A misconception of Science Based Medicine.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Nov 11, 2010.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

The following is from Science Based Medicine.

"We advocate science-based medicine (SBM) on this blog. However, from time to time, I feel it necessary to point out that science-based medicine is not the same thing as turning medicine into a science. Rather, we argue that what we do as clinicians should be based in science. This is not a distinction without a difference.

If we were practicing pure science, we would be theoretically able to create algorithms and flowcharts telling us how to care for patients with any given condition, and we would never deviate from them. It is true that we do have algorithms and flowcharts suggesting guidelines for care for a wide variety of conditions, but there is wide latitude in them, and often a physician’s “judgment” still ends up trumping the guidelines.

While it is also true that sometimes physicians have an overinflated view of the quality of their own “clinical judgment,” sometimes to the point of leading them to reject well-established science, as Dr. Jay Gordon frequently does.

WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE PHYSICIAN'S JUDGEMENT IS KNOWING HOW TO APPLY EXISING MEDICAL SCIENCE TO INDIVIDUAL PATIENTS BASED ON THEIR CIRCUMSTANCES AND YES, EVEN DESIRES AND VALUES"

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=8109#more-8109

I edited the above into smaller paragraphs for easier reading. Caps are mine.

gap