A llittle rant about "research"....coping skills

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by minimonkey, Jan 11, 2006.

1. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

In my recent reading, I've come across something that really makes me angry....

A lot of the literature on these dds likes to break us up into 3 categories --

First one is those who "report the most pain and symptoms" and are the most functionally disabled, have the most mood symptoms, etc. They go to doctors more often than the others (often referred to as health-care seeking behaviors.)

Second one is somewhere in the middle

Third one is those who "report less pain and fewer symptoms", are less disabled, etc. These folks are referred to as "adaptive copers."

What irks me is the conclusion that the researchers have come to --- they conclude that those of us who "cope better" feel less sick and disabled than those who don't. Upshot is that teaching us to "cope better" would reduce our use of the healthcare system, etc.

Seems to me they have failed to consider that they may have it backwards! --- Perhaps, just perhaps, the folks in the first category actually ARE sicker than the others. They REPORT more pain and symptoms because they HAVE more of them. GOSH, imagine this -- the sicker one is, the more disabled one becomes... staggering.

I imagine that if you took one of the people in the first category and reduced his/her pain/symptoms by half, you'd probably see a corresponding increase in functioning/ability to work/general ability to "cope" with life.

Likewise, if you took one of these supposed "adaptive copers" and gave them more pain and a few additional diagnoses, I bet they would probably be less able to work and function, less able to "cope". They might even get depressed.

Sorry for ranting, but this really upsets me. I am one of those "adaptive coper" types -- I can still work, still manage to be type -A most of the time, etc. (even though it nearly kills me at time) --- yes, I'd love to be able to take credit for my amazing coping skills, but I'm fully aware that if you added CFIDS into my Fibro, or gave me more pain, fibro fog, etc.-- I WOULDN'T be able to do this anymore.

I'm betting that most of us cope amazingly well with the pain and symptoms we have... it is just that some of us are a lot sicker than others, therefore we can do more.

2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

and I agree with you 100%.

So often the drs. seem to confuse cause and effect.

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

...isn't this typical? It gets to me also. Also, do they ever think that some people can't afford to go to the docs, or others have great families that help them more. It is all so subjective and demeaning towards those of us in constant pain.

Good rant.
    Hugz Crom
  4. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

their logic isn't even logical, but is in fact just plain silly. why is it so illogical that really sick people would go to the doctors more often than someone who is not sick. the simplist conclusion is that sick people go more often because they are sick, not because they want attention. blah. jen102
  5. matthewson

matthewson New Member

that the people who do those studies and write those reports have not ever had to deal with chronic pain! I agree with you that most likely the one's who they say are not coping well ARE the one's in more pain! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out!

Geesh!!! It amazes me the amount of money going out for studies that are just plain stupid!!

Thanks for the post. Sally