A gluten free recipe

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by alaska3355, Mar 7, 2007.

1. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

We aren't needing to be gluten free, but I know several of you are-

Gluten free Corn Bread
    1 c. brown rice flour
    1/2 c. cornmeal
    1/3 c. tapioca flour
    1/3 c. potato flour
    3 t. guar gum
    3 t. baking powder
    1/2 t. salt
    2 T. oil
    2 extra large eggs or 1/2 c. egg substitute
    1/4 c. honey
    5/8 c. water or milk
    Mix dry ingredients and add in wet ones. Bake in 8" round greased pan for 20 min. at 375 or 400 degrees (I'm not sure, as this recipe is for a bread machine).
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

I have been gluten free for 1 1/2 yrs and am always looking for good recipes. I inherited a bread maker from my aunt but haven't tried it yet. Maybe I will try this one. It looks good!

Thank you.
    Love, Pepper
  3. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

It is interesting to cook in my home. My family is allergic to one or more of the following things: Wheat, corn, dairy products, corn syrup....

Some times i feel like a restaurant trying to accommodate everyone and their food allergies.
  4. jaltair

jaltair New Member

All-Forgiving Banana Bread
    Adapted from “Eating Your Way Back to Health: A Guide to Anti-Inflammatory Cooking”, by Jessica K. Black, N.D.

Ingredients:
    ¼ c. softened organic butter or vegan margarine (non-hydrogenated)
    (I substitute ¼ c. applesauce for the butter and it works great)
    1/8 c. organic coconut oil, warmed to liquid consistency
    ½ c. honey (I use slightly less)
    4 medium bananas, mashed to puree
    2 organic eggs
    1 tsp. baking soda
    ¼ tsp. sea salt
    1 – 1.5 c. nuts
    (I use about ½ c. sunflower seeds. ½ c. pumpkin seeds, and ¼ c. flax seeds)
    2 c. non-wheat flour or combination of 2 flours
    (I use something like 1 c. brown rice flour, ½ c. sorghum flour, and ½ c. tapioca flour. Or you can purchase a wheat-free baking mix at a health food store that has a mixture of flours).

Instructions:
    1. preheat oven to 375 degrees
    2. Mix all wet ingredients together well, and begin to add dry ingredients. Add in the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
    3. Pour into a 9 x 4 x 3 inch greased loaf pan, or two small loaf pans. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes, reduce to 350 degrees for another 40-45 minutes.

My sister's notes:

"I love this bread, and make about a loaf a week. I keep a slice or two in a baggie with me all the time, for when I need quick snack or blood sugar lift but want something healthy.

Dr. Black calls this 'All Forgiving' because it is hard to mess up. 'You can do a lot to this recipe and still have it turn out great. Most people have no idea that it is not wheat, and kids will love it.' She likes a variation that adds 1 c. coconut milk and 1 c. millet in place of the nuts and pours it into muffin pans…bake for 17-25 minutes at 375."
  5. pepper

pepper New Member

This looks great! I am going to try it.

Love, Pepper
  6. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

I am not gluten free but sugar free so I might try this in my spare time. LOL I have no spare time but I still might try it maybe in the summer. (I am a teacher!)

Thanks for the goodies.

Love,
    Nancy