A little support/advice?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CarolDonz, Jun 24, 2003.

1. CarolDonz

CarolDonz New Member

Hi everyone,

I can certainly use support and info in dealing w/various illnesses.

In case I didn't mention it earlier, I have CFS, fibro, IBS, and a lot of anxiety.

Anyone w/some good advice on the IBS?

Thanks,
    Carol
  2. suz41

suz41 New Member

Carol:

Sorry to hear you are having so many difficulties. As far as the IBS is concerned it could be many things. Start by looking at your diet. Certain foods can really wreak havoc on your system, like dairy products foods with seeds, Cucumbers can cause gas, Iceburg lettuce celery and onions are difficult to digest. Try eating whole grain breads instaed of processed flour breads and add fruits to your diet. There are medications for IBS but you most likely will have to talk to your doctor for a script. As far as the anxiety have you tried any relaxation techniques or yoga there are many begginner tapes that are good and they also include meditation and relaxation. Try to stay away from the anti-anxiety dugs that can become a vicious cycle and again speak with your doctor, there are many anti-depressants given at very low dosages that may help with you FM and anxiety. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Suz41
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

has a LONG history of IBS and reacts strongly to many triggers. She has taken several meds to combat the symptoms over the years, but right now, LIBRAX is working well to relax her intestines and calm her nervous stomach. I took this years ago, myself, when my divorce was causing my belly to overreact; maybe it'll help you, along with proper diet and stress management.
    I pray for your comfort.
    Love,
    kady
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Carol, welcome to the board. I also have FM, IBS and now and then, anxiety.

What I take for the IBS (except try to keep the stress down), is Probiotics, Noni Juice, and Aloe Juice. Also I am very careful what I eat. Lots of foods will trigger the IBS, especially white flour, MSG, caffeine, sugar, chocolate, gastric foods and a whole list of other foods, meds, OTC's, especially asprin and codine for me.

I do not take meds for this, as I have found that most of them cause other problems for me.

Again, welcome to the board.................

Shalom, Shirl
  5. CarolDonz

CarolDonz New Member

Hi Kady,

Thank you so much for your response about the IBS. I have heard of Librax and will ask my gastro Dr. about it.

Thank you also for your prayers!

Love,
    Carol
  6. DetMills

DetMills New Member

I'm sorry to hear you are suffering with IBS. My sister also suffers with that. You are not alone: I just read that about 20% of the adult population have IBS either chronically or during particular periods of their lives. There are some prescription drugs that can calm the abdominal cramping. I also think stretching and massage and even breathing exercises can help with cramping.

If you want to go the homeopathic route, you can try some of the dietary changes recommended above. Some other ideas are: combining Colostrum with probiotics; use of digestive enzymes with each meal, dramatically increasing water and fiber intake, flaxseed oil, and reduction of refined products and sugars, which interfere with the absorption of minerals that can ease symptoms in addition to being linked to an increased risk of Chrohn's disease and colitis.

The only supplement above I have not used myself regularly is digestive enzymes, and you might want to do some research on them to determine if they are really of any value. I've heard both pro and con about digestive enzymes. Maybe someone here has some experience with them.

Good luck,
    Mike
  7. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I take a probiotic called Natren's Superdophilus - I get that from my Naturopath.

I used to take metamucil daily, even 2ce a day, as recommended by my bowel doc. But, not sure if you are supposed to have fiber if in bad flare up.

I take digestive enzymes.

Last year or so, my bowel has been pretty good, most of the time.

I try to increase my intake of steamed vegetables [still working on that...] and eat whole grains/ whole foods.

Hope you find some of these suggestions helpful.

Jen F