a new question to make you think

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sunflowergirl, Aug 30, 2013.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

When you think back on all the people who have come into your life, who seems to stand out the most and made an impression on you, making you a better person.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This might apply to many people, but my Mom helped shape me and my outlook on life. My children also helped me to grow and learn to love even more than I thought possible.

Love, Mikie
  3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Without a doubt, Jesus Christ.
  4. Darrae

Darrae Member

My little 4'11" tall Grandma Helen. My father's mother. She was able to find humor in most things in life, no matter how grim life could get. She was funloving, sweet natured, never had a bad word for anyone. She was always the first to try to make other people feel loved and worthwhile. I used to spend weeks and/or months with her and grandpa in the summertime. As long as they would have me.

Grandma made me feel like I was the most important person always. Knowing how shy I was, she could bring me out of my shell, and she taught me how to have fun. She taught me that life was for living not for "moping". My sibs say as I age I look more and more like her. I say "Good"! I can think of no one I'd rather look like. Of all the people I've lost in my life, I miss Grandma J. the most.

She taught me to recognize the calls of each bird we heard through the day and what bird each call belonged to. She taught me about flowers and which ones were wild and which were annuals or perennials and the names of each. She taught me how be gracious and warm and thoughtful of others. She taught me about trees and their seeds, butterfly species, so much about nature. She taught me to love myself and to be proud of who I was.

She had a wonderful eye for the beauty and wonders of God. She lived a very simple life in a little 3 room house the size of my garage, with a well out front with a pump for the best water ever, and an outhouse. It took so little to make her a happy person. Yes..............I miss her the most.

Dar
  5. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

I would have to say my first mother-in-law. We called her "Gin". I met her when I first started dating her son (later my husband)...I was 14. It was like she took me in out of the cold and wrapped me in a warm blanket. It's hard to write about her...I tend to choke up. Everyone loved her...not just me. When she died, everyone was devastated.

She was not only funny and fun, she was also gracious and cheerful. She taught me more about cooking then my own mother. She taught me about patience. She got me involved with genealogy (she's a descendant of Brigham Young...and, now, so is my son). Plus, I learned so much more from her, there aren't enough words. She was (and still is) the most organized person I've ever met (it's too bad that didn't rub off more :confused:). She taught me buying "good" clothes was far better than cheap.

I remember the first time I got Christmas gifts from her. I was floored...a lovely matching sweater and skirt. Never in my life had I had something that nice!! She was generous...to a fault at times, but a good $$ manager (that I did learn...thankfully).

Her son was an only child and she told me on more than one occasion how much she loved me...and she loved me as her true daughter. She continued to say this long after her son and I divorced plus he had remarried. His new wife hated my guts...fine...but it made visits to see Gin awkward. When I learned she was dying of throat cancer, I went to see her...my main purpose was to thank her for everything and to tell her how much I loved her!! I'm so glad I did...one thing I will never, ever regret.

I've had others in my life as well...mainly an aunt who raised me until I was 4. She was also a sweetheart and we were always close. And, in the last 10 years of his life, my Dad was my "best friend".

Difficult topic...I tend to be emotional about those I love and miss.

Windy