A Must See Documentary:"Under Our Skin" being shown on PBS, see schedule

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nanie46, May 8, 2011.

1. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Anyone who has been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, MS, Parkinson's, Psychiatric Disorders, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Alzheimer's, Crohn's disease, etc.

Anyone who ever goes outside, lives with people who go outside, or has pets that go outside should watch this dramatic documentary film being shown on PBS called "Under Our Skin".

It is about the hidden epidemic of Lyme disease and how people are being misdiagnosed with illnesses like fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, etc.

You may very well see yourself in one of the stories being told in this important documentary.

The list in the link if being continually updated, so keep checking back if you don't see your area listed, or call your local PBS station and request that it be shown.

Edited to add that this documentary is also available on Netflix![This Message was Edited on 05/09/2011]
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I've read good things about Under Our Skin, have wanted to see it but it's not showing on my local PBS station, and not availalbe through Netflix (at least not yet)

But thanks for posting the link - I've added it to my favorites and can check it periodically -

3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Your welcome.

I just read a post on lymenet.org that said someone watched Under Our Skin on free streaming on Netflix. They said they requested it and it finally showed up.

I don't have Netflix so I'm not sure how it works, but you may want to check with them.
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

You can also purchase the DVD of this documentary:

5. quanked

quanked Member

Thanks for posting info of this documentary. I watched on Netflix.

Very haunting to me. So many parallels between LYME and CFIDS in terms of how the system has dealt with the diseases. Conflict of interest does not seem to be an issue in any arena anymore. From our various branches of government to groups of experts lined up to respond to a crisis in public health. Very shameful behavior. I wanted to smack the doc from Yale.

A sad, sad and frightening situation for patients and an expose on how our medical establishment and big pharma are in bed together.

One more thing to be disgusted about. And the brave doctors who have tried to help patients, and in some cases succeeded, talk about the power of social pressure. I am still shaking my head.

Not sure that I got the sense that there is a cure for Lyme. Some things were confusing to me in the film. But I am just not up to trying to articulate much more here. I have been sick all day. Up and down, up and down turning the heat on and then turning the heat off and opening the door.
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I had had it on my list for many months and looked just now, and it is available for streaming (or you can order it) - yay! Will definitely watch it -

7. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

It's also available to watch instanty on Amazon.com for I think $3.99

8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

It was difficult to watch, particularly the persecution of doctors who treat lyme patients, and the disclosure of all the conflicts of interest of IDSA panelists who developed meaningless lyme treatment guidelines, and the fact that most of the complaints against lyme doctors were made not by patients but by insurance companies who didn't want to pay for treatment.

I am sure the etiology of CFS treatment has similar origins - it includes many of the same factors - e.g., denial of the existence of CFS by mainstream doctors, lack of treatment etc.

One person makes the point that lyme emerged as a growing disease threat at the same time as managed care (also a threat to health in many cases), and of course this was at the same time that CFS began to take center stage, or rather, was delegated to the back of the bus.

Also of course the stories of lyme patients were very moving.

One thing I am certain of after watching this is that I do not have lyme - I have no neurological symptoms, none of the symptoms of the lyme patients.

Anyways, it's really worth watching - I saw it on streaming Netflix.

9. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I'm glad you got to watch Under Our Skin.

I hope the word gets out so everyone will watch.

Chronic lyme is not necessarily cured, but can go into remission....it's about resolving symptoms so one can have good quality of life.

10. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

So glad you watched!!!

It's hard to believe that something like this can happen in the USA in 2011, isn't it?

I'm glad that you do not have any neurological symptoms.

The tricky thing about lyme symptoms is that there are so many varied ones.

30 Lyme patients would have 30 different sets of symptoms.

Anyone who looks at me would think that I am the picture of health...looks like there is nothing wrong with me at all.... but they cannot feel what I feel.

My symptoms are not anything like Mandy's in the movie.

Neurological symptoms can be headaches, burning or stabbing pains, lightening like jabs, Bell's palsy, tremors or shaking, numbness, tingling, pinprick sensations, weakness or partial paralysis, pressure in the head, lightheadedness, vertigo, wooziness, fainting, muscle twitching, poor balance, dizziness, difficulty walking, increased motion sickness, warm/cool sensations, abnormalities of taste or smell, constant low body temperature, seizures, abnormal blood flow in brain, diminished reflexes, hearing music or sounds others can't hear, visual or auditory hallucinations, odor hallucinations, restless leg syndrome, trigeminal neuralgia, etc.

I have a few of those....but nothing that anyone would notice about me.

For anyone who wants to review the symptom list for lyme and tick borne diseases, there is a great list in this booklet:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts after watchng the movie. I hope lots of others will watch too.
  11. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator