonderful day.

Love, Mikie
  16. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

So I've been taking something that is a cousin to antifreeze?Oh that's great!Well it works so guess I'll add it to the list of who knows what else.

My crappy nonproductive week did not end today.I was in an irritable nasty mood when I got up.Maybe I didn't notice the irritable part all week because I was alone.Anyway husband told my DS to stay clear of me so I admitted I was a grump and apologized.Got groceries and I made an attitude adjustment.

That's good that your street wasn't hit to hard by wind damage Rock.I saw a woman's house torn in two by a tree falling on it.Wind and trees is my biggest fear in storms.

It will be nice to get the family room back together tomorrow.Wood floor looks nice.We won't be redoing furn. and curtains there after all.Huz says his job will most likely be gone next Spring.We'll finish up what we started and squirrel away all that we can between now and then for retirement.It's been hanging over us for several yrs. so it's almost a relief to expect it for sure.His boss is going out in Feb. so it's a given huz will follow.

I realized yesterday that I won't have to stress about husbands family coming over on Christmas Eve now that FIL isn't here.I can't tell you what a relief that is.A big burden has lifted off my shoulders.I feel that way more and more as time passes.It's good to only have myself to look after.Can't remember a time when I wasn't responsible for somebody really.

I've decided I will bake sugar cookies this yr. to husband's delight.Last yr. I boycotted the whole issue.

17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I love hardwood floors. What type of wood or color are yours? We have to have carpeting on the second floors in condos. The wood looks so nice and it's better for allergies too.

Funny thing--I get really grumpy when I'm in a fatigue flare. I start to do something and nothing goes right and I start swearing like a sailor. That's my cue that I'm not up to doing anyting but vegging.

Right now, I'm in pain and exhasted but the closet is done. TADA! It's so nice to have it all painted, clean and organized.

Mmmmmm! Sugar cookies! Mom and I used to make them at Christmas when I was little. Still have fond memories of that time. I always made them with my kids and they have those memories now. My kids are foodies and Andy likes to cook and bake too. I put together some of my cookie cutters last year for him to keep.

I'm ready to veg out now and just hope all this closet business doesn't put me in another flare. Three days in a cave. Yikes! The last time a shower felt so good was after Hurricane Charley.

Take it easy until your flare passes.

Love, Mikie
  18. spacee

spacee Member

I have two bottles. Mikie what do you think about taking it with TF?
    Yes, Wikipedia says that IBS is spread so much around the world and
    they are looking at 4-5 bacteria that might cause it. This is paraphrased
    from Twin...so might have some errors.

Rock, I bet Gordon only did two courses on Thanksgiving because he is
    going to go all out on the Chinese New Year. I need to google when it is.
    Maybe it has already happened. My brain is trying to bring up some info.
    Oh shoot, I can't remember. Is it that we are all going to get money this

Pam, you remodeling sounds lovely. Stop me if this is offensive but now
    that you know that huz is retiring, I guess you could have waited. But it's
    done and you can relax. Expecially without the inlaws coming!

Yes, Mikie has done an excellent job of attacking her pathogens. I think
    she takes the cake for energy. When I look at how I was, I glad for the
    progress I have made. I guess I have 2-3 hours that are good almost
    daily. The days go by fast. I don't enjoy going to sleep at nite...but I
    still have to do it. I think I am rambling.

Hoarders, that is funny. We look a bit like that particularly the garbage
    can is full. The country "ran out of" the boxes you were to put your
    recycles in, so we didn't get any. We do have a stack by the door to take
    to the Goodwill.

Hope tomorrow is a good day for all!

19. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

The remodel was always with the threat of early retirement in mind.The hope is that we live here several more yrs. and the upgrades help the house value.

I still want to move to Florida but more and more huz finds reasons not to.It was always the plan.I can't take many more winters it gets harder and harder.I don't know if he wants to live out his life here or not he doesn't say for sure he just wanted the house done to his liking.I'll wait til the snow flys to bring up warm weather states again.He can't stand the snow either but forgets until it hits.

The flooring is a dark maple did I say that before?Anyway it's nice and all the work has been worth it.Drapes and furn. are ordered so maybe Jan. finished.So the downstairs is all hardwood and the upstairs carpet.Enough is done to enjoy it but not worth sinking more money until we know what the future plans are.

20. spacee

spacee Member

Pam it is very hard when one is sure of moving to Fla and the other can't
    make a decision. Maybe 2 more winter, yeh? Or bring the motorhome for
    a temp stay in one of the parks where he meets ppl and it doesn't feel
    so strange. Just a thought.

Yep, tried Miralex. Nada. oooh bad for the children! V. Sad for them.
    Since I have let my siblings know, two use the same thing Equate version
    of senocot. So, I will give it a try. I can live with it easy enough when home.
    But the gas attacks when out could be embarrassing.

We are doing the Secret Santa thing with the adults. I have drawn my 2nd
    son's name. Now one of the dils has suggested that we write a poem about
    the person that they can read aloud.

Ok, so Rock, can you write 4-6 lines about my son you have never met?
    Since he has 2 brothers, it has to carefully guarded about making him
    seem like my favorite. His name is Ryan and his brother in law is Brian.

Here is all I have come up with so far. It's pretty sad.

Bet your wife is glad you are Ryan
    not to be confused with her brother Brian.

Oh well, I give up...nevermind. I don't mind not having a poem.
    But incase. He loves football on tv. Reading (Kindle or book)
    Yardwork and cooking. Buc of Tampa and Gators of U of Fla.
    are the football teams he loves.

I used to like to write poems...guess it is true. Use it or you will
    lose it. Lost it, I guess.

Weather was great today. Went to the groc store. I must work on
    slashing the budget. That's my project for the new year!

I have one week's lull before the storm of family coming. How
    did we explode in a few short years? Having 5 in 4 years, I
    suppose. (one is the bride to be.).

I have nothing of interest to say. Hope Mikie get's her closet
    finished. And I will say I feel the same about my house, Pam.
    Enough done to enjoy it but no more money should be put in it.