A delicate and difficult topic to discuss but want feeling alone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaltair, Apr 25, 2007.

1. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Anyone have problems with uncontrolled bowel movements?

I've had problems with this for years due to IBS. It has gotten to the point where I hesitate to eat lunch if I don't have time for a breakfast because sure enough, I'll have an "accident." It was really bad some 25 years ago when I was a single parent. I know stress has a lot to do with it. It can be really embarrassing when I have to go to meetings and refuse to eat lunch. In past years when it happened frequently I had more energy to deal with it; however, it really takes the energy out of my body when I have the accident; plus, I've had to actually throw clothes away as there was no other way to deal with it.

Recently, it's become a real problem again. Today, after a seminar that I was helping to organize, I had the problem happen on my way back to my office (35 - 40 min drive), and detoured to my home to clean up. I was so fatigued that I ended up staying home.

I've been really trying to eat balanced diet with whole foods and it seems if I eat regularly the problem lessens.

My husband wants me to wear the adult diaper during times when I'm having the problem, but I've been so resistant to that idea.

I'm really not asking for advice on this issue, just wanting to know if others have had the problem. It's a difficult thing to discuss with others.

Warm wishes, jaltair
  2. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

In this last year and a half with this illness I too have come so close. If I had been anywhere but home, forget it.

One day driving home in the early evening this did happen to me for the first time. I thought I could make it home.

I couldn't believe it, but I lost it in the car.

Talk about shaking your confidence.

Just everything has collapsed since I got this illness.
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Thanks for sharing with me. I totally understand what you are saying as I share your feelings ...
  4. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

It hasn't happen to me YET. But I feel for you. My freind with MS uses the adult diapers they work good for her. I do know one thing when I wake up in the middle of the night and I have go go to the bathroom sometimes I hurt so bad and I am so tired I feel like wetting my pants as it takes to much effort to walk to the bathroom.
  5. Engel

Engel New Member

I have had accidents. Luckily I have not been embarassed in public (yet). I too have to be very careful about what I eat and when. Eating out is a very frightening experience. I too find wearing a diaper rather disconcerting.
  6. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Thank you for all your replies and support. I'm glad that it's not "just me" (not that I wish this on anyone at all!) and that you are all sharing thoughts, concerns, etc. with me on this problem. Bobbycat, I think I may buy some to wear when I have to go out like today and will be too far from home to make it to a restroom. I didn't tell you all that the route I took was through the dairy country .. no stores, etc. / and NO bathrooms! I think I'll also take a longer route that has bathrooms when I need to come or go in that direction. How silly I was not to think of it!

I’m going to get to bed now and hopefully will feel much better in the AM to face work. Thank you all again!

Love, Jeannette
  7. netnut

netnut New Member

I have had accidents too.

This winter I went through a period of time where I lost almost all control of my bladder function and it was so embarrassing. It was due to a really awful case of severe bronchitis that wouldnt give up. I ended up in adult diapers for almost two months. Even my kids knew I was wearing them!

I was so afraid I was leaking places. I was afraid to sit down on peoples furniture. Coughing, sneezing, laughing...ugh.

I have also had the IBS fits. When the above was going on sometimes that kicked in too.

I dont know...maybe we just arent wired right. I do know it was incredibly embarrassing to get the phone call from my grown son telling me I had left the bag of my Depends behind and what should he do with them!
  8. HurtsToMove

HurtsToMove New Member

Just wanted to let you know that's it is not uncommon at all to have this problem. My hubby, perfectly healthy and in his late 30's, has had this happen a few times.

Normals never talk about it because of embarassment, but it definitely does go on.

We just chalk it up to his psyllium intake and move on. And yes, he's ruined a few pair of pants!
  9. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I have ulcerative colitis so I know how you feel. I do think that some of the meds we take makes things worse at times. Its funny cuz I was eating very healthy when I got sick with UC and my doc told me not to eat so many raw and fresh foods that it irratates things. I don't know how it is with IBS but I know with UC the healthier I eat the worse it is. Silly huh? Anyway, good luck and maybe talk to your doc about a med that will help with the problem....Big Hugs, mick!
  10. megagrace2

megagrace2 New Member

Hi Jaltair

I have not posted for quite a while, but I have to reply to this one!! I have left more underwear in the sanitary pad dispensers in public restaurants! one time I was having lunch in a restaurant with a friend when I feld the urge coming on. I ran to the restroom, butdidn't make it. What a mess!

Thank God I had grabbed my purse with my cell phone in it. So I am in the toilet stall, calling from my cell phone to my friend at the table. She answered and I said "JoAnn! Get up, pay the bill, and come directly to the bathroom, do not pass go--to not collect $200.00. Come now!" She came and we got me to the car and drove me home with the windows wide open in the winter, if you catch my drift. ARGHHHHHH! Thank God for good and understanding friends

My husband and I are planning on a trip this week, and I am dreading it. Same thing, I am so afraid to eat. When we eat out, I sit there for a while to see if I have to go or not. Many times we get in the car, and WHOOPS!, I have to go, so we speed to the closest facility and pray.

I have changed my diet drastically, because my sugar is up and I am pre-diabetic. It hasn't changed anything, but made it worse along with severe gas on top of it.

I am married to a saint who puts up with this with me all the time.

When we go on long trips, I will take immodium, but then I suffer after a few days with painful movements.

I know this is a really gross post, but hey, it's a gross problem.

I am really surprised but saddened to hear so many people suffer with this. I really felt I was alone in this.

God Bless,
    Meg
  11. blizzybear

blizzybear New Member

CHECK OUT THE BOOK "BREAKING THE VISCIOUS CYCLE" VERY EDUCATIONAL, IT ALSO GIVES A STRICT DIET, IT WORKED FOR ME. SOMEONE ON THIS SITE RECOMMENDED IT ONCE, FROM MY RESEARCH, I FOUND THAT THEY SAY PEOPLE WITH IBS/GI ISSUES BUILD UP CARBOHYDRATES THAT THEN BECOME BACTERIA IN OUR INTESTINES. OUR BODY DOES NOT FLUSH THE CARBS THROUGH EFFICIENTLY, THE GOAL OF THE DIET IS TO REDUCE WHAT FEEDS THE BACTERIA BUILD UP , GET YOUR TRACK BACK TO NORMAL FUNCTION. I ALSO DO A 2 TABLESPPON ALOE VERA JUICE, 1 TABLESPOON BENTONITE, AND 1 TEASPOON PHYSILLIUM HUSK POWDER MIX IN A CONCENTRATE CHERRY JUICE 2 TIMES A DAY, IT IS A NATURAL COST EFFICIENT DETOX/CLEANSER FOR THE GI. THE PRODUCTS ARE CHEAP ONLINE, IT TOOK ABOUT 2 MONTHS OF MY COCKTAIL AND DOING THE DIET BEFORE I REALLY HAD RESULTS, IT HAS BEEN ABLESSING SINCE.TRY THE BOOK, BLIZZY
  12. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I suffered for years and it got to the point where I had to take a change of clothes with me everywhere plus a waterproof bag to put any soiled clothes in (I have also used a sanitary napkin dispenser!).

I would get about a 15 second warning - that was it. Just a pinched feeling in my abdomen and then I knew I was in trouble. I did Kegel exercises to try to strengthen the pelvic floor and sphincters, but that didn't matter because of the force behind it.

I think there are probably different causes for the problem. In my case my smooth muscles were overcontracting because of an excess of a certain prostaglandin. When I started taking an amino acid called L-Histidine to help with mercury toxicity, a very unexpected "side effect" was that the IBS went away. The more histidine I took, the fewer episodes in a day and I could push it all the way to being constipated for the first time in my life.

I finally found a balance where I have two bowel movements a day, not pinching and urgent, and I don't have to worry any more about going out in public. I posted my story on the IBS stories website and several people have told me that it helped them, too.

I buy my histidine from Jo-Mar Labs in California in the powder form which allows me to regulate it more freely. I hardly ever take more than 250 mg a day. Sometimes I increase the dose a little if I know I'm going to eat something I'm somewhat allergic to or if it's allergy season. A bottle of powder lasts me well over a year.

Jan
  13. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I used to be just as bad as you if not worse. I'd down a whole bottle of the "pink stuff" at one time. I remember mant times crying and my stomach cramping and cramping and not being able to make it home. It is horrible and embarrassing, epecially if you have others in the car with you.
    I don't have too many episodes of it anymore since I have been on heavy doses of pain killers. I guess the same dose would constipate a normal person really bad, but it levels me out pretty good. And I am very thankful for that.

I used to eat imodium by the handfuls, not anymore, Thank God!

Cheer up! We are here for you!

Take care and be well!

Kellyann
  14. pat460

pat460 New Member

I won't give any advice but, I did want to tell you that I too have had accidents from both urine and stool(or pee pee and poo as my kids would say). It really upset me and yes there was some tears. I've since learned to laugh about it. I didn't have much choice as my kids made a big joke out of it. They give me wisecracks like did you pack an extra pair of drawers mom or lets buy some diapers like we did for the dog mom, but without the tail hole, or if I correct them for passing gas in the car they'll remind me of THAT time we had to ride home with you mom. So, I've learned to laugh instead of cry about those times but thank goodness they are gone for now and hopefully for good!

Here's to better days ahead for all of us, Pat
  15. jaltair

jaltair New Member

netnut, HurtsToMove, goldyfm, fieldmouse, megagrace2, blizzybear, rockyjs, & kellyann ...

First, thank you all for the responses! I feel much less alone at this point because of what you've all posted and the suggestions.

Meg, our stories are too much alike! Wow ... I too have a wonderful and patient husband who has been kind enough to come and pick me up (rescue me) many times in these horrible situations. This has plagued me for so many years now that he likes me to wear brown pants and jokes about it with me. That does help; we even have our own song entitled, "Peristalsis!" You should post more; you have a wonderful way of expressing yourself.

netnut, I know what it's like to look for places to sit where it won't hurt any fabric etc.

HurtsToMove, whenever I try bowel cleansing products, especially those with psyllium, I end up really having problems with my IBS (feel for your husband), and like Meg, when I take Imodium I really have painful stomach cramps.

goldyfm, I wish Imodium would work for me - one thing I've found that's helpful during the horrible acute episodes is Metamucil. Seems to add more bulk but doesn't really stop the movement of the bowels (peristalsis - didn't define that above) from the IBS; just makes it easier to get to a restroom and not "leak."

fieldmouse, when I had my last colonoscopy, they thought it was ulcerative colitis but the biopsies all came back negative. I have a friend with ulcerative colitis and that one's really bad as far as diet. Many of the things that you have to avoid are things that also seem to really bring on my episodes. Weird, the thing that calms my situation the most are yeast breads. I wonder what that's about.

blizzybear, I'll look for the book. Like I had stated though, whenever I try a good detox or cleaning especially with the physllium, I end up with worse cramping and problems. Will check it out.

rockyjs, I think you're right. IBS is caused by different problems I'm sure. One thing that I've found I have are antibodies to my parietal cells (the gastric cells in the stomach), so I think that perhaps my digestion is probably affected because of inefficient breakdown of stomach contents, and when it hits the colon, wham! How did you find out your had an excess of the prostaglandin? That's interesting ...

kellyann, the pain killers probably are helping your episodes for sure. Hope you haven't had problems with constipation as I know that's part of the IBS syndrome.

pat460 - I think laughing is important! Thanks for sharing with me; there are better days ahead!

Again, to everyone, thank you for sharing your stories and well wishes from your hearts! All were very supportive and uplifting for me. I'm feeling much better and have the whole weekend to get energy back before Monday begins another week....

Love, Jeannette
  16. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

I can so relate. I had this same problem for about a year over 10 years ago. I was very stressed out at the time. It was an awful thing. I was tested and was told I had IBS. It seemed to settle down when I went on narcotic pain meds. Im constipate alot but better that that what was happening before. I used to suffer chronic heartburn too and that also settled down when I started the pain meds. My system seemed settled now with the meds. Stress is a huge factor. I had to end my marriage to a man I really loved but he couldnt stay clean from drugs. We tried everything and he just kept relapsing. Its been a few years now that Im on my own and I have improved greatly since the reduction of stress in my life. I dont know if there is any way to eliminate as much stress as you can but its worth a try. Also the pain meds are helpful.
    good luck
    poodlemum