A Great Pain Mgt. Doc. FINALLY! Don't give up...keep looking

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by achy, Aug 18, 2005.

1. achy

achy New Member

5yrs and 7 docs later we have a winner!

He actually read my MRI reports and understood not all my pain is caused by Fibro. The pain mgt doc that did the MRI's is the only one that understood that, but I walked out of an appt. due to his condencending arrogant behavior. LONG story) Even my intern that referred me to this doc can't understand that. They all focused on "just the fibro", But they all had the same reports!!

Anywho...my spine is a mess. I have spondylosis and moderate Degenerative Disk disease and 6 bulging disks.

But the kicker...
    2 disks are pressing on my cervical spinal canal. This is what's causing my numbness, leg & arm weakness, and my biggest surprise...the awful hand pain and cramping!!
    I've asked a hundered times what could be causing my hands to cramp & hurt so bad. "They" would just blame the fibro. ARGH!>!>!>

I'm sharing this to encourage ppl not to give up. If you feel something isn't right then keep 'pestering' your doc, keep looking for someone that listens (and can read), and keep the faith.

a very thankful,
    achy
  2. browneyelady48

browneyelady48 New Member

Hi Achy, I am so happy you got a good Dr. I have been worried about you. I havent seen you around and I knew you had not felt good.

You are right people should not give up. We need to all beleive in ourself and not give up on finding a Dr that will help us.

Love Brenda
  3. achy

achy New Member

Your thoughts are so kind, but Please don't waste your energy worrying about me...worry is stress and we don't need stress!! But its nice to know somebody cares. thankx

I took the meds the doc rx'd. For the first time in 18 years I have had 2 hours (so far) with absolutely no pain.
    I NEVER take a new med when I'm home alone, but I hurt so bad from doc visit yesterday I went ahead and took it.
    WHEEEE....feelin' no pain - But I can't stay awake either.

Got up to pee and thought I'd check e-mail & the board. Think I'll go back to bed until hubby gets home. lol lol

love ya'll...thanks
    achy
  4. paige51

paige51 New Member

I have some of the same symptoms. what treatment was administered to you? will be seeing the doctor friday for this. I hope surgery will be the last resort.

sometimes it takes a while to find out what is really going on with the body.

the pain is sooooooo bad.

good luck.
    paige51
  5. jake123

jake123 New Member

I am 12 years and 4 doctors later. My present doctor won't even look at the radiologist's report on my MRI's (a complete set of my spine) that were done last year before my neck surgery. He says , Oh, fibro is where you are a little achy. What a jerk! I don't guess you are anywhere near North Central Texas?
  6. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

So glad to here you had a good experience. I recently did the same thing you did. My pain doc said 70% of people he sees that were dx with fibro - actually wind up having a disk problem. Once the back was taken care of, they lived with no pain. Usually MD's don't look at the back becuase of the complaints of wide spread pain.

He also reads his own MRI's, because the ones that read them initially only are looking for something that would require surgery.

I have spondylothesis and also 2 torn disk - 1 between L4 & L5, and then the one below L5. Since I started PT I have felt a little better, then because of the severe curve in my low back they fitted me with a back brace.

I have to meet with the back surgeon at the end of September to find out what all my options are and choose what course I want to take. I highly recommend a good pain doc. He puts out of his mind what you are dx with and listened to all my problems. He was right. I did have a disk problem. Which is more easly recognized to get pain meds. I am so happy another has found a path to relief.
  7. elsa

elsa New Member

What a relief for you to have someone actually doing their job and looking at the whole picture.

I'm so sorry for all the problems you have with your back, but I'm glad you at least now know what's going on.

Thanks for being so positive for the rest of us. I am doing better these days, but if I had a concern that didn't stike me as FM, I'd be encouraged to keep going until I had reasonable answers.

Hope you feel better soon,

Elsa