a better chocolate... make it with xylitol

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by victoria, Feb 5, 2005.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

I found this while browsing specifically for a chocolate recipe made with xylitol; I haven't tried it yet, but I'm planning on it!

If you are not familiar with xylitol, it is a naturally-occurring sugar alcohol, not a sugar. Xylitol can actually help to heal dental caries - the bacteria that cause caries are disabled by ingesting Xylitol since it is actually a sugar alcohol and not a "regular" sugar.

It is approved as a sweetener in more than 35 countries and has been used since the 1960s in foods such as chewing gum, gumdrops and hard candy, and in pharmaceuticals and oral health products.

It is found in many foods, including fruits, berries, mushrooms and lettuce. It is not a strange or artificial substance to our bodies, but is a normal part of everyday metabolism. Xylitol is metabolized independently of insulin and is absorbed slowly, making it a low-glycemic sweetener. Its safety has been proven in long-term clinical studies.

The white crystalline powder is made from plants such as birch and other hard wood trees and fibrous vegetation such as corn cobs. It has the same sweetness and bulk as cane sugar, with one-third fewer calories. It can replace sugar cup-for-cup.

It was not marketed as a sweetener because the price was twenty times that of sugar. Lower prices have made it possible to make xylitrol available to the home cook, but it is still relatively expensive. .

MAGIC DISAPPEARING CHOCOLATE FUDGE (with xylitol)

1 stick (1/2 cup) tablespoons butter
    2/3 cup xylitol
    1 8-ounce carton of whipped cream cheese
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    3/4 cup (or more) walnut pieces
    1/4 cup (or more) grain-sweetened chocolate chips

1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, then remove from heat.
    2. Stir in the xylitol with a wooden spoon. Let stand about a half an hour to cool to room temperature.
    3. Add the cream cheese and beat with an electric hand mixer until the mixture is free from lumps. Start the mixer on low to keep melted butter from spattering.
    4. Add the cocoa powder and beat until well incorporated.
    5. Fold in the walnut pieces and chocolate chips.
    6. Line a loaf pan with a piece of parchment paper large enough to go up the sides. This will make it easier to remove the fudge from the pan.
    7. Smooth the mixture into the loaf pan and refrigerate several hours, or until firm.
    8. Remove the fudge from the pan by pulling up the edges of the parchment paper.
    9. Cut into squares and serve.

2. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

Hi Victoria!

This was neat! I have never heard of this xylitol before.

When I came down to the USA from Canada I had found I was allergic to corn in all forms! So that meant cutting everything with corn syrup out of my diet!

This is something very cool that I will have to check into!

TYVM Brenda
  3. jef40

jef40 New Member

I was put on the sugar yeast diet when I was a teen-ager. I would go and get the sugar free chocolate and then ned up in the bathroom. These things tend to have a laxitive effect on most people. That was for the Mannitol, so I'm not sure about xylitol, but I suspect you could have the same problem if not careful.

I wonder what chocolate ex-lax is made of????
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

that is currently used in low-carb sweets is also a sugar alcohol, and can cause a laxative reaction, altho I've never experienced it.

But I haven't binged on anything made with it - or xylitol- either, lol. I'm sure it probably depends on the person. And too much sugar is bad too of course.

At least the good thing about xylitol, which has been around for a long time, is that it does kill the bacteria that cause cavities.

V
  5. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

The only chocolate that I can eat at all is Hershey's either a plain bar or with almonds.

Almost everything else has corn sryup so I may just stick to that lol.

Interesting topic though. Do you also have IBS? I find the caffine does act as the laxitive in the food.

Anyhow sounds like a poopy subject so I shall retreat while I can lol.

TC Brenda
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

No I don't have IBS thankfully, and a small amount of caffeine for me is actually beneficial that way, lolol. Even tho I try to eat high fiber as much as I can...

now high fiber chocolate, hmmmmmmmm, that's a thought, but can't imagine how that would work unless you dip blackberries?

:)
    V