A new photo of my artwork in my profile

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 4everkid, Feb 24, 2008.

1. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Everyone has been in a picture posting mood this week. I don't really have a picture of myself to post (being the one behind the camera usually) so I decided to post another one of my drawings, for anyone who is interested in looking.

Some of you might remember the "Zebra in the Parlor" picture I posted a while back. Like it, this one is also colored pencil.

Quite a few years ago when my kids were young, I took them to the circus. While it was an enjoyable experience overall, I was saddened to see the big, majestic elephants reduced to a life in a cage on the road. Then, the only time they get to come out, they follow the same mundane routine, doing tricks for our amusement. What a sad life for an animal! I wished I could sneak back later and free them all!

So this idea of the sad circus elephant came from that experience. It really stuck with me through the years, so recently, I made this drawing.

2. kjade

kjade New Member

This picture is gorgeous!! Did you really draw that in pencil? You are so talented!!

The thought of the sad caged elephants brought a tear....You have done such a wonderful job of capturing their beauty!

Thanks for sharing - that is simply fabulous!
  3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Can you draw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm really impressed. What a talent you have.
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Great pic. You have a trunk full of talent. How long does it take you to do a picture; how big is it?

I remember your zebra scene. I thought it was surrealistic. Zebra in the parlor reminded me of Thurber's Unicorn in the Garden.

5. sisland

sisland New Member

Very Impressive! I love Elephants!,,,,Their Eyes are so Compelling! Like you say some of them have to live a life of Capture,,,So Sad!! you are a very talented artist! Thanks for sharing,,,,,,,,Sis
    [This Message was Edited on 02/24/2008]
  6. ckball

ckball New Member

People this lady IS a true artist. You have a wonderful talent lady, the colors are great and I can appreciate the colored pencil aspect. It takes a lot of work to do this with pencil.

BTW- I stole your Zebra a long time ago, sorry couldn't help myself. Great job-Carla
  7. boltchik

boltchik New Member

You drew this?!! It is absolutely amazing! The colors are so vibrant and the look in the elephant's eye is so telling. You are very talented. Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 02/24/2008]
  8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I've been looking forward to you posting another piece of your artwork for a long time.

I 'stole' the other photo and put it in my screen saver slide show a long time ago but lost it when the computer went down.

This one is just as amazing as the last!!!!!!!!!!!

You are a truly talented individual and what you do with the pencils is just amazing.

Thank you very much for posting this for us and I'll look forward to the next one again, whenever that may be.

9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Absolutely beautiful. You are quite talented!
  10. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Thank you to everyone for all the kind words and compliments!

Yes, kjade, it really is colored pencil. But the Prismacolor pencils have a very soft, almost waxy texture to them, and are burnished to a sheen. They tend to look more like a painting than a drawing.

Rockgor, this is about 14x18 inches - pretty small for me. It took about a week or two, part time. This one is much less detailed than usual for me. I usually work much larger and spend a month or two on each one. Color pencil involves lots and lots of layers and is very time consuming.

I am happy that some of you remembered my Zebra. And to the ones who stole it...I guess that is the greatest compliment of all.

Funny... a few weeks ago, my daughter called laughing. She had a party at her house and was showing everyone my drawings and sculpture that she has there. A little while later, all the stuff came up missing! She searched around and found that someone had loaded it all up in their car! She was both flabbergasted and amused. She got it all back of course, but no one would claim the car. It got left behind until the wee hours of the morning when she finally went to sleep.

We both had a good laugh over it. We decided that I must have officially arrived as an artist, now that I have had some works stolen.

Thanks again to everyone.
  11. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

You and your daughter are much nicer than I, 4Ever. I wouldn't be amused; I'd be outraged!

Seems a shame that party preparations should include hiring security guards.

I don't think I'd want to give any more parties.

12. springwater

springwater Active Member

you can see what a elephant in captivity feels like thru the eye of the one you drew....maybe if we all pray hard enough a time will come when senseless and cruel acts towards helpless beings will come to an end.

I once saw an episode on tv where an enraged circus elephant turned on its trainer and trampled him to death and ran beserk...I was horrified at the scene but even more heartbroken for the poor elephant, imagine how much anger and rage was in him, for him to finally break down like that...of course in the end, the authorities shot down the elephant (who had been earning money for its owners for so long.

Thank you for posting and for caring about animals.

God Bless

Meanwhile, thank you for your picture. You are so lucky to be able to draw like that.
  13. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I don't come to the chit-chat often, your post was one of the first I checked out. You are so talented. What a gift!

Fondly, June
  14. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

You are a natural!!!! Beautiful and unique artwork. Thanks for sharing.
  15. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

June, you should come by more often!

Rock - It probably helped that I was hearing the story after the fact, and knew up front that it ended well. I imagine my daughter went through a stage of outrage when she put everyone under house arrest while she searched their cars.

Springwater - While I was searching for elephant reference pictures online, I came across several stories like that. One in particular, about an elephant that broke out, attacked and killed its trainer, ended with him being hung to death from a crane. There was a picture of that - a horrible sight!! I was haunted by that photo, but it fueled my emotions while trying to capture the sadness of this poor creature.

The title of this piece is "Majestic" to remind viewers that a magnificent creature such as this should be respected and revered - not enslaved into a life of doing tricks for our entertainment.

Thanks again to everyone. I am touched by all the positive feedback.
  16. ckball

ckball New Member

What do you draw on as a medium? Do you use just the Prismacolor blender pencil or do you use minerial spirtits or other solvent?

I still need LOTS of practice to get the 3-D effect but love getting lost in it for hours, coloring, blending, like wax on wax off,lol- Please show more of your work!!

Yes, I would think you have arrived as a artist seening your work has now been "stolen". Maybe you should check out the Louve (sp) in Paris to who else has stolen your work. Great work-Carla

17. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

It is really different and colorful. Want to see my stick people (-: !! That is about the extent of my artistic ability ! Now you and Carla ck have alot to tlk about.

18. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Excuse me everyone, while I talk shop with Carla for a moment.

I use a board that is Stathmore Watercolor Paper, mounted on Crescent Board. It comes that way, in various thicknesses and textures. I love it! Its tough and sturdy.

I started using Prismacolor pencils in the mid 80's, long before they created the blender pencil. I never use solvents, spirits or blenders of any kind, just the pencils. Not that they are bad or anything....I just never knew you could use solvents until recently. And now, I am too firmly set in my method.

I blend the pencils entirely by layering and burnishing. Several layers of multiple colors, then a heavy layer of white. Another round of the colors, and another layer of white. The white acts as a blender and it changes the texture from sketchy to smooth and shiny. Once you get a white layer down, everything you add after that intensifies to a very rich color with a waxy sheen. It gets richer with each round, but there is a point where you can go too far. Once it gets glassy, you MUST stop.

Many CP artists use the pencils differently - lots of layering, but without burnishing with the white. This style is also very rich and beautiful. It's just a different texture that is more recognizable as pencil. It is all a matter of subject and style which method you use.

I have several other things I could share. I'll put up something different in a day or two.

I think it would be fun to set up an "Art Gallery" thread. There are a bunch of creative people here, including you! You have a lot of phenomenal work to show for yourself! It would be neat to have everyone show their work together in one thread.

19. ckball

ckball New Member

Thanks-I like to know what works for other people. I did the way you do with the white and the blender too. The white does work better when wanting to adjust the color.

I do use water color paper but have never used the board,haven't even seen one, all we have is a Hobby Lobby and a Micheal's.

I would like to see a thread where everyone shows their talents, I know there are many here that have lots of it.

Thanks for sharing-Carla
  20. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

That is just so amazing and wonderful and it made my day to see it. Keep doing more!

Hugzz~ GigglePoet