A FLARE: what happens to you when you flare?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by valleyann, Sep 26, 2006.

1. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Hello,

I am still fairly new to the whole Fibro world as I was only recently diagnosed this spring.

And I would like to know what happens to others who have Fibro when they go through flares?

What are your syptoms? How long does it last? And how often do you have flares?

Thanks.
    Val
    [This Message was Edited on 09/26/2006]
  2. swiss

swiss New Member

I feel like I have thr flu- yuck!!!

Michele
  3. valleyann

valleyann New Member

I have been sick with what I thought was the flu since Saturday...first it started as body aches, my skin felt like it was dipped in acid. It hurt so badly. That continued for 3 days... then I developed a slight cough and a fever.

I'm still trying to get over it...not feeling my best. But I'm not sure if this really is a flu or if it is a flare? What do you think?

Val
  4. suz45

suz45 New Member

I recently came back tp the message board after a long period of having a flare. Welcome, you are not alone. Everyone has different symptoms, With my FMS i am usually fatigued and ache all over, however some people feel like they have the flu too. My flares can last from as little as 2days to weeks. The key for me is trying to pay attention to the body, not fight it and pace myself, reduce my stress, see my chiropractor if its a myofascial pain flare which is different from FMS. Keep reading I think you will find many answers here. I know I did back in 2000 when I was new to this disorder. Rest, BREATHE (as my daughter would say) try to improve sleep and eating, avoid caffeine, and certain food additives. I practice yoga for 25 minutes a day. Do what your body can tolerate, don't fight the resistance if your body is saying no. Listen to it.

Take care,

Suz45
    [This Message was Edited on 09/26/2006]
  5. valleyann

valleyann New Member

I have been on this site for about 5 months or so. And there are a lot of wonderful people on this site. It's so nice to be able to talk to people who are experiencing similar problems.

What is a myfacial flare like?

Thanks for the wonderful advice!

Val
  6. suz45

suz45 New Member

Hi Val:

Myofascial pain is different in that you don't just have "tender" points but actually bands or knots that can occur virtually anywhere and than the pain is "referred" to another area of the body. In my case I have several in my lower back which can radiate pain to the front of my hip or down my thigh. It is extremely painful, to the point I cannot find a comfortable position. Usually at that point I will call the chiro who does trigger point therapy to brak up the knots hence reducing the pain and hopefully break the flare. I try to keep somewaht active as sitting or lying down just ,
    makes it worse. There are other medical treatments, however I only use muscle relaxants as a last resort. Hope this was helpful. If you want more info go to the top of the page and look iunder articles/ conditions type in Myofascial I'm sure you will find info.

Take Care

Suz45
  7. alexandralynch

alexandralynch New Member

It's like having the flu after having catered a meal for 200. I'm dead exhausted when I wake up, vaguely nauseated, dizzy, and will have a random assortment of muscle spasms, weaknesses, joint looseness or tightness, inflammations, and parasthesias. Basically all I can do is sit up in my big chair and, sometimes, watch TV. I can't focus on print well enough to read on those days and my computer chair does require me to sit up on my own, not slump into it. I always feel rather annoyed, because I'm an active person and always have things I want to be doing other than sitting there and watching TV.
  8. CarolK

CarolK New Member

The best definition for a flare for me would be....

Every pain and all fatigue AMPLIFIED!!!

Sore joints... amplified
    Aching muscles... amplified
    headaches.... amplified
    neck and shoulder pain...amplified
    fatigue and tiredness.... amplified
    dificulty sleeping... amplified
    raw emotions....amplified
    brain fog...amplified
    hips, knees and ankle pain...amplified
    skin sensitivity, light sensitivity... amplified
    and on and on!

And the length and duration of the amplification can be from days to months!!

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET!!

So when that happens...

AMPLIFY YOUR HUMOR, AMPLIFIY YOUR PATIENCE FOR FRIENDS AND FAMILY WHO DO NOT UNDERSTAND YOU, AND AMPLIFY THE GRACE YOU EXTEND FOR YOUSELF, AMPLIFY YOUR REST, AMPLIFY YOUR VITAMINES... IN OTHERWORDS CUT YOURSELF SOME SLACK AND DON'T BE SO HARD ON YOURSELF. LIGHTEN UP AND JUST DON'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY!

THE FLARE WILL EVENTUALLY PASS... SO DON'T LET LIFE PASS YOU BY WHEN A FLARE COMES ALONG. AMPLIFY YOUR LOVE OF SELF, OTHERS AND LIFE!

BLESSINGS TO YOU.... CAROLK
  9. CarolK

CarolK New Member

THANK YOU JILLSTARR FOR THE COMPLIMENT! I DO APPRECIATE IT!!

Like just about everyone on this board, I also struggle with "flares". It's taken me a long time to learn to deal with these large "speed bumps in life".... and through it all I know that I must rely upon the Lord's grace to get me through. And if He extends grace to me to make it through... well then I must extend that same grace to those I live with!

I guess what I am saying is that making it through a flare is all a matter of the attitude you choose to take. Heck, attitude is all important with every circumstance you face in life. IT'S WHAT YOU CHOOSE THAT MAKES THE DIFFERENCE.

Blessings to you Jillstarr.....CarolK
  10. valleyann

valleyann New Member

Thank you very much! You have definitly helped me to define a flare, in general.

Val
    [This Message was Edited on 09/29/2006]