a drug 'factoid'

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Aug 4, 2005.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

I found out today that Darvocet requires a triplicate prescription. this is new, a recent regulation from the FDA, I guess. Interesting, isn't it?

Beth.
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

Why????????????????

Darvocet is at the bottom of the totem pole for narcotics!!

It's not much stronger than a Tylenol!

Certainly can't understand this one!!!!

jlh
  3. hubby

hubby New Member

They basically said that nything that had any schedule drug, in it, had to be triplicate prescirption, this was in CA. I was amazed as I have to have triplicate for lomotil, which is for idarreha(sp) due to my dumping syndrome.

It is really hilarious as most people one or two would bung them up for a very long time, and for anyone to get any kind of high from the opium well I think they would have a blockage, and would require surgery and then they could get the hard stuff.

I am waiting for them to give us an aspirin after surgeryies. The Dr then told me that anything that has any schedule drug in it, period is now required triplicate, really makes yoy feel like a narc.

This is what comes of our Nancy Reagan adminstration of just say no. I just could scream and have finally ordered some on internet, but hope it gets here, have got some things once, and then did not get delivery another time. I hope it comes through this time, more expensive, but not really when you consider gas, Dr. visit, and medication. All I know is the DEA had done a pretty good way of policing theze sites as there are few available, and now it a slight of the hand that gets it through.

I was going to order zanflex, or zyprem, whichever people on the board have talked about for sleep as that is the worse for me.

You are completely right that if we don't get a good nights sleep we are just dragging through life. I have told my Dr continuously that mine is not working anymore and I had to sweat blood to get an extra 15 pills. This is Klonipin and I have had ativan and xanax and they act the oposite on me.

Everyone talks about how great klonipin is, so nowo have ordered so I don't have to fight for a month to month prescription, as I get so upset and then throws my whole balance off, which we all know we should not do. My husband hates it, and tried to calm me, as he will say you know if you keep crying you are going to be sick. He is the only one that knows me, what I need, and don't need, and I thank God for him everyday, well almost lol

4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Darvocet is supposed to be "old" technology in pain relief, far less effective than others...

Many doctors no longer prescribe it.

I've also read it is one of the most overdosed-on drugs as seen at US emergency rooms, this might be why the triplicate scrip.....but the reason is, it is so ineffective at managing pain that people end up taking 2, 3 or 4 times the prescribed amount in order to find some relief!

I don't take any daily pain meds for FM, but for post-surgery pain management, for example, I'd never accept Darvocet as pain reliever, I'd ask for Vicodin or something that would actually provide short-term relief.

Just my opinion...

Pam
  5. achy

achy New Member

They are costing the Docs and us a fortune and a lot of wasted time.

I used to get a 90 day prescription for Dilaudid from my internest cause I get meds thru the mail on hubbys insurance. A 90 day supply - 270 pills and dirt cheap.

Now I have to go to my Pain Mgt. doc every 30 days to get a 30 day supply. So instead of the doc, pharmasist and I only delaing with it every 3 months they have tripled the amount of time each of us have to spend on one piece of paper. AND tripled the cost.

And there's more coming...stay tuned.
    achy
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Beth:
    I never heard of that, but take your word for it.
    I just found out that my doctor can not 'calll in' Percocet. I need a written prescription.

Anything to make life a little harder...

NyroFan
  7. BethM

BethM New Member

I was quite surprised at this new reg too.

Darvocet is very effective for me, usually only need half of one and an extra strength 'tylenol' to deal with the pain. Then again, I am very sensitive to almost all pain meds and sedatives.

On the other hand, Vicodin doesn't do a thing for me! Each to our own...

I do think it is ludicrous that this mild pain med now needs a triplicate script. Interesting where our taxpayer dollars go.

peace, beth.
  8. eggshel344

eggshel344 New Member

but what exactly do you mean by a "triple perscription?"

I just had darvocet filled and it didn't seem any different than any other scrip...

Thanks-
    Samantha
  9. BethM

BethM New Member

A triplicate prescription is written on a special prescription form that has 3 parts. It is for medications that the government keeps track of, like narcotics. Ritalin also requires a triplicate script.

You probably wouldn't notice, except that the doc can't write any refills, and refills can't be called into the pharmacy. You have to go get a new prescription.

Mainly, it's a nuisance. The laws can vary state to state.

Hope that helps. And it wasn't a silly question at all!

Peace,
    Beth.
  10. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

Darvocet doesn't even work for me,,,,,,I tried it before and took 1, didn't work, waited a while, took another one and it still didn't work. So what's the use of taking something that doesn't work?! "We haven't got time for the pain" - I threw them down the toilet.

I also ALWAYS get a re-bound headache or worse migraine after I tried them.
    To me it is a pretty mild pain medication - I can't imagine it being a triplicat!
    The DEA, FDA who ever they are are now requiring doctors to use new prescription pads......maybe that was it - a different presc. pad that you weren't used to?
    Keep us poseted on what you find out - thanks and I hope you have a good day!
  11. Suzan

Suzan New Member

For the first time in almost 3 years...when I picked up my vicoden prescription..the bottle said 3 refills! Never has the doctor allowed me refills before..I had to call in everytime. It also says 3 refills before january 2006!But, a chiro friend of mine told me that when they put a refill on a drug like that, that it has to carry an expiration date. It doesn't mean that is all I will get in that time frame. I just thought it was so interesting....the thing I would like is if they would let me know when they change something..and WHY they are doing it!!!
  12. BethM

BethM New Member

nope, the doctor told me specifically that Darvocet now requires the triplicate form.

I know other people for whom Darvocet doesn't help. It works well for me, but on the other hand, Vicodin doesn't do a thing for me, not even make me sleepy. Even with all our commonalities, we are all still unique.

I am grateful to have my Darvocet, believe me!

Beth.
  13. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...wouldn't want to do that, LOL!

But there's an article in this month's AARP magazine that talks about pain management & docs who under-prescribe, and those that "get" it, and the difficulty these days to get adequate pain treatment.

Be it Vicodin, Darvocet, or whatever...

Anyway, just mentioning this for those of us receiving the AARP magazine every month, instead of "Seventeen"...

Pam