A Chiropractor's CURE for FM...What a Joke

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kellyamos, May 6, 2008.

1. kellyamos

kellyamos New Member

I just had to share this with you all. I am 46 and was dx with RA in 1999 and then FM in 2005. I have been seeing a pain doc for 3 years and the pain meds do allow me to at least still work and be able to get out of bed.

My old boyfriend (from High School) is a Chiro in Paris, Indiana and is the Chiro for the Indianapolis Colts for the past 12 years. He and I have kept in touch once in awhile over the years. He is very good at the Chiro stuff, but he was WAY OFF on what he thinks is a "cure" for FM.

Last Friday, I decided to send him an e-mail and ask him if he sees or treats FM patients and what does he recommend for treatment.

He replied back and said that he sees many FM patients and the "only" cause of FM is a poor diet and lack of exercise. He then mentioned about how docs just prescribe pills after pills and just makes the FM sufferers get worse.

He also mentioned that the longer a person has FM, the longer it will take to "cure" them by being on a healthy diet and lots of exercise. He said he will call me this week to discuss further.

Well, I blasted him back in an e-mail and told him FM is NOT only from poor diet and lack of exercise and that I do eat very healthy, but exercise makes me and many FM suffers much worse.

I can't wait to talk to him and tell him that he needs to get a clue on FM treatment. This man is a multi-millionaire and it bothers me that he is seeing many FM patients (as he stated) and probably charging them an arm and a leg just to tell them to change their diet and exercise more and they will be cured.

Sorry for the long post and I will let you all know how our conversation went. Should be very interesting...

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

What an idiot this man is.

I spent a small fortune on cranial osteopathy only to end up with dreadful & seemingly permanent neck & shoulder pains that I didn't have before. These people can be dangerous.
  3. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Before he calls you, read the hummingbirds website on WHY exercise is DANGEROUS for us. YOu can also send him the study on cortisol dropping when we exercise. Cortisol is protective.

He swore to first DO NO HARM. Pathetic.

4. Didoe

Didoe New Member

Last year on disability, I was seeing a chiro after being diagnosed with FM.

He also went on and on with the standard chiro belief that medicines interfer with the work a chiro does to correct internal problems, the same problems that cause us to feel 'sick' or in pain etc. Its all misalignment of the spine.

The fact that he used a vibrating machine that felt like a drill and left me in agony for 2 days afterwards, didnt fit into his neat little idea of what FM is and how chiro can help it. When I was diagnosed during that period also with RA, he warned me the drugs would be prescribed...pure poison he said.

The joint pain and inability to do much got so bad meds were prescribed. Then I had 2 emergency surgeries within 6 months of each other. I kept receiving postcards from his office, come in for your adjustment, missing too many appts.I wrote a personal note to him, mistakenly thinking there was a freindship besides the medical aspect. I never learn. I mentioned 2 surgeries and taking prednisone for RA and said when things calm down I would come in.

Not a word from him since then.
  5. Doober

Doober New Member

different types of fields in the medical world.

Some require years of school. Others not as long.

These folks should not be DX'ing, suggesting "Cures" or giving medical advice in fields they do not specialize in or were trained for(Especially chiros).

Everyone these days act like experts, but they have nothing to back up their "theories".

My response when people say these things is, "Where is the clinical research study on this? I would like to read the results of the research".

Because without proof and results of tests and studies. These are all just theories, not hard facts.
  6. smokiebones

smokiebones New Member

My DR has been telling me to go to the chiro. for my shoulder pain, he thinks it is "mouse arm". I did not make an appt. with the chiro because I am soooooo scared he is going to hurt me! So last visit to my DR he had his nurse call and make an appt., Oh brother!

Now I have to go cuz all my friends and faimly tell me how I am gonna "feel like a brand new person" HOG WASH, I bet!

The appt. is tomorrow... I'll let ya know if I can move afterward!
  7. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I have had my daughter's chiro call me(at my request)to tell me what his treatment for FM was....It is advertised in the phone book that he treated FM...

After a discussion of my situation, he told me he couldn't do anything until he saw my xrays....he wanted me to call my OLD chiro and get the xrays...umm, no, i don'twant to call the place that is ticked at me for dumping them!!

but, the point is, he never really said what he did for people...and he kept telling my daughter to have me come in because he thought he might be able to help me...

on the phone he said that he can help some people but not all...it just depends...

i am bedbound....i don't leave the house for much....and a routine, repeating appointment that probably won't do anything scares me off...

so, no info here...doc was very vague....
  8. Doober

Doober New Member

reason I do not see chiros is because of the first and only time of seeing one.

I had 2 appts. One was just a consult. The 2nd one was the one he did the "Adjustments".

He pulled on my arms and then did the neck/head adjustment where he "cracked" my neck.

Before this app I never once had my neck crack, after that, when ever I move my head a certain way or too fast, my neck cracks on it's own.

This is the reason why I hestitated at first. And the reason why I never went back.
  9. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Now I have to go cuz all my friends and faimly tell me how I am gonna "feel like a brand new person" HOG WASH, I bet!

Your loved ones are forcing you... get some new loved ones!

Are they going to be there to pick up the pieces when you are sick for days or weeks?

I wouldn't go. You didn't set the appt. you are not req'd to keep it.

I would also want studies proving by scientific research that it helps. They cannot provide that!

I would cancel. You have only yourself as true advocate of your health. I wouldn't risk getting worse. There is no known benefit and great risk. Just a massage done too deeply can trigger toxin release (which is great EXCEPT that our bodies don't get the toxins our fast enough).

Just my opinion
  10. simpsons

simpsons Member

i hear everything that you say. However i have seen good osteopaths in the past who have eased me out of pain when all my doctor wanted to do was give me strong painkillers.

i would say check out the reputation of the professional before you go get a personnal recommdation preferably from a patient with Me/cfs or fm.

personnaly i have heard some real horror stories about chiropracors in contrast to the positive ones i have heard about osteopaths.

my understanding is that there is a nerve system that runs down the spine and if parts of the back are out of alignment this places strain/pressure on the nerves. if part of the back is out of alignment the muscles are put under strain and this can cause muscle pain

i find infused oil of hypericum perforatum (st johns wort) very soothing relieving pain on the nerves and muscles either a few drops rubbed on the area or in a bath.

good luck in putting your friend right i hope he changes his idea's

11. Anne7680

Anne7680 New Member

It seems we can't win whether we go with an alternative or main stream doctor.

I think the answer, which people above are saying is that it depends on the doctor and there are good and bad on each side.

Right now I am worried about my daughter seeing a Chiropractor for lower back pain. However, her doctor reccomended it and she has a great doctor. I am just surprised she did not recommend a physical therapist.

When my daughter suffered from headaches fifteen years ago, my ex without my knowledge, which is another story, took her to a Chiropractor. I think he did a neck adjustment and she ended up with one of her worse headaches.

I guess this underscores the need for doctor's to be educated.

The ex boyfriend sounds like a soap opera, LOL

I have family in Crawfordsville and in South Bend. I am assuming that Paris is near Indiana. My dad in C'ville, is about 40 miles from Indy. I live in Illinois about 70 miles from my dad.

I also think the website that tells about PEM is a good idea and I think I will copy it as I see my new PCP tomorrow though he is suppose to be Fibro/CFS friendly.

Keep us posted on how your appointment goes.

Take care,

12. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

You have stated many many times that you doubt if you have or ever have had FM....Your success with a chiro might be another clue that you don't...

You are in such excellent health that sometimes I wonder why you are here so much. If I felt as good as you did, the last place I would be is on a computer.

By the way, due to your abundance of advice on Grapeseed extract and vitamin D, I actually started it! The jury is still out, as I have only been on the grapeseed stuff a month and you say it takes a long time to feel a difference, but I have a ton of patience.

I added the vitamin D on my own.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/07/2008]
  13. anchor

anchor Member

my chiro - he has a "fibromyalgia wellness center" and he gave my life back to me.

enough said.

they are not all good, many are bad and will hurt you - so it's a tricky thing to figure out.

i go 2 x month and my 3 children have been regularly.

14. Winnie15

Winnie15 New Member

Hi there .. I'm new to this chat site, it's great to meet you all.

I went to a chiro 3 weeks ago, told him I had fibro and he said ' Fibro is diagnoised when everything else has been ruled out, basically they don't know what you have so they called it fibro'

I was insulted! - I thought you poor man left in the dark about something so important that affects many peoples lives!

I wanted to 'chew him up' but realized that some people are just very mis-informed

15. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

It's really odd that you could place 5 chiropractors in a room and get five different medical opinions on fibromyalgia.

To my good fortune, my chiropractor wholeheartedly believes in fibro as an illness/syndrome, and while he feels mild exercise is beneficial for many afflicted, he knows it is not the final answer. And everyone should be eating a healthy diet, so your chiro friend's pat solution is ridiculous. I am starting to firmly believe that many doctors will say what ever they feel like regarding fibro, since it's not a life threatening illness. They don't understand it and, in an odd way, because of that, it's an insult to their medical integrity because they can't resolve it. So what does their ego tell them to do? Blame it on the patient.

I really hope you give it to this guy.

16. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

What is that? What are the symptoms?
  17. bikrgrl

bikrgrl New Member

When i got fibro. i was 103 lbs, walking every day for and hour and a half and eating very healthy. It's only now that i don't exercise, due to pain. He has no idea what he's talking about.
  18. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

It's funny, my ex- high school boyfriend is a chiro too.

I saw him out about 8 yrs ago, and metioned to him that a dr. has said the word Fibro to me, and he gave me the whole "wastebasket" schpiel..

I was having significant neck issues, and did end up seeing him for neck trouble, which he helped.

But, I didn't bring up the fibro again, and since then have been diagnosed by a rhuemy and a neuro- I really wanted to go back to see him because I felt I could trust him.. But I haven't for fear that he'll be the same, - lose weight and exercise, eat healthy..get off your meds.. Seems to be the standard protocol for chiros..

Yah, in a perfect world.. that WOULD cure everything..
    It's sad.. All the schooling they go thru - to be so ignorant to such a huge health issue..

I wish you luck in setting you friend straight on the topic.

19. kellyamos

kellyamos New Member

Hi everyone... Well here it is Friday evening and he has not called me like he said he would... Gee, maybe he realized I was RIGHT and he was wrong on his "Cure" for Fibro. Probably afraid to talk to me now.

Ooopps, sorry, I put the wrong town he lives in. He used to have his practice in Paris, IN but now is in Carmel, IN. Still close to Indianapolis though. His name is Stacey Conrad and if you do a google search on his name, you will find a bunch of hits. His practice is called Premier Sports Chiropractic of IN.

I think you all should send him E-mails to let him know that his old girlfriend Kelly, filled you all in of his "cure" for FM.

I am so sorry to hear of all the problems you all have had from Chiropractors. It is bad enough that we have to deal with the life-altering pain of fibro, but then have to deal with additional problems from their treatments. This is not the first that I have heard of Chiro's messing people up. I sent hime the E-mail out of curiousity to see what he would say.

Hey, I was just thinking... When he was in Chirporactor school for 4 years, some 30 years ago, he used me as his guinea pig.. MAYBE, he caused my FM... Do ya think???

If I don't hear from him in the next couple days, I will call him and let you all know if he can back up his "cure" with scientific research.

Take care all,

20. slowingdown

slowingdown New Member

I have gotten a lot of relief from my chiropractic adjustments and spinal decompression treatments over the years. This spring with the allergies so bad I've been going to the chiropractor 2x a week to get sinus relief. It's not a "cureall"; I still use supplements, eat well, and exercise moderately when I can. In fact, my chiropractor is the first one who mentioned the idea that what I was dealing with was FM. He has been very supportive in helping me find ways to deal with it. However, since I've had more flares since Jan. that involve vertigo, numbness, extreme muscle weakness, and cognitive problems, I have an appointment scheduled with a neurologist for next week. My chiropractor is the one who recommended that I do this. Hang in there and try to keep an open mind about chiropractors. They are helping some of us. Sorry you've had such a bad experience.