A Beautiful Dog

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pippi1313, May 16, 2009.

1. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I've been reading posts recently about your dogs. & I have to tell you about my best ever dog experience. It saved my life:

It was my 5th week in the hospital. I couldn't even sit up by myself, much less get into a wheelchair or leave my room. And of course, everyone was much to "busy" to help me do anything. I was thoroughly imprisoned.
    I didn't even have a window in my room. Didn't know day from night. I was completely missing my favorite season of the year. It was October. It was also my birthday...

I was beyond merely being depressed. I don't have to come out & say it. Y'all know what I mean...

Then a miracle happened.

2 ladies came into the room with a therapy dog.

Therapy dogs are trained to obey all commands, every time.

This beautiful, giant, golden dog walked right over & laid her head on my bed. With what little bodily control I had left, I clumsily reached out & stroked the dogs' head. I looked into her eyes. She looked deeply into mine.

Then she did something that stunned her trainer:
    That big, beautiful, silky, creature climbed right up into my bed & snuggled up alongside me!
    The trainer was mortified! She commanded the dog to get off the bed. The dog didn't budge, except to snuggle a bit closer to me.
    The dog & I looked into each others eyes. We knew. She was right where she was supposed to be, & she knew it!

The trainer was talking to her companion (the human companion), exclaiming how (I forget Dog's name) had NEVER disobeyed an order.

But the humans didn't exist to me.
    I knew what they wanted. They wanted Beautiful Dog to hurry along, so they could complete their duty-rounds.
    Happily, Beautiful Dog was smarter than them.

I looked at the trainer one time. I mumbled one word: "Please?"

She finally understood, & backed away several steps, so Beautiful Dog could comfort me in peace...

Humans are slow, but sometimes they do catch on eventually...
    But, humans are also quick to forget.
    If I could say one fervent, true, & honest prayer - it would be for Beautiful Dogs' human to never forget that sometimes, the dog knows best...

I don't know how long Beautiful Dog & I stayed like that.
    I do know that I have never been so thoroughly comforted, before or since that day.

I'm sure the humans didn't grasp the seriousness of what transpired that day. But I absolutely KNOW the dog understands...

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

What a beautiful story. A golden lab?

Sorry to hear you were in such straits. Hope you are greatly improved today.

I'm going to copy your post and send it to an old friend of mine who loves dogs.
    She always has 3 or 4. Right now she has a golden cocker puppy.

3. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Don't know what kinda dog she was. Big, golden, BEAUTIFUL! She was as long as I was tall, snuggled up against me.

I don't know what breed, but I know what KIND of dog she was: PERFECT!!!

I am greatly improved since then. I still struggle, but that was the sickest I ever was.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/16/2009]
  4. jole

jole Member

That story gave me chills! But I know dogs have a great instinct about who needs comforting, and they certainly give it! They are wonderful animals.

I've been meaning to tell you if you need adopted (I'm sure your mother won't appreciate this) I'd be more than willing to do so! You remind me so much of my one daughter...she's full of vim and vigor....says things the way they are....has a heart of pure gold....and a terrific sense of humor. She'd love you as much as I. People just love her because she's so "real". I have four other kids too...just not quite like her..lol...

She also loves animals to death...talks to them, about them, and for them. Has me laughing so hard sometimes when she tells me about her dog "talking" to her and what he says! Totally realistic, though.

Anyway, thanks for the story....it made me sad yet happy all at the same time***Jole***
  5. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

omg - amazing story.

actually brought a tear to my eyes.

dogs are -the-best-thing-ever! dogs are like a spiritual experience for me. sure sounds like you had a spiritual and moving moment with that dog at the hosp.

i have an american eskimo. he is beautiful as all heck. and so sweet. got em from the pound.

hugs to ya
  6. springwater

springwater Active Member

Thanks for sharing Beautiful Dogs story...arent dogs the greatest? Happy you had that experience.

Julie - i love St bernards...they are simply bee yoo ti ful! I just love that they are so big and yet so gentle.

God Bless
  7. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I appreciate all of your replies. I just HAD to tell about Beautiful Dog.

Yes. Some things are beautiful & sad at the same time.

Beautiful Dog brought me back from the brink of a very dark & horrible place.
    I was SO far beyond the reach of humans then. By then, I hadn't even eaten anything for several days. I had truly given up.
    When Beautiful Dog finally had to leave my hospital room, I cried (for the first time in a LONG time), & it was as if my soul began to wake up.

It was the beginning of my journey back. An odyssey that eventually, amazingly, led me here to be among you all!

How cool is THAT!!!

PS: Rock - Feel free to tell the whole world about Beautiful Dog!!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 05/17/2009]
  8. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I'm sure Mom won't mind if ya adopt me for a little while! LOL!
    She could probably use a break! hahahahaha

9. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I'll definitely check out that one!!!!!!

10. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I have to tell you, I have a yellow lab, and he is definetly my therapy dog. He is the best support that i get from any human, and that is the truth. He is loyal, always happy to see me, never mad at me, never judges me, just gives me kisses and hugs all the time.

If i didn't have him, I would be alone in all this, he knows when i don't feel good so he comforts me, he knows when i am happy so we go for a walk, he knows my every move and is always there for me.

I know when he is gone i am going to be devastated but I will get another when that does happen even though it probaby wont be the same. I love my Jack so much!!!!!!

11. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Hi All!

I was telling a neighbor about Beautiful Dog, & showed him this post.
    He asked a question, but I don't have an answer...

Why the heck did it take 5 weeks for them (the hospital peeps) to get a dog in there?

Can anyone tell me: Is there a shortage of therapy dogs and/or trainers/handlers? Or does the hospital staff simply not want to be "bothered" with a break in the routine? Don't they LIKE dogs?

I mean, heck! They should have dogs in there EVERY DAY, imo!!!
  12. JimB51

JimB51 Member

That's wonderful! When I lived in my home years ago I used to lay upstairs in my bed alone in the dark day after day for months. Had a candle lit just to stare at (like a campfire) and to try not to feel so alone.
    - my dog used to leave everyone downstairs and come up to lay next to me for hours at a time. I was so grateful. I just put my arm around her and held her close. -- and felt a little peace ... and loved.
    -A year later I had to put her to sleep. It hurt so bad 'cause I had to put down the one who loved me and stayed with me when I needed someone so badly. I held her close to me as the vet injected her. She collapsed and was gone but I was still hanging on to her body, just like I used to do - when she was comforting ME. The tears just poured out of me like a river.
    Nobody seemed to understand why I didn't "snap out of it" for a few days. .. I never told them.
    WOW! ... didn't mean to go into all that. I never talked about it before. - Thanks Pippi. Maybe I needed that

.Do you watch The Dog whisperer?(National Geographic channel). My Favorite show on TV
    It's on everyday I think .. and most of late afternoon and evenings on Fridays.
  13. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I understand why you never talked about it before. So very few people would understand.

I do.

Thank you for honoring me by sharing this memory of your Beautiful Dog!

No, I can't watch "dog whisperer", tho I'd like to. I don't have cable or dish. But every time I'm in the hospital, I keep the TV on "animal planet"!!!

14. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

sounds to me like you had an angel visist you that day .. Dogs truly are special.. I thank you for sharing this story with us.. and thank God you are able to share with us. I pray you have a Blessed day my dear. soft Huggles .

I don;t know how I would have been able to cope without my little pug Chato bear. . he always sems to know when I need him most..

just yesterday while working , sitting at my desk between calls. crying from the pain..he comes up and nudges me one leg I kept crying goes around to the other leg and nudges.. cought mommys att. then .. looks up at me .. How could you not love that face.. he just knows.. then he does something silly to make me laugh..hides his face under my robe thats hanging off my chair.and looks up at me from under my robe LOL.. LOL.. he is whats gets me through each day... I am truly Blessed to be able to work from home and have my dog with me.. truly Blessed.

Take care all... Soft Huggles.
    Spirit. :)
  15. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

How beautiful that story was about the BD in the hospital. How sweet he/she was. Yes, I do guess thqt some peoplle are really slow, even when the peope invovled seem to be "out to lunch".

That doggie sounds so sweet, even if he/she may have taken up most of the bed ( : !!

Thanks for the levely story.

16. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Just the mental picture of that little pug face made me smile! :)

Yes, I agree with you. Although the word "angel" has been so overused that it has become a cliche, there IS something mystical about our animal companions. Whether the animal is a life-long companion, or is one who arrives just in time to alleviate a crisis - they just simply KNOW what to do!

Yes, BD did take up most of the bed! LOL! But she was the exactly perfect size to snuggle up against! :)

Hugz 2 All!