A hairy situation----another question about hair salons...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tired42long, Oct 7, 2002.

1. tired42long

tired42long New Member

Hey all, I was just wondering if others get more ill when getting their hair "done"? I get so worried that I won't be able to sit long enough for the stylist to do the job...I really wonder if someday I'll have to run (or should I say 'crawl') out of the place after being half 'done'. The sitting kills me. But MOST of all the smells really get me dizzy and am very symptomatic for days and sometimes weeks after. I only go to salon about 2xyear because of this. I finally started coloring ---not because I NEED it of course, (haha--with six kids you better believe it!) I really just wanted something new. I used to perm my hair but know I couldn't even think of sitting for that long. (have had 5 back surgeries and with sitting/laying around on my duff for last 19 months have lost so much muscle tone in stomach and back to HOLD up my back). Do others get really sick from smelling all the chemicals in the hair salons? Do you just avoid all this? I had this thought of wearing a gas mask in there---it is THAT bad. I even thought of trying to hire someone to come to my house and do the work here because then I could open up the windows and doors for better ventilation---OH and wouldn't feel SO silly in my own house with gas mask on. YOU GUYS, I"M NOT KIDDING!!!
  2. tired42long

tired42long New Member

Hey all, I was just wondering if others get more ill when getting their hair "done"? I get so worried that I won't be able to sit long enough for the stylist to do the job...I really wonder if someday I'll have to run (or should I say 'crawl') out of the place after being half 'done'. The sitting kills me. But MOST of all the smells really get me dizzy and am very symptomatic for days and sometimes weeks after. I only go to salon about 2xyear because of this. I finally started coloring ---not because I NEED it of course, (haha--with six kids you better believe it!) I really just wanted something new. I used to perm my hair but know I couldn't even think of sitting for that long. (have had 5 back surgeries and with sitting/laying around on my duff for last 19 months have lost so much muscle tone in stomach and back to HOLD up my back). Do others get really sick from smelling all the chemicals in the hair salons? Do you just avoid all this? I had this thought of wearing a gas mask in there---it is THAT bad. I even thought of trying to hire someone to come to my house and do the work here because then I could open up the windows and doors for better ventilation---OH and wouldn't feel SO silly in my own house with gas mask on. YOU GUYS, I"M NOT KIDDING!!!
  3. pepper

pepper New Member

The smells in the salon make me feel ill. However, I get my hair done once a week because I have a hard time holding my arms up to do it myself.

My solution was to find a very small salon and I go on their least busy day (Tuesday). My hairdresser knows my problem and if there is anyone there getting a perm she calls and switches my appointment so we won't be there at the same time.She also knows I have difficulty sitting so she gives me breaks every 15 min. or so.

She does come to my home from time to time if I am very ill. There are hairdressers who do work in clients' homes as their business so you might want to look into that. Retirement homes often hire them so if you are looking. I am sure they would know someone.

Just some ideas that might help. Pepper

4. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Wow, the smells in the hair salon not only make me dizzy but gets my asthma going. I go just for haircuts on a Friday night and then style my hair at home. Had to let my hair go salt and pepper cause the hair dyes made me dizzy and sick for days---even the semi-permanent ones. I'm slowly getting used to the "silver" now that I'm 51.
    Tania
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Why? Well, for starters, my neck usually hurts so much that I have to kneel on the chair in front of the rinse bowl and bend down forward to get shampooed. I look like I'm worshipping the salon gods or something, while everyone else is laying back with their hair in the bowl like normal folks do. Then of course I have to hold towels over my face so I don't get water mixed with shampoo & chemicals in my eyes since I'm bending forward... gravity & all. I'm doing this while sneezing, of course, every two minutes from that perm/coloring chemical smell that permeates the entire place. I have a great hairdresser, thank God, who puts up with me and tells me "gosh, I have a lot of clients who have to bend over forward.." Yeah, right. And I DO wonder what effect hair chemicals have on us all....
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I go as seldom as possible, and always ask for the very first appointment on a Tuesday. That way the salon has been airing out for two chemical free days, and nobody has been in before me on that day to have stuff sprayed all around. I had a friend who was doing my hair at her home, but she just got all 5 of her grandkids dumped on her doorstep, so she has no time for this anymore. I dread having to go back to salons again, so am cutting my own bangs, doing my own color and letting it grow for now. You might also try taking an antihistamine before you go.
    Klutzo
  7. dlizard

dlizard New Member

hair color or dye.... I've been using it since about the age of 27 for lots and lots of early greying.... I always have a terrible time with heat intolerance after I use it though. I mean like my head literally feels hot and I sweat around my forhead etc... anyone else?????
  8. pepper

pepper New Member

Do you always do the patch test before coloring? It should be done every time to be sure you haven't become sensitive to it. Perhaps your scalp is red and burning from a reaction to the dye.

I bleached my eyebrows all my adult life. When I got CFS, I tried the patch test as usual for the facial bleach. For the first time it turned red and itchy and I haven't been able to use it since.

If you do react to the patch test, maybe you just need to change brands.

Pepper
  9. JudieV

JudieV New Member

Me 5 (forgot to count LOL!) Strong smells invite the pain fairy to call her friends <G> I'm lucky, my sons significant other has a beautician that very gladly comes to the house.She really goes out of her way.......sweet woman. I also find the coloring,wash, cut etc wipe me out, leave me with a migraine & wondering why I KEEP ON DOING IT!! But I'm to young to be totally white!! I started when I was 15.......now at 60 have a few brown hairs scattered. So I'm a blonde!

Florida make me selfconcious about age..........there seem to be 2 stages.........the long grey line waiting for the early bird spescials.........and the young & the beautiful! So I do the best I can...........LOL

Hugs

Judie
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

People working in hair salons are much more likely to get sick than the rest of the population because of the chemicals.

Love, Mikie
  11. WifeHasFMS

WifeHasFMS New Member

She has FMS and has worked in salons for 20 + years. She does go to peoples houses if they are unable to get around or the chemicals bother them. I never knew this could contribute to FMS. I know from her being on her feet 50 to 60 hours a week can not help but I never knew the chemicals could bother you. I wonder if she even knows they may be contributing to FMS. She is so use to those smells for over 20 years.

WifeHasFMS
  12. Katseye

Katseye New Member

What a drag! On one hand, having my hair done and pampering, helps lift my spirit, but the minute they're done, I'm running straight home, screaming with back pain. I can not schedule a long visit. It's either a color or a cut; I can't sit still for both, I'd rather come back.
    The tip about an early morning appointment is a great idea; perm aroma is a killer for me.[This Message was Edited on 10/08/2002]
  13. G

G New Member

because it made me too sick. Stopped dyeing my hair and having it permed and grew my hair. I love my gray highlights and my hair still has an wave - so that works for me. When I need my hair cut, I have my hubby do it. It's long and easy to cut straight across. At first he was nervous but now he's an pro at it.

And should I decide to shave my head, I'm sure he'll be just the person to do it!

G