A memory I can't figure out.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gapsych, Dec 9, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Do any of you remember when you could buy a watermelon and the produce person would cut a triangle in the melon then pull it out so you could see and taste the slice to decide whether you wanted it or not?

Is this a false memory? A pigment of my imagination?

If this indeed happened, what would you do if you did not like it? Was there a stack of triangulated watermelons somewhere in a back room to be sold later at a reduced price?

My sister insists this is a false memory. I have money riding on this, so I need some help!!

ETA I also have wondered the same thing about wine brought to you in a fine restaurant. Has anyone ever refused the wine? I wonder how many people have ordered wine, it did not taste like it should but be too embarrassed to turn it down?

Maybe I have too much time on my hands right now. You think?

[This Message was Edited on 12/09/2009]
  2. Busyknitter2

Busyknitter2 New Member

No Gap this is not a false memory. I can remember doing this when I was young. It was such a big deal that I got a chance to taste a little bite. It always was so good. I don't know that they did with the ones that people refused. I can never rember my Momma or Daddy refusing one that we tried.
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Remember the episode on "The Golden Girls" where the girls are
    shopping for produce? Betty White pulled a knife outta her purse and
    cut out a sample of a cantelope.

Back in those days fruit had flavor. It was highly unlikely a
    melon would be rejected. But if one was, it was taken home
    and used to make watermelon soup.

I remember when I was a teenager, a farmer was selling watermelons
    from the back of his pickup. The price was 25 cents. I bought one
    and took it home feeling proud that I was contributing to the family's
    food supply.

I suspect the number of bottles of wine rejected is also miniscule.
    I'm sure the staff is ready to do its duty by polishing off any bottles
    that are refused.

4. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

As a child, we were not farmers, but lived in farming country and we would go to the market and the produce was from all the farms and super fresh and the triangle cut to make sure. And the large bin of candy at the market, the adults could take a piece to taste it to see if they liked it to want to buy it--today you have to pay for that sample piece of candy. And you shucked down the corn to see what it looked like. Today they frown on you shucking down the corn, but I do it anyway.