A Newbie with a Fibro-Fog Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dustie, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Dustie

Dustie New Member

Hello All! I've been lurking for a while but thought it time to say thank you for all the tips and information - and understanding - that this board gives. It's such a comfort to know you aren't all alone and to find a place to get encouragement to go on just one more day.

I've been diagnosed with FMS for almost a year but, like most, can look back and see it's manifestations all through my life. Had the bad doctor experiences but am fortunate to have found one that really understands and listens. But there is nothing like living with it to really understand so I am thankful for this board.

You have talked about Fibro-Fog a lot but not this specifically. We all know what stress can do to us...but what about the brain? Has anyone experienced what feels like a brain shut-down when a stressful situtation arises? It's like someone almost has to take me by the hand and lead me through life for a while...until the stress goes or I get my wits (ha ha) about me. If just one of you goes through this, it will make me feel tons better...cause it is really unnerving to be so helpless (or so it seems) in a stress situtation...and wonder later where my brain went.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement you give...even though you are hurting and worn out from it. It means a lot to us on the other side of the screen.

Dustie
  2. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Nice to meet you. Welcome to the best source of FM information.
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I have worked nothing but high stress jobs. I used to be able to deal with a crisis automatically, without taking the time to think. Now, if I am under severe stress, I have to force myself to back off and look at my situation while I attempt to come up with the right answer. It's really hard to get used to.
    Kathryn
  3. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I worked for 18 years in a very busy ER/Trauma Center and I split second decisions every day. Decisions that meant the difference between life and death sometimes. And I never had a problem with those decisions, in fact, I thrived on them. Now there are times, especially stressful situations, when I can't seem to make any decision, right or wrong. It scares me, but so far I haven't found anything to help.

Welcome to the board.
    Annette
  4. Dustie

Dustie New Member

so much for letting me know I'm not losing what little I seem to have left. Seems that's the way of it with this FM stuff - until you hear someone else is experiencing the symptoms, you think it's just you that is crazy (oops!)

Thanks again for the help and the welcome...nice to have a place to go to.

Dustie
    [This Message was Edited on 02/26/2003]
  5. lmn

lmn New Member

The brain fog surely does stink. It used to be really bad. Once, I was trying to order a drink at Dunkin Donuts and stood there like an idiot, because I couldn't remember the name of what I wanted (it was iced coffee). The girl at the counter, as well as my husband, looked at me like I was a loon. Good thing I've learned to laugh it off.

Personally, I have found that malic acid and magnesium, along with a really good multi vitamin have helped tremendously. My brain fog occurs rarely, and isn't that bad when it happens. Maybe it will help you, too!

Best of luck,
    lmn
  6. KathiM

KathiM New Member

Will tell you a story that happened to me this week.......

I was getting short on one of my prescriptions so I called pharmacy and they told me it would be ready by the end of the day......well one week later I told my husband franticlly I am totally out of my pills ...we HAVE to go to pharmacy and pick them up this morning. We went, we stood in line, we waited, when my turn the attendent went looking for the pills and kept looking.... finally he went into the computer and said it shows they were picked up on the 17th. I never knew I had gotten them or I should say..I didnt remember !!!!
    We have had a couple chuckles about it.....what else can one do ?????/

We must hang in

Kathi
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Dustie, welcome to our world. Have no fear, I have the same reaction to 'bad news' as you described. My mind and body just 'shut down', I can't even get out of the bed sometimes, my mind is like a mushroom, and my body feels like jello. I am completely disabled for a while.

Before the Fibro hit me, I could handle any crisis, in fact everyone called 'me' when something came up in the family! Now they come to take care of me when I am 'told' what happened, if at all possible, they avoid telling me anything I don't need to know.

It can take weeks for me to be able to function normally again after a stressful situation. But I do bounce back.

I have had Fibro for 20 years plus, so there is no danger that you will lose your mind, I am still here and function as usual. Strange illness we have, to say the least.

Again, welcome to the board, and glad we have been of some help to you, and hope you join us often.

Shalom, Shirl
  8. evileva

evileva New Member

I know how you feel too. I used to be an Assistant Manager over 2nd shift operations, I had 45 associates and 3 supervisors who I was in charge of. Now I'm lucky to just be in charge of myself! LOL Now when things get stressful my mind just goes blank! This sure is a strange illness that we all have. Hang in there kiddo.
    Eva