A new Melatonin article

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TXFMmom, May 8, 2006.

1. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I read an article out of Europe, which mentioned all the studies which have demonstrated that melatonin just didn't work.

In all of these cases, and in all cases which I have heard, people were taking the melatonin an hour or two before bed.

This study looked at the fluctuations of melatonin, and discovered that individuals with sleep problems have abnormally deep falls of melatonin during the day, and that meant that their melatonin levels had to increase precipitously for sleep, and the doses just before bed just didn't do what was needed.

Instead, they gave a small portion of the dosage of melatonin usually used at bedtime, but TOOK IT DURING THE MIDDAY.

They found that by doing this, a small dose did help, and nothing was needed at bedtime.

Their suggestion was that by preventing this precipitous fall during the day, then the problem with the normal cycling were stabilized and normal sleep could be re-established.

I have got to look through and try to find that article, as I meant to save it.

Did anyone else see this?
  2. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

No, I didnt see this. I have been taking Melatonin 3mg for about 6 weeks now. I dont think it has made any difference. I usually take it at 9pm, and I go to bed anywhere between 9pm and 11pm.

My Dr said to take it 2hrs before bedtime, always at the same time each day.

I'm thinking that maybe I should take it earlier.

Thanks for this
    Michelle