87 The Lounge during the holidays or whatever state your in.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by spacee, Dec 12, 2011.

1. spacee

spacee Member

They are back. Nope, not the kids. The snowbirds. Boy they flocked in right
    after Thanksgiving. Streets are crowded, of course. Not like Mikie or Rock,
    I imagine.

Yes, Ike has really outdone himself. A huge deal for me. I don't think it
    would have gotten done. I wonder if the day will come that I will say
    "yes, come on down but plan to wash the sheets first thing when you
    get here!" hehe

I am considering how confused the kids will be since St. Nick has already
    arrived in Holland and they left carrots for his horse. But I really don't have
    to worry since they will be at the other grandmother's house for Dec 25.
    Maybe just one of Santa's helper's will drop by because some things were
    overlooked the first time. Hmmm we still have Santa in our mall for picture
    taking. I'll leave that to the parents to explain.

Oh what a tangled web we weave......All for Santa.

Thinking of Mikie and hoping the headache is better!! I guess it is next Monday
    for the injection. It feels like Sunday for me and the injection should be tomorrow.

Of to The Land of Nod...

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, the Snowbirds have arrived. Our roads don't get really bad until after the holidays. By bad, I mean crowded and horrible driving. Now, not all visitors are horrible drivers but with the sheer numbers of Snowbirds, it just becoms more obvious that some people should stay off the roads, including some who live here all year.

Geez, I never considered how international customs might cause Santa confusion. Just having a different Santa at the stores was confusing enough to me as a kid. Have you ever watched Rick Steves Christmas in Europe Special? I'm not sure I wouln't rather visit Europe at Christmas than in the summer or spring.

I posted separately on the injections. I was sick all day but last evening, some of my worst symptoms went away. The shot appears to be working. It may or may not last until I take the second one in two weeks. The most dramatic thing was when I started tearing up and salivating like crazy. I didn't expect the Sjogren's symptoms to be some of the first affected but I'm most grateful.

Sending hugs and prayers for everyone.

Love, Mikie
  3. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

I'm done dx myself and decided to call the Dr. to see why I can't keep anything down.Feel better and then eat a little something and get sick.So anyway he'll see me this evening good enough.

Talked to my GS the other day,the one I was upset with on Thanksgiving.He was telling me his plans and catching up.He's working and going to school and will be putting his house up for sale to move to Indy which is further south then where he is now.My DS isn't happy about it he said.The joy of being a grandma means I can just listen and not get involved.He's young and has to live his life I guess.I'm glad he called I feel better.

Good luck Mikie weird how that's working on the Sjogren's.

4. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Had bloodwork after I saw the Dr. last night.Was dehydrated so picked up an energy drink.This morning I went for a gallbladder scan.Hadn't considered that but it fits my symptoms so I'll find out tomorrow.

How are you doing Mikie?Hope it's going good for you.Linda I'm sure you're enjoying family.Rock still MIA.Hi Barry what's Santa bringing you?

5. spacee

spacee Member

Sounds like good news, Mikie? Right? Wow, tear ducts working!! How
    wonderful is that!!

Pam, gallbladder scan. Surgery for the holidays! Hope not. Or maybe I
    should hope you get it over with? And hopefully feel better? I get really
    dehydrated too. I think that is one reason I wake up in the middle of
    the nite. Can't go back to sleep until I drink hot tea (decaf). Just
    seem parched.

It was something I had never done before. Stood waiting for the 300
    or so ppl on the Air France to depart. The shuttle could only take 30
    ppl and their luggage at one time. Plus there were 4 Delta flights coming
    in also. Our gang was at the end since the girls were fast asleep and
    they waited as long as they could to get off.

It was the ppl who were so interesting. You could kinda tell the French/
    European ppl from the Americans by the way they dressed. If I were
    ever able to go to Europe it would be to ppl watch. But there are so many
    tourists, it would not be the same. Maybe we should just go to the airport
    again when Air France is landing with a boat load of ppl.

After their practice runs at packing, the toiletries still got packed in a most
    inconvenient area. So it had been 2 days without toothbrushes or baths.
    Kinda like the first two days on Survivor (the tv show).

I see that after Dr. Judy got out of jail (the Whittenmore"s have aLOT of
    power to be able to throw Dr. Judy in the slammer , she is still getting grant money to study CFS. I think that is good. She seems to be really on the
    side of CFS patients.

Airport just called (11pm here) to tell us to leave a signed note on the front
    door so they can leave the found luggage. I had already forgotten that they
    lost 2 bags. 15 more mins and I would have heard the phone. Lucky!!

Hope all are doing well or better :)!

6. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

As usual no answers as to why I have nausea every time I eat.Scan came back ok.I really didn't want it to be gall bladder but at least it was an answer.See the doc next week but hopefully it will be no problems by then.At least I got medicine for some relief and can eat something.

Another one of those symptoms with no answers but he thinks I should stay off the Mobic cause we all know all the stuff we take for pain relief is hard on your stomach.

Glad your kids got in alright Linda.

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Now that the stomach virus seems to have gone (knocking on wood) I'm starting to feel better. Yesterday, I was so lightheaded that I had dark patches in my vision. Today, I mailed the rest of Andy's presents, stopped with some presents for my Mom's best friend in the nursing home, and shopped for a few groceries. That's about all I can handle energywise right now. The Sjogren's symptoms are still MIA and my arthritis is vastly improved. The swelling is down in my wrist and fingers. I am sleeping sooooo much better. I don't know whether this will last until the next injection on the 27th but I consider the first injection a success. After this, the injections will be given monthly.

Pam, what kind of scan did you have? If it's an ultrasound, it may not be enough to make a diagnosis. I had to have the nuclear medicine scan which showed my gb wasn't even working even though the ultrasound was "normal." I hope they can find out what's wrong. It sounds like you have an ongoing case of what I was having. Yikes! Prayers going up.

Linda, people watching is one of my favorite pastimes. Ft. Myers gets a ton of European tourists summer and winter. I speak only a very few words in French and German but they loved hearing the Mother Tongue even if only to say, "Thank You," for shopping with our store. I had a goofy idea that people in Paris would all be very fashionable. It's like NYC. Wealthy people were very chic but the everyday people weren't. Of course, that was in '89. It could all be different now. Contrary to what we had heard, the French were very kind to my Mom and me when we were there. They seemed impressed that I tried to speak their language and not just expect them to speak English. Perhaps that's why they were kind. I want to go to Italy one of these days if I can afford it. C'mon LOTTO!!!

Sending hugs and prayers to everyone. I know how busy people get this time of year but I hope everyone can check in and hope everyone is taking the holiday easy and not overdoing.

Love, Mikie
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Well, the computer is back from the garage. I believe they had
    to change the oil or refit the rom-o-memory board. Something
    along those lines.

Y-day was my aunt's 90th birthday. Couldn't call her because
    our phone doesn't allow outgoing long distance calls. Something
    Gordon or his brother arranged, I suppose. You'd think they'd tell
    me since I pay the utility bills.

I called her today using Gordon's cell phone, and as soon as
    I said Hello, my voice got so hoarse it was unintelligible. And
    I think she is somewhat hard of hearing. All in all it was not
    much of a conversation, so I will have to write. Sometimes fate
    is just against us.

Question: What popular song contains the phrase
    "If the fates allow"?

Here's a hard pun fur ya, Mikie. I was listening to a recording of
    Carmen last night. The recording was of a French performance in
    the 1950s and starred an American in the title role. Time Magazine said
    "American Jean Madeira was a coal miner's daughter from
    Illinois who went to Julliard. Her big voice had a dark, anthracite

Glad to hear you're feeling less whoopsy in the tummy. Is it
    due to that peptide business?

Pam, speaking of dresses, I was reading a mystery written by
    a female author. She referred to a "periwinkle shift". At first
    I thought it was a type of dress, but then I decided it must be

BTW, I saw Jean Madeira in a concert during the 60s. She
    looked like a model from Vogue. Slim and elegant in a black

Linda, when you said somebody went to jail, I was thinking of
    Judge Judy rather than Dr. Judy. I am easily confusiated. (Not
    to be confused w/ the song by Leonard Bernstein "I Am Easily

You said you were off to the land of Nod. Here's a question
    fur ya. Where is the land of Nod?

Barry, I didn't know CA had wild turkeys. Are they skinny as
    opposed to the Thanksgiving bird? Gordon needs to give me
    a haircut, but he's been busy w/ errands and cooking today.
    Right now he's in the kitchen making sniggerdoodles and
    potato salad and doing something w/ some beef.

Oh, yeah. "If the fates allow" is from "Have Yourself a Merry
    Little Christmas." I will tell you an anecdote about the composer
    next time if the post man doesn't steal Uncle Wiggles striped

And the land of Nod is East of Eden.

9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Looooove those puns. If the singer had not been American, I would have thought her to be a "French wine." Or course, then she would be, Jeanne. Or is Madeira a Spanish wine. Well, now I am confused.

I think I've had two things going on: A stomach virus and changes due to the injection. The improvements continue. Don't know how long it will last but am hoping it lasts until the 27th when I get injection number two.

We have wild turkeys here in FL but they aren't nice and plump and not attractive enough to make me want to eat one. If I had to hunt and kill my own food, I'd likely be a vegetarian.

Is your computer an automatic or does it have a "shift" key? Is the garage geared up to work on it? Maybe a mouse just got in and caused problems. Alas, my puns pale in the brilliant light of yours. Still, I do enjoy a well-turned pun. I bow to the master.

Hugs and prayers to all.

Love, Mikie
  10. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Wrote a long post and DS sidetracked me and I lost it.

Anyway glad the injection worked for you Mikie and hope for continued success.So glad your computer got fixed Rock and your humor can continue.Family time Linda?

Got a new computer today after last week I first dropped the Net book then spilled a glass of water into the keyboard.I hated that thing but I swear I didn't do all that on purpose ha ha.DS the computer wiz told huz I should probably just get a laptop.He'll probably fix it sooner or later but I won't miss it.

Went to Olive Garden for lunch to use last yrs. gift card before it expires.I did very careful planning with resting all day on Fri. and took lots of medicine as needed to get through a cocktail party put on by husband's boss Fri. evening.It meant so much to huz especially after being so sick all week.I'm so happy I did that for him.

I suspect I did have something like you did Mikie in addition to stomach being irritated by so much Tylenol and Nsaids.Watching my diet for awhile and taking care.

11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so glad you felt well enough to go out to eat and to the party. Congrats on your new computer. I got a new laptop last year and loooooove it. I sure hope your stomach issues were a virus and not your gb.

Thanks for the sweet good wishes for my injections. I woke up at 2:30 this morning but went back to sleep until 6:30. Wow! I never get good sleep like that. Seems as though my sleep continues to adjust but it's better and longer sleep than before. I continue to be able to salivate and my eyes are moist. If this continues, I may be able to go back to wearing contacts again. I do love my glasses, though. Yesterday, I ate a piece of plain bread, no butter, without choaking on it.

I'm still tired but felt I wanted to redo my towel bar in the master bath. When Andy was about two, I suspect he hung from it as it was pulled away from the wall a bit. It's been on my list of "To Do's" for four years. I centered it better below a shelf and moved it. It entailed using some good sized anchors for the screws. Those plastic anchors don't do well with the power drill/driver at the end and I had to finish it with a screwdriver. I used my left hand and it required a lot of torque. Afterward, I realized it didn't hurt my wrist. Wow! I'm right handed but ever since my bicep tendon repair, I do things with either hand without thinking about it. I filled and sanded the old screw holes and repainted it. How great is it to get something on the list done!

Hope your improvement continues. Hang in there.

Love, Mikie
  12. jole

jole Member

where the time goes, and I have nothing to show for it :( I do read and keep up with you all more than I type, and always wish you well. My life is about the same as Barry's I think. The absence of sun affects me terribly with the depression, and the cold ups the pain. Really would like a warmer climate!

My DD was looking on the internet for Christmas ideas for her 16 yr. old nephew. She ran across some unique gifts......like a sq. ft. of land in Ireland for $50. We had a chuckle out of that. Other than bragging rights, what good would it be? You couldn't visit it, because you'd be tresspassing to get there. You probably would have to stand on it with one foot.....and doubt if you could do that because I'm betting it's on the side of a cliff. And if it were possible to stand on it, your ass would be tresspassing! She declined the offer.

Mikie, those shots sound amazing, and I can only imagine how it must feel to have tears and saliva again, not to mention less pain :) Hope it continues for you.

Whoops, hubby just came in for lunch.....knew I shouldn't have started this...hugs to all.......Jole
  13. bct

bct Active Member

I am so glad, cause the sun will be higher every day, and ah --- more sun. In the summer I will whine about the sun and heat! I have so many trees all around me, that I am much in the shade during this time of year. Drear.

Ah, Jole. Are you having those "memory storms" again? They sure are hard to combat, aren't they? I try to pick out the good in them IF I can, and turn off the bad --- easier said than done, don't cha know? And I know you do.

Rock, Mikie, Linda -- Our wild turkeys were introduced about 40 years ago, 30 miles to the east of us. They prospered, and gradually made it to my neck of the woods, where we've been seeing them for the last four years or so. I guess they will keep on marching till they come to the sea. And yes, they are very UGLY . At first they were such an unusual sight that people thought they were black garbage bags as they drove by in their cars. So funny!

Mikie, I sure hope those peptides continue to work. I am wishing you the very best results from them, and I know I speak for all of us.

Richard calls. Lunch (split pea soup -- homemade) is ready. And I must go.

Love to all,
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thank you sooooo much for your kind good wishes. Just talked to my daughter and she has some kind of virus and is as exhausted as I have been and also has the lightheadedness. I slept in today and, as if that weren't enough, went back to bed for most of the day.

I've always celebrated Winter Solstice as well as the changing of the other seasons. It gives me a kind of grounded pleasure to celebrate what our "pagan" ancestors celebrated. Being out in nature and noticing the changes energizes me. I don't know whether I'll be able to tolerate sun once the shots work or not. I would think I will be able to but, like everything else, the shots aren't a cure. It'll be up to my own body/brain to heal myself.

Yes! Our turkeys aren't the plump birds we see for Thanksgiving. Black plastic bags describes them perfectly. We also have the Muscovy ducks which aren't the peacocks of the bird world either. Sometimes, I have to do an adjustment and realize that no matter how ugly or creepy some critters are, God made them and they are as sacred as anything else in nature. I think the Founding Fathers wanted the turkey for our national bird but the eagle won out.

Happy Winter Solstice to you and everyone who celebrates it.

Love, Mikie
  15. spacee

spacee Member

The weatherman said that winter was the end of the week...not that anyone in
    Florida would notice...hehe. Wondering if the Native Americans in Florida
    ever thought of soltice...I guessing not. But if I lived in the north I would LOVE

Have read your posts. Rock, I am so glad you gave the answers. I am usually
    here late at nite and I'm so happy to not have to look them up. :)

Seems most are on the mend in one way or other.

The troops (family) were here. The 2 yo is crying for Holland. Which somehow
    reminds me of 'Don't cry for me Argentina". It's the house she wants cause it
    is all she remembers being in. But Lexington Ky is the new home and it sounds like a neat place.

Doc appt tomorrow which tends to get me in a foul mood but it will pass. The plumber was here while the kids were visiting, isnt' that always the way? Ike
    has prostate problems back so back on abx. That's about all what's new here.

We ordered a yoga dvd for really old people. A good bit of it is done sitting/or
    lying down. I think it is my speed....Ike's too. One woman even dones it lying on her bed. It hasn't come yet. One of those PBS telethon deals. (PBS Public
    Broadcasting Station.

Tu de la loo.

Lindy Lou

16. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

It's 3 in the morning and here I am.I'm not one for insomnia but was up last night too.FIL is in the final stages of dying and shouldn't make it to much longer.We delt with family members all day and getting Hospice to put him on 24hr, care.Stubborn man refusing pain meds and is in terrible pain so we've made sure he gets it anyway.He was more comfortable.7 kids means some are in denial so we had to work through that.

I'm sure that's why I'm up.Everyone was crying but no tears from me.Don't have them dry as a bone.Huz is a mess and was up at 1 but sleeping now.Not a nice holiday for us huh but it will be a blessing for him to pass he's outlived his body.

Sorry to be a downer.Things are for the best.

17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Linda, so sorry about Ike's problem. What a downer, especially around the holidays. What is it about the holidays which brings illness? My finger nails always weaken and start breaking starting around Thanksgiving. Now, compared to prostate problems, it's nothing but it does strike me as strange. I likely got the mycoplasma infection, which triggered my CFIDS/ME full blown, out in the holiday shopping crowds 21 years ago. Another reason to shop early and/or shop online.

I'm ashamed to say I don't know much about Native American tribes and their culture. I do know that they were very tuned in to nature and found everything sacred in nature. The Caloosa Indians inhabited this area and there are shell mounds all over. I really should get with it and find out more. Many of our holiday traditions come from pagan European ancestors' celebrations. Many believe that the stone circles in Europe marked the changing of the seasons as the sun shone through the openings in the stones. Has anyone here ever read the "Outlander" series of books. They are really good, based on historical events but completely fiction with a touch of the mystical. Lots of adventure and sex.

My ins. co. sent me a DVD of Tai Chi and Yoga for the old and infirm. I tried the Tai Chi but it hurt my knees to put weight on them and swivel. I have yet to try the Yoga. Once this fatigue leaves, I think I'll give it a go.

Pam, I'm so sorry about your FIL. I know there's a reason for everything but I just don't understand why people outlive their bodies. Hospice is great about not letting the dying suffer. It's so hard for the family to watch. When death comes, even when it's expected, there is relief but also grieving. No matter how sick someone is or how long he or she has been sick, it is still a shock. I'm so sorry you are not sleeping. Try to get rest.

I'm sending up prayers for everyone. We all need them.

Love, Mikie
  18. spacee

spacee Member

I know no one hopes they outlive their body. Our family deals with grief
    differently. We laugh. We've never been normal :) At least both parents
    made it to at least 80 or more in good health. That isn't happening for me
    unless Mikie's injections cure her and, then I can have a bit of hope. But
    I do feel for you, Pam and your huz and extended family.

Mikie has an inquiring mind! I don't know much about Native American's at
    all. Did watch the documentary on the famous search for the northern passage
    across the US. Can't think of the name. The Indian woman who went with them
    was pregnant, gave birth and breast fed. Her husband went along too.

On the new tonite, they said that they figured out where the Stonehenge stones
    came from. Over in Wales. But how they got to where they are is a mystery.

I had a doc appt today. Nothing out of the ordinary cept that he did comment that my 'cheap' shoes were making my feet hurt. Personally, I think it my bunion and that lump that is in the middle of my foot, not my 'cheap' shoes.
    I guess he thinks I should wear Birenstocks? Oh, heck, I just remembered
    that I bought some years ago cause they were half price or more. Time to
    bring them out! I was saving them for my old age. I guess that is NOW!

I'll join Mikie in prayers for everyone. We do all need them.

19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's not just the Stonehenge stones but how did the Egyptians get those stones in place for the pyramids? Where did the stone heads come from on Easter Island? Yes, inquiring minds want to know.

I wear cheap shoes all the time. The only exception was the Sketchers I wore to work. My feet have spread out like a peasant girl's from wearing thongs. My arse has spread out too but I can't blame it on thongs :)

Just checking the boards early so thought I'd chime in. Hope everyone has a great day.

Love, Mikie
  20. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

FIL passed at midnight and so is out of pain.We all got to say good-bye.He lived to 96 a very long life.Funeral after Christmas so we can all relax and spend a nice holiday with our families.

I need a stupid haircut in the middle of this,how annoying.I need to take a page from Barry and learn to cut my own.Life would be so much simpler.I took so many sleep meds last night it would have knocked out a horse.Got the midnight call and rushed to the hosp.Family members were teasing me about how tired I was until I told them why.We got a chuckle out of it.Came home and slept though so that helps.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.