A GOOD probiotic ??? whats yours.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Mar 21, 2009.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi guys~
    still questing to nurture or regain my guts health.
    Just need some ideas on decent/proven probiotics.
    I did use at one time the gardemn of lifes Primal defense and I liked it alot. However its kinda pricey.
    (its acually very pricey if you take the recommeded dose)
    so I'm looking for a good probiotic that won't break the bank :)

Does anyone know of any reasonable decent ones to try?
    I've heard Jarrow is good. ??? and Mt Capra. ?
    Thanks so much
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

My LLMD told me to take a high quality refrigerated probiotic that contains at least 50 billion cultures per capsule and contains strains starting with bifido and lacto.

I take Ultimate Flora from Renew Life that I order through the Vitamin Shoppe.
  3. Olderbutwiser

Olderbutwiser New Member

Hi Tandy,

I was put on HTM Forte made by Seroyal by my Naturpathic doctor. It was expensive but small enough to swallow without difficulty and could also put in a small cup of applesauce to get down. I had to quit going to her because Medicare won't touch that kind of care and we no longer have insurance which didn't cover it either. I just bought a bottle of INNATE Flora 20-14, 100 per cent whole food. It is twice the size of my other probiotic and it costs $35.95 at the health food store for 60 capsules. Once I finish them I will call my Naturopathic care giver and ask her if I can just buy my products from her because she knows what to give me and the pills are smaller and easier to swallow. Probiotics must be refrigerated so be sure to read the label and treat accordingly. It really is a blessing for those of us who suffer constant yeast infections and IBS. I'm one of those people who get thrush, under arm pits,breasts,groin, mouth, ears, etc. It took a long time to get my body back on track. Probiotics did the trick.

Wishing you success,
    Older But Wiser
    [This Message was Edited on 03/22/2009]
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Tandy - I make Kefir from Kefir grains. It has many more probiotics than yogurt, and unlike yogurt, will re-populate the gut with beneficial bacteria. Kefir also has several good yeasts which help to keep the Candida yeast in check so that they don't wipe out the beneficial bacteria.

5. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I get two different formulations and alternate them. So far, I've avoided yeast problems even tho I'm on Abx for Lyme and Bartonella. I buy them online.
  6. debshomeed

debshomeed New Member

I have tried other probiotics including the ones with 50 billion strain you refrigerate but have found that LB17 works the best for me and has given me the best bowel motions I have had for years. It also brought me back from the brink of severe gastrointestinal distress and severe weight loss.

LB17 does not need refrigeration and has 17 strains of good bacteria (the wider the range of strains the better). It has been fermented for 3 years and the bacteria are able to withstand a wide range of conditions including the acidic conditions of the stomach environment.

I have taken break from LB17 (to try to keep expenses down) and I have tried some other probiotics:

OMX - 12 strains of bacteria, also fermented, no refrigeration required, also quite good. Needed to take 8 capsules a day to help my stomach issues

Biokult- 14 strains of bacteria, no refrigeration, was OK but also needed 9 capsules/day to keep stomach issues at bay.

Hope my experiences help you.

7. wldhrt

wldhrt New Member

One of the most potent probiotics is called VSL-3; it contains over 450 billion bacteria. It is kind of expensive at @$75.00 for 30 packets, and DeMeirleir suggests taking two per day for a couple of months, especially if there has been yeast overgrowth or signs of leaky gut. It actually is more like medicine, as it it used in management of Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's disease. There have been studies on VSL-3 proving its effectivness in healing the gut. You can also use it as kind of a "maintenance" supplement (once a week) if you're already taking a daily, lower dose probiotic.
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

at some of the prices of those,..I'll stick to my Primal defense. !!!
    especially since you need up to 8-9 a day with some of the ones you have listed!!

with the primal Defense I only need one a day for maintenence after the first 6 weeks of 2 or 3 a day.

I find some of these listed here way too high.
    with all the other recommended supplements I don't know how people do it??
    Thats why I remain sick I guess. ??
    Cause I don't have thousands of $$$$$$$
    as I continue my search......
  9. jaynesez

jaynesez New Member

I take "Align" which is once a day, and I think it's about $30.00 for 30 day supply (so figure $1 each) and this to me is very expensive, but I asked the GI dr. for samples (he gave me a ton) and I did break down and buy some. You only need to take one a day, and it's guaranteed. Anyways, google it, but I think they are all pretty pricey... sigh.
  10. DoveL

DoveL Member

Hello Tandy!

I use Garden of Life Probiotics, and find they are GREAT! I have tried alot of other probiotics, such as refrigerted ones, from nuropaths. I only use the powder form though, as I find that tablets are harsh on my stomach. So I mix it in juice. I know they can be a bit pricey, but I have tried so many products, and know this one works for me in helping my IBS, and even cleared my skin up too! I buy mine from Christines Cleanse Corner (is the name of the website); I find it is cheapest there. Or you can search the net if you can find it cheaper.
    I actually started using this after it was recommended from someone in my CFS support group!

OHHH... I just read your other post and saw that you are actually taking the Primal Defense! LOL!!

Good luck!
    Hugs DoveL

[This Message was Edited on 03/24/2009]
  11. dannybex

dannybex Member

Personally, I would avoid Primal Defense at all costs. I've read that it was found to contain mold (which may be due to the fact it contains so many fermented herbal ingredients?)...

Just my two cents!

p.s. Custom Probiotics makes several high-count probiotics -- something like 50-60 billion organisms per capsule. Last I checked it was about $40 a bottle, but if you consider the cost based on number of organisms per capsule, then it's a lot cheaper than most probiotics...[This Message was Edited on 03/24/2009]
  12. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

plain yoghurt
  13. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I have just recently started taking Tummy Tuneup from BeeYoutiful.com. It is about $18 for 60 capsules. It says it is actually for "acute" stomach distress, and they have an Acidophilus Blast for maintenance which is even cheaper.

I have not taken it regularly like I should, just sporadically when we have the stomach flu (which we get quite regularly - 2 small kids). It seems to really help.

Good luck. I couldn't afford the more pricey stuff either.
  14. Robbie44

Robbie44 New Member

Has anyone tried Threelac or Theralac? Did they work for anyone?
  15. dannybex

dannybex Member

I just couldn't afford to take it for more than a couple of months.

But I was actually shocked when 2 different doctors said some of their patients were improving by using it. Usually they're totally against even regular probiotics, let alone MLM-type stuff like Threelac.

It helped my anxiety big time, and also my digestion. Surprising, because it doesn't really contain very high levels of probiotics. Perhaps it's the specific types that made the difference...I don't know.

I wish they would let people sell it for whatever price they choose. You know, put it on sale for once! :)

16. quanked

quanked Member

Anyone know about this product? I am not an expert on this subject but I learned about this symbiom on this site. Sometimes it is on sale. I take it but I would have to stop it to see how much it helps.
  17. tandy

tandy New Member

I'm not sure if I've heard anything on symbion. ??? I'll look into it tho.
    as for the primal defense,...hey,... it worked excellent for me in the past,..I was just looking for a cheaper alternative. But since there seems to be none cheaper that sound good enough,..I went ahead and ordered a new bottle of the Primal Defense. 90 ct for $30. But I find I need less than the bottle says to take.
    I googled reviews and feedback on this product and I only saw one
    complaint vs. hundreds of praises.

The Threelac or or theralac (theres 2 kinds or 2 name brands) they are both suppose to be very good products. I may try one of those some time in the near future. The reviews were really good.
    Thanks for all your input on this post
    I apreciate you all
  18. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

Is there a particular time of day that is better for taking probiotics?
    I usually take mine after breakfast but wonder if I need to take it on an empty stomach?

I take Acidophilus Pearls.
  19. dannybex

dannybex Member

I believe it's recommended that they be taken with a decent glass of water BEFORE meals, and then wait 20 minutes to 1/2 hour before you eat.

If you take them after meals, then they could just end up sitting on top of your meal and get digested by your stomach acid.