A Newbie

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jrsinc, Sep 20, 2003.

1. jrsinc

jrsinc New Member

I was diagnosed with FM at Mayo last July. I had gone to find out the cause of pain resulting from lung surgery I had in 12/2001. They didn't find out what's sliding out from under my rib cage, but after reading up on FM, I understand why so many other things are happening to my body...

I'm fighting cancer and the FM "surfaced" after my lung surgery. I realize now I've had it for ages. Have had IBS all my life; had mono at age 8.

As the result of over-radiation for my lung cancer, I'm losing my right breast next Thursday. I'm not concerned about the surgical pain (& I was never a Playboy centerfold); I'm concerned on how the FM is going to react to more surgery. Has anyone had major surgery and how did your FM react - what did you do????

Any input will be appreciated. :)
  2. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi jrsinc,
    Im so sorry to hear about your problems.
    Welcome to a fantastic site it"s soo good to hear from you.
    It"s sood to know I have yet another very welcome member of my fibro family.
    I havent any advice about major surgery just wanted to welcome you to the site.
    Hugs sharon d
  3. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Welcome aboard. Sorry to hear of your impending surgery. I'm in pain most of the time but haven't noticed exaggerated post-surgery pain. Sometimes I think being "put to sleep" helps or it may be the oxygen that helps me feel a little better generally. Fortunately after surgery noone expects you to "do" alot so you get more rest which also helps. I'll be thinking about you, hope you come through this easily.
  4. achy

achy New Member

Bless your heart...you sure have your helping of crud to deal with!! Thank Goodness i haven't had any surgery..yet, so I can't help ya either. I can suggest you talk to your doc and the anestesiologist (darn spelling fog)...about the fibro..they can advise ya as to what to expect and what meds can help.

Welcome to the Fmily...hope all goes well for ya

Warm fuzzies..and a prayer or two,
    Achy
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi, welcome to the board. I am so sorry to hear all that you have been through, and are still facing. YOu sound like a very strong lady.

I cannot help with the surgery question, hopefully others will be able to relate to your situation.

Will be glad to keep you in my prayers, and am also sending good thoughts your way too.

Please keep us update on how you are doing when you can.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. hope-floats

hope-floats New Member

but I didn't notice an increase in pain or any of the typical symptoms.

Best wishes to you with your surgery. Stay strong, and line up some dependable help for your recovery. I think it will be important that you do not overdo.

My prayers and thoughts are with you. When you are feeling up to it, let us know how you are doing.
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

I've had this Fibro for 11 yrs and have had a few abdominal surgerys~ For me...I just needed way more recovery time than the drs. say. For instance if they say"you'll be on your feet in 2-3 weeks".... . . Figure
    more like 4-5 weeks.(or a bit more)
    Wishing you the best of luck....and I'll be sending healing vibes your way!! sorry your going thru so much :(
    Please post and let us know how your doing.Hang in there...Warm thoughts going up~ Hugs :)
  8. jrsinc

jrsinc New Member

Thanks so much for the "heads up" on recovery time. It's good info. Hope your surgery went well - no surgery is fun.

Warm fuzzies.......
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

Is your surgery this Thursday or next?? Just curious...
    I'd like to know so I can say a prayer for you that morning~(I know.....what a goof!! hey,it works for me!)lol
    Hope your doing ok...and hangin tough :)
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For all you have been through. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Please update us on your condition as we do care.

Best of luck and welcome to our board. I'm glad you found us.

Love, Mikie
  11. jrsinc

jrsinc New Member

Yep, this Thursday is the big day. Special Request: Please pray that the cancer is not in my lumph nodes. I already have scar tissue in that area and sure don't want more.

Thanks for all prayers......