A nurse made me open my eyes today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jofla, Sep 16, 2003.

1. jofla

jofla New Member

Talked to nurse through my ins. co. today to get advice on how to deal with all the pain i have been in lately. Told her I have bulging neck disc, fm and rheumatoid. She told me that I really need to look at my limitations and what the risks are if i continue to work as I have been. Neck pain was awful today and my legs were weak I thought I was going to land flat on my face. She told me to get with my rheumy, neurologist, pcp and chiropractor to find out what i should be doing or not doing. The word disability keeps popping into my head. It makes me feel like I'M giving up tho but I don't know what else to do. I really hate feeling like this. I never call in sick to work no matter how I feel, so this is so hard for me. I'm sorry don't like to complain, but need some options or suggestions from the wonderful people who have been there.

Thank you

Jo
  2. ja1grump

ja1grump New Member

I know it's hard to consider yourself disabled, and it's hard to think about going on disability - but think of all the people that get help and they don't need it! I know people that do that and it makes me sooo mad. It makes it harder for those of us that do need it.
    Keep your chin up!
    Julie
  3. 2aycocks

2aycocks New Member

I have been on temporary disability for a year now. I'm applying for my teacher retirement disability. Think about this.....what if you keep pushing past the point that you need to and you make everything worse?! Wouldn't that be special? Take care of your body first, because if it totally breaks down, you have nothing. Disability is for those of us who really need it. Big hugs to you.
  4. carole128

carole128 New Member

Hi Jo
    Sorry to hear that you have so much pain. You must be super woman to get yourself to work when you feel 70% DEAD! I can suggest something that you can do to test the reaction of your fellow workers! Take a few days off sick and see if they can cope without you. If you were a 100% DEAD they would have to cope!
    My husband Peter worked himself to a complete nervous breakdown because he would not take time off work. When he first started to suffer anxiety attacks and get forgetful I begged him to go off sick. Because he wasn't thinking right he made wrong choices and became more anxious. He got so bad he had to spend 8 days in a psychiatric unit. That was 2 years ago and he is a lot better but can only work part-time.
    You are the most important person in your life, nurture yourself and even super woman deserves a day off!
    Enjoy your day off. Carole
  5. reva727

reva727 New Member

With all your problems, I say go for it. I did. I have Fibro and then when I hurt my back, I knew I was going to be off work for awhile and that I couldn't afford not to have a paycheck so I applied and was approved. I've never regretted it once. I had already gotten a letter saying I was taking too much sick leave and would have to get a doctors slip everytime I missed even an hour so when I had a chance, I took it.
  6. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul New Member

I think this nurse is seeing the whole picture. You are just too close to notice. You are seeing a tree but not the forest. My arms were injured almost 10 years ago. For two years I was in different treatments and finally had surgery. Then for eight years I pushed myself to try to work like I had and try to keep up my prior life style. FM creeped into my life during this time and slowly cut me down. Still I pushed, while working in a very stressful job, my body said enough. I had a stroke at 48, no high blood pressure, no high cholestrol, I did not party (maybe I should have, LOL). I had no reason to have a stroke other than the fact that I was pushing to do too much. Finally, I decided to listen to my doctor's orders and to my body. I no longer work outside the home. I have decided I should concentrate on me and my family. Once I got my mind into this line of thinking, I have been better. I focus on managing this FM (have it under control, Thank God for Questran) and my family and home. I do miss working outside the home. But I could not do a decent job at work or at home while doing both.
  7. jofla

jofla New Member

No I don't consider myself to be a super woman, just a perfectionist when it comes to working and taking care of my family. Take care of everybody else, than its time for me. So now I think that it is time to take care of me. I don't know how to go about doing it tho. I don't want to make myself sicker thats for sure. somehow we will allget through this dd and all the stuff that we all seem to have. It can't be one thing its got to be alot of everything else. Arent we the lucky ones?
    Take care all

Jo