Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Jun 4, 2008.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

When I was teaching younger students, the physical therapist would often roll the students in a blanket to calm their nervous systems. This is also often done with Autistic children.

Last night, I remembered this. When I went to bed I took some very soft pillows and draped them over my legs. It really reduced the pain. However, I did have to sleep on my back and when I do that I sometimes snore.

[This Message was Edited on 06/04/2008]
  2. CarolK

CarolK New Member

Several years ago I saw psychologists on a TV program use this technique on patients that were under stress or had other psychological issues like autisum. It was very calming to the patients. I've not thought about it until you just mentioned it.

Perhaps it is the comfort of being "back in the womb".
    I know that hugging a person has a similar effect... that's why we need our daily quota of hugs! Using "body pillows" might also help.

3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

well known author, thinker and autistic, made herself a contraption she got into which gently squeezed her.

What about wearing some kind of stocking that applies a little pressure to your legs? Or wrapping your legs loosely with ace bandages stuffed with cotton batting?

If you have localized neuropathic pain, have you considered exploring topical capsaicin? I use it for Trigeminal neuralgia, my only serious pain issue. It depletes the nerves of substance P diminishes their ability to transmit pain. Might be something to look into.

So sorry you're struggling with pain!

Hope you can find a solution.
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

A woman with Aspergers who is also an engineer, built herself a tube-like machine lined with soft leather that covered her whole body except her head. She could regulate the walls so they would hug her body. It was built similarly to the machines for horses to keep them still for something like a medical procedure on the foot or leg.

This was on Sixty Minutes about five years ago.

Supposedly this calms your nervous system by giving your brain the feedback it needs calms you physiologically. Most people are born with this feedback mechanism. This is a very simplified explanation.

However,children with ADHD and other conditions like ours that affect the nervous system, do not have this mechanism.

It is strange how this all of a sudden this popped into my mind as it was 20 years ago when I worked with this population.

Take care, GA

5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Our posts must have crossed in cyberspace!! How funny. Fortunately, the pain has decreased significantly.

Now that you mention it, I remember when I had surgery, they had something similar on my legs that compressed them, I believe to prevent blood clots?

My legs felt so good.

Unfotunately I have tried the topical creams and they do not help with me. It may have something to do with the fact I have pretty serious RLS which is more neurological.

Thanks for your advice. I will try these.

As always,

6. CarolK

CarolK New Member

7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks for the compliment. Unfortunately, I can not remember what I did fifteen minutes ago, LOL!!!!

8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I just read some of Dr Temple Grandin's articles.

They are absolutely fascinating as a lot of us have the same symptoms and I know there is suppose to be a connection.

I am trying to get the internet address here as it is a long post.

I will keep trying or put it in a seperate post.

I also remembered the word I was looking for. Tactile desensitization. Yea!!!

I may rent the book!!

9. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

You are so rignt about the pillows easing the pain. Whenever I have leg pain, I take my firm body pillow that I purchased fron HSN and I lie down,on my side, with my legs lightly wrapped around the pillow. I don't know how or why it works, but my legs always feel a little better in a relatively short period of time. Must be removing some type of pressure I guess. As with anything else pertaining to fibro, I stopped trying to figure it out. I just try to deal with it.

10. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Funny we were both posting about Dr Grandin's hugging machine. Temple Grandin is one of my heroes.

I worked with kids on the spectrum in the 1970s. We didn't know anything about anything then. Autism was thought to be the result of "refrigerator mothers". Can you imagine? I'm sure you can.

Glad you hear you're feeling better. Carry on...

11. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Interesting Discussion..I worked with Autistic kids 40 yrs ago and it was tough but interesting..
    I currently have a mild Aspergers kid I am trying to help and he told me the other day that his dog was a sook/Woos because he hugged him so much when he was a puppy,
    I think sometimes we are so educated we don't follow what our body tells us and these people are so free from social influence they are refreshing , if you can handle,it and I am not sure i can anymore.
    I see no loss of energy in Autism etc but I seeing similar brain probs as he tells me about his overload problems and need for concrete learning situations rather than any coding systems like maths.
  12. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I think you have made a good point.

I think there is a definite link between many of the students with "developmental disorders" as an umbrella term for a long time. So many were helped with this kind of therapy and for some like ADHD combined with medication.

The students I have worked with over the years are the severe ones with ADD, like a 12 year old literally not able to sit and concentrate for 30 seconds.

I would think it would be the neurological symptoms that is the connection between our DD and Autism. I know there have been studies with the methlyn process (?) but I am not sure if it is a cause of effect. I tend to think the latter.

And I do remember mother's being blamed for causing their child's Autism.

Take care, GA

13. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

I have noticed this myself, whether it's a blanket or warm hands, even pet that leans up against me, it's soothing,

I still have to have my upper body wrapped, even if its hot. I use a king size pillow to place against my back, hold another, and lay on a firm down pilow.

Sometimes I ask my kids to "tuck me in" and that helps.
    Also, I bought an electric blanket this past winter and that really helps.
  14. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You made me think of something else. Swaddeling is good for babies with colic.

It is considered in most cases, just an immature nervous system which has not caught up. It improves in time. It is not a develpmental disorder but just that some babies have a more developed nervous system.

Putting a colicly baby in one of those traveling seats, on top of a running dryer with the parent standing there of course helps. They are getting the stimulation there body is craving. Also swaddeling and riding in a car. At least this is what my pediatrician told me 25 years ago. If anyone has updated info, correct me here.

[This Message was Edited on 06/06/2008]
  15. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I sleep on my side(s). Because of lower back pain, I learned to sleep with a low, firm pillow on either side of me so when I turn over, I can put one between my knees. It's simpler than trying to roll with a pillow. I also like to sleep with a pillow over my head.

I feel very "secure" (and now hot) with this arrangement. I thought of it when I read this post. Perhaps, in addition to relieving strain on my lower back, I'm also comforting myself!

Hey, I have a cat who sucks her "arm" and kneads the bed to comfort herself. We make a fine pair!

Seriously, how many of us don't get enough hugs or touching, for that matter?

16. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I know that I don. However my grandaughter is so cuddely that I think I get some of my minimum daily requirement, LOL!!!

17. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

I remember that as well but I think it was with a rebirthing thing, not sure, trouble with me am so heavy and stiff with pain I wont budge!!!!LOL

Good luck all

18. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You are right there was a program where people would be in a blanket and supposedly relive their birth. It was a craze in California for a while. Unfortunately,a child died because of the intervention when she was accidently smothered.

I have not heard about this for years. I feel like I am traveling down memory lane here.

The blanket rolling, I am talking about is for the nervous system.

Some posters are saying for comfort or both.

So now we can add another one, LOL!!

Thanks for the post.

[This Message was Edited on 06/05/2008]
  19. ephemera

ephemera New Member

I recall reading Temple Grandin's book about how her redesigned cattle shoots in cattle yards developed out of her own personal apparatus.

There are times I more or less cocoon myself in bed with the comforter when I'm having huge sensory overload for hours.

whatever it takes...

best thoughts
  20. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Maybe we need a giant "cocoon fest" where we could all lie next to each other with quiet music in the background. Let's see, what else could we add to that?

The sound of the ocean or rain.

There would have to be some hard and fast rules for this since everyone would be in close proximity,such as no snoring, no bad breath, clothes mandatory under the blanket and no fa**ing. People could be excused to the proper facilities to do the latter.

Maybe servers whispering if we would like to order comfort food such as expensive chocolate and let us know when it is time to take our pills.

Can you tell that I grew up in the sixties and seventies?

Can you tell that it is realllly time for me to go to bed about thirty minutes ago?

[This Message was Edited on 06/05/2008]