A "Club" I didn't want to join.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by petemora, Nov 21, 2008.

1. petemora

petemora Member

I am now in the "club".

My LTD company just denied me benefits after paying me for the initial 3 year-period. I guess they think I can work now, work being earning $8.00 an hour for 40 hours a week or $16.00 an hour for 20 hours a week. They even told my doctor that they video-taped me having lunch at a restaurant and grocery shopping.

Now, please keep in mind, the only time I get to eat at a restaurant is sometimes on the way home from the doctor or other essential appointment, my husband treats me to a quick fast food lunch. That's it. Maybe once or twice a year. And, sometimes, I am able to do a little grocery shopping or recreational shopping. Once a week, if I'm lucky, for an hour or so.

I really thought I would be different from the other posters on this site. I thought that I would do all the honest and appropriate things and I would get what I was entitled to receive.
    No such "luck".

My first Social Security application was denied and is on appeal with the appeals council in the State of Virginia. My second application is pending.

I am very frustrated!

I am tapping into my 401K and that will last me another 6 months or so. Then we will get into my husband's 401K. Then I don't know...

Our 401K's have lost almost half, not the best time to sell our house, not too many jobs out there.......

2. daylight

daylight New Member

I'm so sorry that this has happen to you . Soc . Sec. is cracking down due to so many disability claims. I was just told that this the other day. They pretty much want to know that you can't do any job. Basically they want to know if you can bend,stretch,reach,grasp,walk,stand,lift ,pinch,
    how much can you lift,how long can you sit or stand,cognitive
    problems ect.......... you now all this because you had it.
    Well they feel that they have the right to spy on you. It's awful but I do understand in a way.
    It's terrible that the people that need it (like you) they take it away and the Other people that (use the system) get it with no problems.
    I truly hope that everything works out well for you.
    Take care.

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

So sorry to hear this. I had no idea that they can spy on people.

They saw you having lunch but they did not see the exhaustion you have afterwards and how long it lasts.

It might help if this is documented but do not know how it would be documented without self reporting.

A catch 22.

Take care.

ETA Maybe they could see how often you go out of your house after you have the audacity to have a peaceful lunch. I have often not been able to get out of the house after doing something as simple as going to the doctor. Keep the board updated on what happens. Good luck.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/21/2008]
  4. petemora

petemora Member

I would like to add a few things to my post:

1. I have decided to be truly happy despite what is going on! I cannot change a lot of what is happening here. I can only be honest and truthful.

2. I DID contact a Minnesota senator and they put a "congressional inquiry" onto my Social Security file (the first one) so that I at least DO KNOW that my file hasn't been lost and will someday be reviewed.

3. I have hired an attorney to appeal the LTD company's decision to cut my benefits. He will also be assisting me on my new Social Security application. Plus, I let my former supervisor know that this company cut my benefits.

4. I have been feeling better since going on Cymbalta a couple of months ago. The first 6-8 weeks, all I did was sleep, but the pain went way down right away. I am now trying to get off Lyrica and have eliminated my noon dose, for a few days anyway.

5. I really don't care if they video-tape me because I have nothing to hide! In my mind, I am wondering, had they picked the wrong time, they could have waited outside my door for three weeks before I even left the house! What a bore that would have been for some company spy! Some months, I might leave the house twice a month. At other times, I might feel up to going out once a week. I had decided a long time ago, that I would do as much as I could, regardless of how it might affect my case. I have a hard time denying myself pleasure (such as shopping for an hour) when I am up to it because I never know how I am going to be feeling tomorrow, let alone next week.

6. The final thing I keep telling myself: It's not ME they're judging, it's the illness! And that goes for EVERYONE - my friends and relatives, my neighbors, the world at large! If they were judging ME, and my truthfulness, I would not have been denied by Social Security and the LTD company.

7. Another "final" thing: I am extremely fortunate to have a very supportive husband! He has never doubted me from the start and is willing to do everything he can to keep us going.

P.S. Going to check out my library for that book!

Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to respond and give me some great advice!
  5. nitedreamer

nitedreamer New Member

They watch you?
    I am sort of new to all of this, but I thought it was within the limits of ssd to earn so much a month? Does that mean all the people who are out for a few hours a week working are in jeopardy of losing there income?
    I am so confused with the whole disability eligibilities.........I have a case waiting on a court hearing for almost a year now.
    I hope all works out well for you
  6. petemora

petemora Member

Actually, it was my long-term-disability company that video-taped me. I can't wait until my attorney gets a copy of the tape and I can look at it too... My insurance agent told my doctor about the tape but he didn't want to see it, as he knows I can do just about anything for a short while, but I pay for it later, typical of this DD.

Anyway, I know that Social Security checks up on people too....

I don't have a problem with that, I just wish they would video tape me during those weeks when I don't leave the house for three weeks and just lie on the couch for days at a time...That, at least, would be a more objective view of my life...

There must be some "magic" formula on who is approved for Social Security disability and those who aren't. I know I am not able to work at this time and haven't been able to work for three years. BUT, I am able to leave the house, maybe once a week, and that is what I am judged on....Oh, well.....

Thanks for your kind words (and good luck to you!)