A friends death.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Mar 24, 2011.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Two days ago, a friend of mine died of colon cancer. Unfortunately, she put off having a colonoscopy and by the time they found the cancer, it had spread. This did not have to happen.

From the American Cancer Society.

Myth: It’s better not to get tested for colorectal cancer because it’s deadly anyway.

Truth: Colorectal cancer is often highly treatable. If it is found and treated early (while it is small and before it has spread), the 5-year survival rate is about 90%. But because many people are not getting tested, only about 4 out of 10 are diagnosed at this early stage when treatment is most likely to be successful.

The rest of this article can be found at:

If you are over 50 you need a colonoscopy every 10 years. While not the most fun experience, it's not that bad and the peace of mind is worth it.

One of her requests was for people to relay this message as it could save a life.

In memory of Debbie P. 1954-2011.

2. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Sorry to hear about your friend. I know I need to have this test done---first I need to get my mammogram done and then I will save my money for that test.

3. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, gapsych.

I'm sorry about your friend's passing, too.

I had colorectal cancer myself, about 12 years ago. I had had a sigmoidoscopy five years before, and nothing was found then, but five years later, I had a tumor the size of a lemon. Fortunately surgery, chemo, radiation, nutrition and a lot of prayer pulled me out of it.

I agree with her and you in urging people to get tested, and a colonoscopy is my preference, having had several of each. The colonoscopies were done with anesthesia, while the sigmoidoscopies were not, and the colonoscopies win hands down in the pain category, in my opinion. And of course, they are able to look at the whole colon, not just the distal part of it. And also, of course, the colonoscopies cost more and the insurance companies of course tend to resist higher costs.

Best regards,

4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks to all.

Rich, glad things worked out for you. You are a testament to why this test is so important. You went through a lot.

My SIL had breast cancer. Later she had rectacancer. She has been cancer free for over 10 years.

Susan, My friend was also 57.

Broadcasting, so sorry about your friend.

Again, thanks to all.

Pass on the message.

ETA GoatWoman, so so sorry about your father. Did he have a preexisting condition as usually you only need the colonoscopy every ten years unless they find something.

[This Message was Edited on 03/25/2011]
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Gap - I am very sorry to hear about your friend, Debbie.

My dad also had colon cancer, back in 2003. However, unlike your friend, his was caught early and surgery was all that he required as far as treatment.

Hopefully people are getting the message about getting colonoscopies. I've had one done and the prep was the worst part and even that wasn't that bad.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your friend's loved ones.
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Georgia - I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. My dad just died in December due to a brain tumour.

Take care.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

A death is bad enough but one which needn't have occured is even worse. I posted not long ago about the need to get colonoscopies done when recommended. My biological father died of colon cancer, and he was a doctor. I've been getting the test since my 40's. A few years back, several pre-cancerous polyps were removed. Had I not been getting colonoscopies, I'd probably either have colon cancer now or be dead. PLEASE, EVERYONE, DON'T TAKE CHANCES; GET THE TESTS.

BTW, I got a good tip from the gasterologist's NP for getting 25 grams of fibre a day. Kellogg's All Bran Buds (not just All Bran but All Bran BUDS) have 13 grams in 1/3 cup of the cereal. It can be mixed with other cereal of yogurt. Two servings a day would give one 26 grams a day. Or, one serving plus other fibre in one's diet. The fibre keeps the colon healthy and prevents diverticula. Also, probiotics are a must for good colon health.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. Bless you for using your loss to help prevent it in others.

Love, Mikie
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

LOTS of good tips. Sounds as though you're doing everything right. BTW, it has to be the All Bran Buds. Plain ole All Bran doesn't have as much fibre.

PBS had a nurse/nutritionist who emphasized the importance of probiotics. Most of us who take them haven't been taking enough or enough different kinds of the strains. You are doing great!

I wish I had known all this years ago. I've been doing pretty well but if I had started at a younger age, I might not have the diverticulosis. My Mom had it and it does run in families so I might have gotten it anyway. Still, what I'm doing will help keep the diverticula from clogging up. AACK!!!

Love, Mikie

9. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I am very sorry to hear about your friend, and very grateful for her generosity of spirit in wanting to help other people. I'm one of those who has put off having a colonoscopy, but I have an annual exam coming up in a few weeks and will tell the doctor it's time.

Take care -

10. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I am so very sorry to hear about your friend. It always makes you realize just how precious and short life really is.

Thank you for the reminder...

Take care of yourself!