A look inside another faith

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by TwoCatDoctors, Oct 30, 2010.

1. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I saw a man I haven't seen for a while. He is of a particular Jewish faith (I don't know what it is called) and he tells me bits and pieces of that faith, but I never ask questions of him about his faith because I figure he'll tell me what he wants me to know. He always wears a Yamaka, always wears his hair short, always wears long dress slacks and a dress shirt even in the hot summer--never shorts or a polo shirt.

He also wears a frayed cloth at his waist and at almost 60 has never been married. One time he explained to me that with his particular faith he is not allowed to enter any church except his own--so that he cannot attend weddings of other faiths, and cannot attend funeral services in churches of other faiths so that he missed the church services for a good man he knew that passed on, but was able to attend the grave-side service. He also said that his faith insists that he not be alone with a woman in a room and there must always be a third person there and that is out of respect for the woman.

This man is also a person who at meetings we both attended, that he always interrupted female speakers, but did not interrupt male speakers. I came to the conclusion (perhaps wrongly) that males may hold a higher authority in his faith and were not to be interrupted.

I just thought a peek (because a peek is all I can offer) into another religion and some of the guidelines they have set forth, would be helpful to others here in understanding other faiths.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/30/2010]
  2. windblade

windblade Active Member

I've been reading a wonderful, witty, intelligent writer, Lauren Winner. Her father was Orthodox Jewish, and her mother kind of a lapsed Protestant. Lauren grew up and embraced her Orthodox jewish faith, and then later became a Christian.

What she has given to me is the sacred richness of her Jewish experiences. For instance in her book, 'Mudhouse Sabbath' - she writes about things like the beautiful and wise and very interesting customs for grieving. Times for the bereaved to have the support of the community, not to have to act falsely cheery, which I absolutely hate in so many of our tepid contemporary 'ceremonies'.

These rituals run very wisely along the known teachings of the stages of grief. And help through the shock, the disorientation, having time off from regular life, but with support. The details I remember are walking barefoot at one point - being very connected to the earth. And holding an egg - as a symbol at a certain point of readiness to gently move ahead.

I'm just remembering now - my next door neighbor - close childhood friend was Jewish, and I experienced such joy in the preparing for Sabbath meals, and special holidays that I was invited to.

It made a huge impression on me of the sacredness of everyday things ,bread, and drinking of wine, ALL AT HOME. I grew up very Protestant, and the great beauties - sacramental rituals that I experienced with my neighbors stayed with me as something of earthly things becoming glowingly holy.
  3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Judy, your post reminded me that I found a grief blog from Jewish parents that did not attend Temple, and I posted it on the Grief Board here. It is below. It goes into more details about how the Jewish community came to help the parents after their son's death. Their insight I found very valuable. The mother mentioned about how they had so many people from the Temple helping out immediately to prepare their home, etc., but within a while they were left on their own and how being so alone really let the grief hit.

It's an EXCELLENT blog and does have roots in spirituality found in a son's death, and the honor thereafter paid through Temple services each year. It also is about struggle and pain that brought the parents almost to their knees, but that they pushed through. It is so worth reading.

http://www.prohealth.com/blog/boardDetail.cfm?id=1943&setboard=Grief
  4. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Jam, at least be honest and don't sulk as there was no win and it wasn't about that. You didn't remove what you wrote for my sake--you did it to make sure we don't risk losing the Board (and to make sure there are no consequences to you). I haven't seen the person around who wrote the negative remarks on the first bold post on this board and the moderators caught it and removed it. That person used to come here from time to time.
  5. windblade

windblade Active Member

I read the blog of the grieving father, and left a reply on your original post on the grief board.

Love, Judy
    [This Message was Edited on 11/02/2010]