A Dr's theory: Double jointed?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnnG, Jul 30, 2003.

1. AnnG

AnnG New Member

My Dr. has a friend (another Dr.) who is completely convinced that all FM sufferers are double jointed (or were as children). My Dr. is not convinced but, he said his friend sure is! So, how about it? The answer for me is a very big "YES"! I was teased for being so double-jointed. And, I was shocked to be told that my painful, crooked fingers are not arthritis but a result of tendons being too tight on one side and too loose on the other (from overextending them).

Let me know what you think and I'll pass it on to Doc!

Thanks, Ann
  2. Aeryn

Aeryn New Member

I have loose joints. My joints pop out really easily and I have to be careful not to stretch too much doing Yoga.
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Hypermobility of the joints has long been considered a predisposing factor for Fibro. You do not have to be double-jointed, you just need joints that move farther than normals so.
    I did not know I was hypermobile until I was sent to Physical Therapy for my Fibro. I always wondered why my knees hurt when I stood for a long time. Now I know it's because my knee joints go too far out in back when I stand straight,so I must remember to bend my knees a bit when standing.
    This is just one of many predisposing factors though, and not all of us have it.
    BTW, my best friend is totally double-jointed and used to turn her elbows inside out to gross us all out! She does not have Fibro however.
    Klutzo