A few supplement questions (MSM, NADH, & flax seed oil)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suze, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Suze

Suze New Member

1. Could MSM make me feel worse? This is my second try with it, and it went just like the first: After about three days, I realized the past three days were <b>terrible</b> pain-wise, and I stopped taking it. Am I not giving it enough time?

2. How do you know if you're one of those who can't tolerate flax seed oil? What happens?

3. Jackie, what made you realize you could (or should) cut down on your NADH dose?

Thanks!

Suze

[This Message was Edited on 08/21/2002]
  2. Suze

Suze New Member

1. Could MSM make me feel worse? This is my second try with it, and it went just like the first: After about three days, I realized the past three days were <b>terrible</b> pain-wise, and I stopped taking it. Am I not giving it enough time?

2. How do you know if you're one of those who can't tolerate flax seed oil? What happens?

3. Jackie, what made you realize you could (or should) cut down on your NADH dose?

Thanks!

Suze

[This Message was Edited on 08/21/2002]
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I'm afraid I can't answer question #3 as I never took NADH.....Jackie will no doubt come along to do so.
    1. On MSM making you worse: Not that I know of. Considering what it is, it should not even be possible for it to make you ill. But, we are so very sensitive, and all different. I find no help from MSM for my muscles, but it helps my allergies a lot.
    2. ON intolerance to flax seed oil: This one I am unfortunately very well acquainted with. I tried twice to take flax seed oil. The dose was supposed to be 1 teaspoon. I took 1/2 tsp. just to be safe, but within a couple of hours I had cramps, chills and diarreha that went on and on until I was emptied out and for the rest of that day. I waited 2 weeks and tried again, this time taking only 1/8 of a teaspoon, but the same horror show unfolded again. I know one other person who had the exact same thing happen when she tried to take it. The guy at the health food store said I probably don't digest fats well, but I have had a fat malabsorption test, and several gallbladder tests and I have no trouble with other fats. I also take digestive enzymes.
    Klutzo
  4. Jackie F

Jackie F New Member

My mind is not quite here today--by distraction of a stressor thrust upon me. Not pertent-but fact.

With regards to the NADH: I found that I was being over energized, my mind over stimulated. Signaling to me; that my body must have started to produce it again, somewhat, as a result of the supplementation. It isn't what I would cal back to normal or I wouldn't still need it and I do need it still--just not every day.

Normally I would seek the MSM issue for you and myself as well. And I probably will but I can't answer intellegently today. But I will get back to you on it. My gut instint says; it has something to do with an action to remove some crud (sorry for term) from our bodies. But it also just might be a weird coincidence, since it generally takes most supplements longer to have any action. Again--this is just a gut--not knowledge ased answer on MSM.

Oils in general bother my IBS and more. I eat flax seed--not great teasting but healthy. I toss it in stews, soups etc.

Jackie F
  5. Rene_M

Rene_M New Member

Wow, I'm sorry to hear you've had a reaction like that to it.

I've taken it OK however tests showed it was stressing my body so I've switched to some alternatives...
    Cold water fish oil - salmon oil (not taken from their livers)
    Borage seed oil
    Evening Primrose oil
    Hemp seed (oil)
    in between these I'll use a couple of walnuts & 6 raw almonds
    I rotate as much as I can every month or so.

[ advertisement ]