A Long Winter, So Far

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Feb 19, 2018.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

This is the third winter that I've had a really bad infection hit me. Two years ago it was a bladder infection that lasted for almost a year, then, last year, the flu and a strep infection that took months to get over.

Since the first week of December I've had so many symptoms that I've never had before. I had what seemed like angina attacks but before I could get it checked out I had a bronchial infection would not go away. I developed bronchial asthma and had many other respiratory symptoms. I have been so weak that I couldn't go to the doctor. I called my PCP about the wheezing and shortness of breath but they would not prescribe an inhaler unless I came to the office.

Going in was impossible. We had below freezing temps. for weeks on end, I couldn't stand on my feet more than about a minute and the only option would have been an ambulance. I finally got in touch with a new service that does home visits. They are a palliative care agency but they knew I was desperate and sent a nurse practitioner over. She wrote 3 pres. for me and told me about an agency that will come to my home and give regular care. I'm in the process of setting this up now.

I am still SO sick. I still have wheezing and shortness of breath but can stand up for about 5 to7 minutes now before I'm gasping for breath. I hope to get an EKG and chest x-ray as soon as the in-home folks can start. They have lab equipment to bring to the home.
    I am hoping that I don't have a heart problem, never had one in the past.

This is probably the scariest thing I've had to deal with yet as far as my ilnesses go. I just wanted to check in with the board. I've not disappeared but not been posting at all. Hope everyone is doing well and all are recovering from the winter ailments. Going back to bed now. I've been sleeping a lot. Take care, Hugs, GB

P.S. I am getting a little better as time goes by. Another reason I couldn't bear the idea of going to the dr's. office is that I cannot take flu shots so I didn't want to get exposed in this weakened state. The nurse practitioner said I did the right thing by not going in so I guess it will all work out.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Mikie likes this.
  2. hangininthere

hangininthere Well-Known Member

Oh wow, GB, so wonderful the nurse practitioner came to your house, wow! And so glad you'll be getting some home health care! They even bring lab equipment, wow! That's great!

Thanks for checking in, Hon. Hang in there!!!

gb66 likes this.
  3. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Thanks Patti. I feel like it was a miracle that they got to me within a few days. They won't be the ones treating me long term but if I ever need palliative care I'm already signed up with them. They saved my life I believe. GB
  4. hangininthere

hangininthere Well-Known Member

Yes, they saved your life! Talk about having mercy! Definitely a miracle!

gb66 likes this.
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hope that you are feeling better soon, GB. Take care of yourself. That's great that you can get home health care.
    gb66 likes this.
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi GB

Good Grief! One thing after another. So happy to hear that you are finally getting some
    help. I hope you'll be much better sooner. Have missed you around these parts.

If we weren't so far apart I'd bring you a bowl of Gordon's homemade soup.

gb66 likes this.
  7. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Thank you TigerLilea. I've reached a point that I can't keep going to all these medical appnt's. I still will have to go to the eye doc, dentist and gyn. but at least I won't have to go out in the middle of winter for emergencies. I get so sick during the winter. Get infections every year now. GB
  8. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, I wish I had that soup! I've not been eating enough lately. Sometimes we get soup at Panera's but it's always the same, chicken noodle!

A few months ago I made some bean and ham soup in the slow cooker. Maybe I'll try again when I'm better. Thanks for the well wishes. GB
    rockgor likes this.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, GB,

I am so very sorry to find out about this. I am so glad you found this wonderful service which likely did save your life. I also cannot get flu shots so I understand your concern. According to Dr. Cheney, we have one side of our immune systems which can be overactive. This is why I cannot take the flu shots. My immune system goes into overdrive making me very sick. The other side of our immune systems can be very sluggish and allow infections to stay with us. This is what can make it so difficult to get over viruses and other infections. Unfortunately, we can get so run down with these infections that we get something else.

Please, Dear One, do whatever you can to get rid of this crud. We will all be praying for you. Also, please keep us updated on how you are doing.

Love, Mikie
    gb66 likes this.
  10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Mikie, Thank you for your prayers. I am very fortunate to have had such quick service from that agency. When my husband called them they had a doctor return the call to see if I could be approved. It just happened that the doctor's brother has CFS and FM! I was approved in one hour. Some agencies don't even consider CFS a real disease. Ignorance abounds.

That's why I called it a miracle. It was. My PCP would not prescribe me a simple asthma inhaler without seeing me. His nurse wanted him to do it, in fact she called today to see how I was doing. She said she had this bronchial thing too and knew what I was going through. I appreciate her concern for me. I'm 's l o w l y' getting better! GB
    bct, Mikie and hangininthere like this.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dear GB,

I am so happy that you are getting better. It's too bad that doc's brother has what ails us but I'll bet it makes him a better doc. The bronchial thing is going around and we have allergies now which are driving everyone nuts. I'll keep you in my prayers and hope you continue to improve. I hope it's OK that I posted on the Porch. The Porchies will be praying for you too.

Love, Mikie
    gb66 likes this.
  12. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Good Buddy

Glad to hear the news. Hope you are soon back to your usual self. I think we need some new rules about being ill.

For example: No one should be ill with more than one problem at a time. No period of
    sickness should last longer than a day and a half. The cost of caring for an illness should not exceed $5.00.

Well, when I was a kid a 5 dollar bill would pay for a doctor visit and filling a prescription
    at the drug store. Furthermore you would have enough left to buy a cherry coke at the soda
    fountain, a comic book and a box of stationery.

bct likes this.
  13. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Hi to Mikie and Rock. Mikie, it's okay that you posted on the Chit Chat board. Can't have too many prayers. Both of my daughters (who live in different states) had the bronchial thing but got over it much, much quicker. Even the one on chemo. CFS really saps your strength over time. And 40 years is a long time.

I agree with all you've said about sickness. You know, I would give a quarter for a good fountain coke or cherry coke. I wonder is anyone still makes these. They were the best. I remember when I was a kid in Tampa we would eat lunch at Woolworth's or Newberry's. I always ordered a blt and a cherry coke. Yum. GB
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    dmcduck, bct and rockgor like this.

[ advertisement ]