A Helpful Cleaning Tool

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Seems as though all I've done lately is post about things which have helped me or made my life better but when I find things, I like to share. Most of us have unique problems and every once in a while, something comes along which really saves my poor old bod and energy level.

One day as I was trying to scrub mold and hard water residue from my bathroom, I thought how wonderful it would be if someone would invent a power brush, kinda like a battery-operated sonic toothbrush but larger for cleaning. Lo and behold, I found such a tool at the grocery store. It's sold under the Scrubbing Bubbles brand but is actually made by different manufacturer. It's called the Scrubbing Bubbles Sonic Scrubbers Power Cleaning System. The basic handle comes with one brush and a little pointy rubber brush. The little pointy brush gets into the tightest corners of the shower. I got the extra attachments which included two brushes and a scouring tool. One of the smaller brushes is perfect for under the toilet bowl edge. I keep it apart in the bathroom and all I use that one for is the toilets.

Bottom line is that it takes a fraction of the time to clean toilets, tile and tubs. I don't really scour pots and pans so don't use the tool in the kitchen. My tub has those little strips of non-slip material and they always look grimy. The brush cleaned them better than anyting I have ever tried. The best part is that it takes no pressure nor moving one's hands to clean. The tool does it all.

There is an extension handle which is difficult to find. I want it for the tub so I don't have to kneel down to clean. It's not just the kneeling which is so hard; it's the kneeling and then twishing, reaching and scrubbing which is the killer. I ended up ordering the handle from Amazon. Even with S&H, it is probably about the same cost as it would be at the store, if I could find one in a store. I looked everywhere.

Even when I got well enough to go to work part time, it was still a HUGE challenge to keep my place clean. When I wasn't working, I was resting so I could go to work again. Now that I'm in a relapse, but not as bad as 10 years ago, I'm again looking for easier ways to clean. Hmmmm, I wonder whether the batter in my old Romba will still take a charge.

I also recently found a Hoover floor scrubber with a row of brushes. It dispenses whatever cleaner I want to use, scrubs the tile floors, and then sucks up everything. It leaves the floors sparkling and dry. Still, the Romba would be nice to clean up dry dirt and lint in between. That Romba saved me when I was bedridden most of the time ten years ago. I think I'll plug it in to see what happens. The battery is probably dead for good after all this time. But, I digress...

Just wanted to share some info that might be helpful. I keep everyone in my prayers, always.

Love, Mikie
  2. spacee

spacee Member

Someone is going to get this for Christmas :) Thanks!
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

but first I need a roomba that will scoop up the dust buffaloes daily.... they multiply quicker than rabbits with 4 dogs around. (Dear Santa, will you please invent one for me and other pet owners?) LOL.... the scrubber sounds good if one doesn't have too many pets!

;)
    Victoria
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Someone would invent a house which never needs cleaning. Now that would be something!

I have no pets and I live alone and still get big ole dustballs. It's been too hot to open windows and doors until today and I have an air cleaner. I swear, I don't know where all this comes from.

The Romba looks small but it goes over and over the floor until it gets pretty much everything. It isn't perfect but it was really a God send to me when I couldn't clean much at all. Thankfully, I can now usually clean enough so that I'm not living in my own filth :)

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Someone would invent a house which never needs cleaning. Now that would be something!

I have no pets and I live alone and still get big ole dustballs. It's been too hot to open windows and doors until today and I have an air cleaner. I swear, I don't know where all this comes from.

The Romba looks small but it goes over and over the floor until it gets pretty much everything. It isn't perfect but it was really a God send to me when I couldn't clean much at all. Thankfully, I can now usually clean enough so that I'm not living in my own filth :)

Love, Mikie
  6. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I just got a Dirt Dog a couple of wks ago for my tile floors. This model is basically just a sweeper, not a vac. It's marketed for shop or garage floors, but any hard floor will do. It Works great, I'm very happy w it cuz I have A LOT of tile in my house.

THe only thing you have to do is be sure to pick up things off the floor that the Dog could get stuck on. I just lay a broom handle across the door openings in order to keep it in one room (didn't want to fork out the money for a "virtual wall").

I have used it several times and the last time, it ran for almost 2 hrs. I think it was listed as having a 1 hr charge. I do know that it gets up the tiny grit/sand and lots of cat/dog fuzzies. The only thing it doesn't get to is the very corner of the room (since he's round).

I bought it thru Hammacher Schlemmer website because it includes a lifetime warranty instead of just the 1 yr manuf warranty. It was $129 + s&h.

Next, I'd like to try a Scooba, the floor mopping/scrubbing model...my tile is pretty smooth w tiny grout joints, so it may do OK on it. Maybe Santa will deliver one for me:)
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

I read about Dirt Dog, apparently it does ok with pet hair, etc... but interestingly I just realized irobot makes a series specifically for picking up pet hair. Altho the price is about triple.

With all my other "wants", I think I can sweep the floors for exercise, and I have a DH for mopping LOL.

I think I 'need', uh make that 'want', a bigger monitor and maybe a Kindle. ;)
  8. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Nice to hear that some of these new gadgets really work.

My toilet is old and always looks dirty even though I scrub it the best I can. I've scratched the surface something terrible though.

Maybe the Scrubbing Bubbles thing will help.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

To make work easier just leaves more energy for us to have some fun. I think fun is in short supply with us a lot of the time. I've always bought Hoover vacuums because they seem to just last forever. I finally gave my ancient one away in favor of a newer "hurricane" type without bags to empty.

I got a Bissel because it was on sale and had good consumer reviews. It has a pet hair bar on the front which is supposed to collect the pet hair. It also has a pet hair attachment for upholstry. I don't use them because I don't have pets. I like because it sucks (there's another oxymoron, Victoria :) I also like not having to buy bags. This is much easier to use. That said, however, I don't like the attachments--not enough hose extensions and the old ones I had from the Hoover don't fit this one. Sooo, when I need to use attachments, I drag out my wet 'n dry vac. It sucks too and all my Hoover extensions and attachments fit it.

One thing I think should be on all floor appliances is self-winding cords. On the other hand, sometimes, it's the only exercise I get besides the actual vacuuming. It's just that there is something about the posture I have to assume which causes spasms in my back while rewinding the cords. Whine, whine, whine!

I have to take the floor scrubber out on my lanai to clean the tiles. Believe it or not, it's too cold right now. It got into the 40's down here in SW FL last night. It'll only get to about 62 later this afternoon. Doesn't sound bad but we aren't used to it.

I'm glad we've found things to help us. We deserve it.

Love, Mikie