A "FUN" way to assess my cognitive functioning

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nink, Nov 16, 2008.

1. nink

nink New Member

You all know how it is - some days our brains work better than others. I have found that playing a simple game on my PC (Zuma) that relies mostly on reaction time and some degree of strategy, I can tell how badly my brain is working at that time. I only play at the most simple two levels these days, and when my time for a certain part of the game is way over the average or way over my own best time, I know it's not a good day for me to be driving or making any major decisions!
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have found the very same thing. I have always loved word games such as scrabble, crossword puzzles, cryptoquotes, etc. etc. I play most of these games on my computer.

I am going to start charting my scores though I know that I will find the same thing as you have. I have decided to start charting how I am feeling, with other things such as weather, sleep, etc. but I have been promising myself to do this for a long time!!

Hope this makes sense, as I am foggy today. I could not even beat the computer at Scrabble on one of the lower levels. When I can not play the game because of the overstimulation of it, I know it is going to be one of those bad days. LOL!!

Also, if you do not already know, there are lots of fun games over on the chit chat board. Some I had never played before.

Have fun.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/16/2008]
  3. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I like to play Chess against the computer on my handheld. I can tell right away when I play if my brain is working or not. Most days it's not.
  4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

how interesting to find this post!

i discovered online scrabble (my fav game!) at lexulous.com a few months ago. i play with people all over the world and find that my score tells me a lot about my cognitive improvement or decline.

its addictive!

5. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

is the website jigzone. all different types of puzzles--all different levels and challenges. Fun!!

6. nink

nink New Member

I've played jigzone, too, Laura, and have had fun with it. But I haven't played it for a long time - thanks for reminding me. I'm going to go there now!
  7. badge53nj

badge53nj New Member

I do not post often enough, but I had to comment on the above post.
    I recently found bingo at Pogo.com and I am unable to comprehend numbers. I am looking right at the number, but cannot recognize the number.

I had the same problem with hearing letters and putting them together; I just didn't understand what I was hearing.

When I tell family and friends they just look at me or are silent. They do not understand how you can look at a number and do not know what you are looking at. Well it is bad and I know what everyone on this post is talking about.

I do not post often because I do not feel that I have much to offer, but I can say that this board has given me too much and I thank all who will read this.

best, E
  8. badge53nj

badge53nj New Member

Often I am afraid to ask a question or ask for clarification. I usually get a reply such as "that is just what I told you or I just said that."

Yes it is very difficult; I remember loosing my balance and walking into walls or doorways. Well mention that to family or friends and they think your are crazy or lying.

Once I got up from a chair and walked right into the door frame and the look on my families face said to me; yes there must be something to what she is saying.

Yes, being ill is difficult the unknown is scary. Thank you for listening. Best, E