a new article I found on FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sunflowergirl, Oct 24, 2005.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

I was searching the web about hypoglycemia and found this Doctor Majid Ali out of New York/New Jersey. I found this very interesting.

A Snapshot of Fibromyalgia

What is fibromyalgia? Fibromyalgia (FM) is often considered a medical mystery. It need not be. I often hear all laboratory tests are negative in patients with FM. That's not true. Most physicians are uneasy when confronted with persons suffering with FM. That need not be so. I sometimes hear FM is not treatable. Nothing is further from the truth.

Why are so many people confused about the cause of FM? Because it doesn't fit into some neat model of a disease category. Why isn't FM treated successfully by mainstream doctors? Because there are no effective drugs for it.

THREE BASIC FACTS ABOUT FIBROMYALGIA
    1. All symptoms of fibromyalgia are caused by cellular oxygen deprivation.
    2. Oxygen deprivation is caused by dysfunctional oxygen metabolism.
    3. Oxygen metabolism becomes abnormal due to excessive and cumulative oxidative stress caused
    by sugar overload, antibiotic abuse, undiagnosed allergies, synthetic chemicals, and anger.

Dysfunctional oxygen metabolism is not merely lack of oxygen in the air we breathe, in the blood, or in the cells. This is a critical distinction. I coin this term for a much deeper problem of oxygen metabolism within the cells that involves failure of enzymes involved in oxygen metabolism. This also forms the core of my ODD theory of the fibromyalgia/fatigue complex (ODD stands for oxidative-dysoxygenative dysfunction).

3 R's OF FIBROMYALGIA

Fibromyalgia is Real.
    Fibromyalgia is Reversible.
    Fibromyalgia cannot be Reversed with drugs.

That fibromyalgia is reversible is the second core point of this article. It is regrettable that many fibromyalgia "experts" emphatically state that it is irreversible. (Why would anyone become an expert in a disease that he can never effectively treat?) I strongly disagree with them.
    I consider persons with fibromyalgia as human canaries whose oxygen enzymes are more easily injured than other people. They are more vulnerable to unrecognized allergies, sugar overload, excessive antibiotics, and anger, and have been poisoned by synthetic chemicals. Those human canaries are telling us something important about the shape of things to come. What injures their oxygen enzymes eventually will injure the oxygen enzymes of others, unless we find ways to protect the oxygen metabolism.

FOUR MAIN SYMPTOMS OF FIBRO CANARIES
    1. Persistent muscle pain and weakness.
    Explanation: Oxygen deprivation causes muscle pain.
    2. Disabling fatigue.
    Explanation: Oxygen deprivation in tissue causes fatigue and exhaustion.
    3. Brain fog (problems of mood, memory, and mentation).
    Explanation: Oxygen deprivation in brain cells causes brain fog and dysfunction.
    4. Air hunger.
    Explanation: Oxygen deprivation within the cells causes air hunger.

The last item requires a special comment. Like other physicians, until some years ago I accepted the prevailing view that the body learns about the lack of oxygen through special oxygen sensors in the brain as well as in the walls of large blood vessels in the chest and neck. My fibro canaries have forced me to look deeper into this issue. The sense of air or oxygen hunger in fibromyalgia cannot be explained merely on the basis of those oxygen sensors. Oxygen levels in the large vessels in those locations are within the normal range in fibromyalgia. Thus, I had to look for some other mechanism. Now I believe oxygen hunger is caused by abnormal oxygen metabolism within the cells —though the evidence for my view at this point is indirect.

OTHER MAJOR SYMPTOMS OF FIBRO CANARIES
    1. Symptoms of weakened immune systems, such as sore throats, swollen neck glands,
    and painful tissues.
    Explanation: Oxygen deprivation in immune cells causes immune weaknesses.
    2. Abdominal bloating, cramps, episodes of diarrhea and constipation, and problems
    of digestion and malabsorption.
    Explanation: Oxygen deprivation in the bowel causes bloating, cramps, and malabsorption.
    3. Cold sensitivity and poor circulation.
    Explanation: Oxygen deprivation in skin causes cold sensitivity.
    4. Sleep difficulties, restless leg syndrome, and legs.
    Explanation: Oxygen deprivation interferes with functions of the sleep center and causes other
    problems, such as restless leg syndrome.
    5. Lightheadedness, dizziness, heart palpitations, and skipped beats.
    Explanation: Oxygen deprivation in the heart and vessel walls causes lightheadedness, dizziness,
    heart palpitations, and skipped beats.
    6. Dry skin, dry eyes, dry mouth, and dry vaginal tissues.
    Explanation: Oxygen deprivation in the cells of the skin, eyes, mouth and vagina muscles
    causes cell shrinkage and dryness skin.
    7. Vaginitis, bladder spasms, and bladder infections in women and prostatitis in men.
    Explanation: Oxygen deprivation in genital tissues causes vaginitis, bladder spasms,
    and bladder infections in women and prostatitis in men.
    8. Joint and muscle stiffness and pain.
    Explanation: Oxygen deprivation in joints and muscles causes stiffness and pain.
    9. Lack of sex drive in both sexes and menstrual irregularities in women.
    Explanation: Oxygen deprivation interferes with the enzyme functions of
    sexual organs and their hormones.

Would you like to comment on this story? Tell Dr. Ali what you think: mail to Dr. Ali

You can look him up on the internet and read more about what he has to say.
  2. Megumi

Megumi New Member

What is oxygen deprivation and how do you fix it? He says a lot of what it does but not how nor what to do about it.

3. sunflowergirl

I've requested it from the library and I'll let everyone know. My friend, who takes Yoga, talked about the deep breathing, which I have been trying to practice. This gets oxygen to our cells.
  4. elsa

elsa New Member

Thank you Sunflower for posting. Dr. Ali's first few sentences containing oxygen had my interest as I feel the mitochondria is highly effected in CFS/FM.

But soon after that he lost me. I cannot accept theories presented as fact. He did use the word "Cure" as it relates to his treatment, although he did allow later in article that his thoughts/treatments are as yet unsubstanciated.

The article says that there are no effective treatments for fibromyaligia.

I disagree. There are indeed effective treatments geared towards remission (not cure), and many are benefitting from them.

He truly lost me when he compared me to "one of his little fibro canaries". Just can't go there, you know?!

I took a look at his site. He has a very varied background. I had a hard time with the site ... unorganized and hard on the eyes. I most definately saw the bright red section where I could by his books though! LOL

As always, I am usually the last person to scoff at something if it has truly helped someone to improve.(Without turning that person's world up-side down in order to accomplish it.)

I hope you are doing well. Thanks again for posting the article. I think I'll stick to my current treatment plan though.

Take care,

Elsa
  5. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Thanks for the Info, Sunflowergirl.

I know that when I get my Massages, it helps the flow of oxygen to my blood, also my MT, has to remind me at times to Breathe. I sometimes find myself breathing in a shallow mode.
    He guides me through some great excerises.
    My Sinus still plugg up tho , when I have to lay on my Tummy. ;o]

I found some great excerises, for the Paradoxical Breathing that some folks with FMS, can fall into.
    It has also helped with the Diaphram, and my singing, again.

I'll look for the web url, and post the info on this, it sure helps when we can get the Oxygen to our Brain Cells, and Muscle's.
    I know I feel better.

Still, who know's what the Cause is. I think, I know, MHO, lol, is that there isn't just one cause, but that there are related condition's, that are confusing our Immune System.

Stress for instance, when I'm stressed, I go into that awful half breathing. It's part of why I get dizzy, and knowing that, has helped me to learn how to Breathe.

Thanks again, for this interesting Article, I think the more we read the more knowledge we gain, wheather or not, it leads to an answer, or causes more confusion, at least, there is Researh going on.

Hug's,
    ;o)
    sharonk
  6. sunflowergirl

That was so very interesting what you wrote. I like to come to this board for new information that possibly I might learn from to pass on to a doctor. I really don't understand all that Dr. Ali wrote though.

Sharon. I too find myself doing half breaths without realizing it. Also, years ago when I had a treadmill test the doctor told me to close my mouth or I will hyperventilate. Sometimes it's hard to do that because I have nose problems and usually only one side works at a time!!!!
  7. sunflowergirl

My son has one too. When he was younger I used to ask him if we should both go have our noses done.

By the way, I just tried something last night for my nose. I have trouble flying planes because of my ears getting plugged and my nose being stuffed up. Once when we were in Cozumel I had gone snorkeling the day before (salty water) and the next day was like a dream on the plane. No ear troubles at all. I mentioned this to a friend that was flying with us and he said the doctor told him to run warm salt water through his troubled ear and it would clear up. I figured the same happened with my nose.

Last night I tried putting some warm salt water in both nostrils and it works!!!!!! Within 5 minutes both sides were opened up. Today I'm going to buy a bulb syringe just for that purpose.

I'm wondering how many of us suffer from breathing problems which might be adding to our lightheadedness?
    [This Message was Edited on 10/25/2005]
  8. brie

brie New Member

WOW!!!!This article sounds like it should be explored more and taken very serious by our physicians. I have extreme muscle spasms that is caused by deprivations of O2 going to my muscle. It is so painful and they load me up on medication to stop the spasms. Since one of our general symtom is burning and pain in our muscles . It seems maybe this could be the cause and maybe we should be looking for ways to increase the O2 level going to our muscles .
  9. Joyce345

Joyce345 New Member

Thank you for taking the time to research Dr. Ali's information. I was amazed to read the article and can relate as this has affected my way of life. However, a "fibro canary"?? This is the first time I've heard that expression!

Like many of you, I am looking for an answer, a cure to fibro, and after reading some of the posts, we all seem to have the same symptoms. I also found the study extremely interesting that dancfngers wrote because I do feel that there is some bacteria that is causing a break down in our immune systems. This is just my opinion.

I did have Lyme's disease about 15 years ago and was on antibiotics for almost 6 months, I was tested and went into remission. When my body started to hurt from head to toe this past July, I thought, OH NO not Lymes!!! After being dx with Fibro, I asked my primary to run another Western Block Lymes test which came back negative. Another mystery!

Anxiety, stress, allergies, Diabetes II, sinus problems...you name it...all trigger my flare ups. I do know that deep breathing will help but when you're in so much pain, it's hard to concentrate on getting that needed oxygen into my body. There've been times, I want an oxygen tank! LOL Not going there yet:)) I'm seriously considering calling for a script for some antibiotics because I feel so much better. I do realize that one can build up an immunity to them, so I'm careful.

Sunflowergirl and all who posted here, THANK YOU because I don't feel alone. I don't post frequently because when I'm feeling well, I want to live a " normal" day.

Take care,
    Joyce
  10. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

Tx, SunflowerGirl for posting this info. I found it most interesting, and I think Dr. Majid Ali is definitely on the right track. I agree with most everything he says, but I think there are some other things that also enter into the mix.

The Canary association was something that caused me to stop and think, but I remember in the old days the miners used to use the Canary when they would go down in the mine.

When the Canary croaked, they knew there were toxic gases and it was time to skedaddle out of there. People with fibro and chronic fatigue are definitely more sensitive to things than other people are, and I think his Canary association is probably correct, a portent of things to come.

I thought it was interesting how he mentioned that his fibro canaries are kind of a look into the future, so to speak. The number of people being diagnosed with fibromyalgia is growing constantly. Yes, doctors are more aware of it than they were, say, ten years ago, but I do think his observations are correct, and he is at least on the right track.

His oxygen theory is not a new theory, it's been around for a while, but bottom line, I applaude any doctor who steps outside of the box, and just doesn't try to band-aid the problem with pain killers and antidepressants.

Sbilek