A fibromyalgia meeting

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ohmyaching, Sep 17, 2002.

1. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

Just got back from talk on fibromyalgia given for the community by local chiropractics. That they should even have a talk is amazing since most health care staff around here don't want to even consider the existence of these diseases. At the meeting they said that fibromyalgia was due to stress. Whoo boy, mention stress and I'm usually gone. Stress isn't specific to fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome. To me stress is a one size fits all explanation for disease that has been waaaay overused. I must admit it was interesting to see how stress that comes from our bodies trying to deal with the onslaught of abuse we heap upon it as well as environmental toxins can both wear down our immune system and make us less able to ward off disease. You could see how one imbalance in your health would lead to another and the progression of disease would get worse as problems kept arising without any wellness being restored eventually undermining your whole health. I don't think they believe in fibromyalgia as a disease but as a breakdown of one's health due to stress..... I'll have to think about that one.
    For those of you interested in statistics they said that six million people have fibromyalgia and four million of those are women. These stats were from a book by James Cox- I think it's called Lower Back Pain they flashed it on and off the screen so I don't know if I got that quite right.
    Interesting too is that they recommended magnesium and malic acid to detoxify aluminum in the body..... That's the first I had heard of that.
    Peace, joy and love
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2002]
  2. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

Just got back from talk on fibromyalgia given for the community by local chiropractics. That they should even have a talk is amazing since most health care staff around here don't want to even consider the existence of these diseases. At the meeting they said that fibromyalgia was due to stress. Whoo boy, mention stress and I'm usually gone. Stress isn't specific to fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome. To me stress is a one size fits all explanation for disease that has been waaaay overused. I must admit it was interesting to see how stress that comes from our bodies trying to deal with the onslaught of abuse we heap upon it as well as environmental toxins can both wear down our immune system and make us less able to ward off disease. You could see how one imbalance in your health would lead to another and the progression of disease would get worse as problems kept arising without any wellness being restored eventually undermining your whole health. I don't think they believe in fibromyalgia as a disease but as a breakdown of one's health due to stress..... I'll have to think about that one.
    For those of you interested in statistics they said that six million people have fibromyalgia and four million of those are women. These stats were from a book by James Cox- I think it's called Lower Back Pain they flashed it on and off the screen so I don't know if I got that quite right.
    Interesting too is that they recommended magnesium and malic acid to detoxify aluminum in the body..... That's the first I had heard of that.
    Peace, joy and love
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2002]
  3. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

topic you can get 99 at a time and if they do another meeting hand them out. I put info printouts every where I go all docs drug stores any where and Now that the new ones are out and they are great. I am going to keep ordering(free). I had a lady at my sons pre school jump back when she heard i had FMS and CFS. I gave her one of the old ones but these are much better. I am putting one in each kids box tomorrow so the P's will get them at the end of school. I am also giving some to my Chiros tomorrow and will need more to give to PTs. That kind of talk about stress can make your stress level rise. The public needs to be educated and I in my area plan on doing all I can. I din't develope FMS or CFS due to stress I was a kid and a very happy one at that. I did have a few falls and broken bones due to the falls, I was a Tom boy. It's great they had a meeting but, harmful that they miss lead the community. Yep all they need is a good shrink, yep that will cure them of there FMS and or CFS. Stress will make you worse.

You take care, Kim and Gary
  4. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I think chiro care helps with relieving symptoms.I have learned though, that it is not a cure.

Good posture, aligned skeloton helps alot. Some of the exercises also that my chiro has me do, helps also.

I became leary lately of my chiro, when he started pushing nutritionals, that were way too costly for me to afford.

I dont believe that stress is the cause of Fibro, stress does cause flares.

I hope to see others like yourselves, continue to eduactate the public about it.

5. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

hydro theropy. Love it to. Yes, education is the key and knowledge is the power (well thats what we believe). I just requested more Paients Guide to FMS/ CFS. I hope they don't cut me off. I plan on getting more.

Take care, Kim and Gary