A call for recommendations for research / books

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TNhayley, Jun 2, 2003.

1. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

After reading layinglow's post about brain damage (wow) I would like to ask those of you who have the time and inclination to give a short list of what books you think are best in the pursuit of researching our DD. Where to start to learn about the CNS, etc? Or any book that you think is a must have? Devin Starlanyl's books have fascinated me, but I am lacking in fundamental knowledge. Hope my request makes sense as I usually don't read/post at night. ;-) Thanks for any and all replies! Hugs,
    Hayley
  2. ZosoLight

ZosoLight New Member

Hi TNhayley,

This site (ImmuneSupport) has the best database I have found. Use the search box on the first page.

Some book Titles:

"Fatigued to Fantastic" Jacob Teitelbaum(sp?)

"Sick and Tired?, reclaim you Inner Terain" by Robert Young and Shelly Redford

"The Canary and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" by Majid Ali

We must all become our own doctors if we are to beat this thing.

Zosolight
  3. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia and Environmental
    Illness by Burton Goldberg

It's an alternative medicine Guide by 26 drs
    Mine is dated 1998

Lynn
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

If Devin's books are a little heavy for you with the medical terms, get a copy of 'Merck Manual of Medical Information', it comes in paper back, large paperback, and hardcover (which is expensive), I got the large paperback ($19.95), it is great at explaining the different illnesses in terms that I can understand, and I am not in the medical field.

Also another good one is; 'Prescription for Nutritional Healing'(Third Edition) by Phyllis Balch, and James F.Balch,MD. Great for all kinds of supplements, herbs, vitamins etc. It cost; $23.95, huge book, and very easy to understand.

To me, the best are Devin's on FM/CFS, also 'From Fatigue to Fantastic' by Teitelbaum.

I have over tweny books on FM/CFS, and I like the two above the best.

By the way, you can buy some of these used at Barns and Nobel and Amazon on line.

Hope this helps....................

Shalom, Shirl
  5. Stillkicking

Stillkicking New Member

For the best book out explaining sinus/nasal problems and how to treat them I recommend:

"The Sinusitis Help Book" by M.Lee Williams, M.D.

Sinusitis is a major cause of chronic fatigue and this book can help in understanding many of the CFS/FM symptoms like headache, low-grade fever, sleep disturbances, and sore throats. This book is exceptionally well written and understandable.
  6. jean615

jean615 New Member

I find the "best books" are books written by ones dd with Fms.

7. Elbryan

Elbryan New Member

Thie one is written in a simple enough manner for most to understand without questioning anyone.

The Fibromyalgia Survivor

Mark Pellegrino MD

He is a survivior
  8. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

I'm finding myself wishing I had taken more biology type classes in college instead of geology and anthropology. I feel like I need to understand how things are supposed to work to start to comprehend how things are not working for us. I'll be checking out all your suggestions! I am thankful for this board where everyone shares so selflessly of their time and caring! Hugs,
    Hayley
  9. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I just wanted to say that I read one of Pellegrino's
    books and found it was useless to me. There was
    nothing in it that I didn't already know. However, I do a lot of research so that may be why. THe one I have
    by him is FMS: managing the Pain. Maybe the survivor one is better?
  10. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have both of Pellegrino's books, 'Inside Fibromyalgia' and 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome', in my opinion he relies too much on meds.

Some of what he says was fine, but the best books to me so far, are Devin's . She does research many ways of helping with these illnesses. Not just drugs.

Shalom, Shirl

11. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Yes, I have Devin's book. I really didn't find anything of value in Pellegrino's and was quite disappointed.
    Devin's book is really quite excellent!
    Glad I wasn't the only one who didn't like Pellegrino.
    Lynn