A costochondritis or maybe gerd??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Line, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Line

Line New Member

First I have had trouble logging in, a few times I logged in and relpied when I went to post the message I had to log in again and could not. A few days ago was the first day I could reply, but could not log in again for a day or two. So sorry I have not been here.

My ?? is anyone get pain from the very bottom rib that goes up through the center of the breast to the shoulder on the left side. The pain was so bad, my ribs ached so much I did not know how to sit. I was burping up a storm with no relief. I find it hard to believe that gas can go up to the shoulder but have read on a gerd board of others having the same problem. I have gerd, Ibs, fm ad costo.

Anyone experience this type of pain? What do you think gerd or costo, but than again fm. These dd puzzle me.

Hugs, Linda

2. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i have gerd that bad the gas can also fill up in a valve under my heart then it causes the other pain as long as your heart is fine i would think this is what it is charlene
  3. gasolo

gasolo New Member

From your description the most likely diagnosis is costocondritis. The pain usually is located on the sides of the sternum (breast bone) at the junction of bone and cartilage. Usually the pain can be recreated with finger pressure at the inflamed site. Nonsteroidals like motrin are the first line of treatment for those without a history of gerd or gastritis.

I would run this by your doctor to make sure something more important is not being missed.

Gary
  4. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I have costochondritis. So many things seem to crop up on us. Take care :)
  5. nightngale

nightngale New Member

from coughing fits, when I used to smoke and I think once I actually cracked a rib! and then the chostochon stuff, I would cough so hard and something would pop and I could barely move or breath it hurt so bad. I am so glad I quit but unfortunetly I have Copd now and still cough alot in the am and yesterday so much phlem, I think from allergies, was dripping down my throat I practically vomited and later both side of my entire rib cage hurt when I coughed and breathed for a few minutes, and I started freakin out but it went away. I went to the Docs with the real bad ones. Makes me wonder why I din't quit years ago, it was hard though.