A pain med question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Jan 30, 2009.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi guys~
    wondering if I could get some help here on a new med I was given temperarily.
    (no refills)
    Its vicodin es.
    I'm use to taking lortab 5 mgs.
    Whats the difference? is one stronger than the other?

kinda stinks tho cause I got the new script for a toothache/infection,..and when I went to the darn pharmacy to fill it,..they would'nt fill it because I already have lortab 5's.
    they told me I have to wait till my refill is ready.(2-10)
    I don't understand. ???
  2. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

I clrearly see no reason not to fill the new medication , it s for totally different problem. I would call your dr. right away and let him know thats pharmacy is withholding the medication he ordered for you to start taking right away to help with the pain and toothache and they arent any fun and should be treaty quiclky before they become abbcessed.Put your foot down and demand the mediction that your Dr. has already oked for your tooth/infection. Sory you are in some addditional pain now, God Bless and hope you get your meds soon and will be feeling much better. God bless
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

My husband and I have run into this several times. When on these kind've of narcotics, the Dr. has to specifically let the pharmacy know to release them immediately, or they will hold one until the other has run out.

Vicodin ES contains acetominaphen as well as hydrocodone. It may also be an extended release type as well. They are likely holding it because Lortab is pretty much similar to Vicodin.

You will need to get your Dr. to phone the pharmacy to authorize them to release it.

Hope that works....

4. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Lortab 5 has 5 mg hydrocodone. Vicodin ES should have a strength listed either hydrocodone by itself or a combo hydro/acetominophen. There are many different names for basically the same med, just depends on how much hydrocodone is in it. I take Norco 10/325 which is 10mg hydro/325 aceto.

I have had problems getting prescriptions filled like you are having. It's the insurance co that puts a hold on filling too soon in my case. Even tho I had a new rx written, they still wouldn't fill until 30 days was up on my meds I already had. Such a hassle, I guess I could have called to have Dr OK it, but I didn't bother.

Some pharmacies are also stricter than others. I stopped going to Rite Aid w my Norco rx cuz the pharmacist kept lecturing me on the dangers of taking narcotics. I didn't appreciate him treating me like a drug addict when all I wanted was pain relief!

Hope your toothache gets better, those are the worst! Take care...H
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

It stinks simply because after I looked it up on the computer,...I'm thinking the new script might be a bit stronger han the lortab 5's I already have.
    I'll wait it out just because its too much of a hassle to me to call and make a fuss.
    Yes,..hermitlady,.. its rite-aid.
    One other time Rite aid gave a script of mine to my sister that was filling a script there.(same last name) yea,.. my sister called me up and asked me if these pills she picked up were meant for me cause she said she did'nt even have a script for fioricet.
    !!! I'm so close to ditching that pharmacy!
    thanks again
  6. SCAP

SCAP New Member

I also had the same problem with rite -aid,,,,,,,,,,,I no longer deal with them,,,,,,,,,,,the pharmacy tech,,,,,,,,,,treated me like a street junkie,,,,,,,,,,,,,,soo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I said to hell with all parms,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now im in pain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks rite aid,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they also violated my privacy by discussing the fact that ,,, they thought i was atking too much vicodin,,,and that i was killing my liver,,,,,,ect,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,which caused the person ,,,to come home to me and express concern that maybe I had a drug problem,,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks rite aid,,,,,,,,,,,,so thats why i quit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so now,,,i have a pain problem,,,,,,,,,,,,,always did,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no drug problem,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's really ridculos that we have to suffer,,,explain,,,,ect'

PITATOO Member

It is not the vicodin that's the hardest on the liver it's the acetaminophen. They probably won't fill it because it is basically the same drug. If your 2nd script is stronger and you need it have the Dr. call the pharmacy. There are many forms and strengths of vicodin. This does not give them the right to act like they do.
  8. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

taking Motrin. I had an abcess tooth and my dr. said to take the Motrin along with the hydrocodone. For some reason Motrin really helped with the pain. I was taking Ibuprofen which didn't work and I also tried Naproxen which didn't work and nor did Aleve.

I'm not sure why the Motrin was the only thing that worked but give it a try -- just buy a small bottle and use the brand name, not the generic. Any reason I can't explain but it worked for me.

PS: Sorry about your crummy drug store. Here in WI we don't have Rite-Aid but I use Walgreens and the staff is awesome. Maybe things are a bit more expensive but it sure is worth the mistakes my dr. made in prescription errors with interractions with other drugs. My pharmacist is great, he will take all the time you need and like I said he caught 2 different life threatening interactions with scripts from my dr.
  9. aliciamariah

aliciamariah New Member

Hope this helps you understand the Vicodin/Lortab issue. Vicodin and Lortab are the same medication just with a different name brand. If you already have one of them and then try to fill a script for the other one the pharmacy will not fill it because of it being the same med. The actual ingredient is Hydrocodone and some docs prescribe that. Drug companies sell hydrocodone with the name brand Lortab or Vicodin. I am familiar with this because of being a Registered Nurse.
  10. aliciamariah

aliciamariah New Member

The reason the pharmacy will not give you both is because once again they are the same med. If it is a different strength then they will fill which one you want but not both. If they were to give you both Lortab/vicodin and you take one for a tooth ache and one for something else you are overdosing your body with acetaminophen. The liver can only handle 4000mg of tylenol a day and if both are being taking then the amount is double and the risk of liver failure is to high. When to much hydrocodone is taken you can stop breathing. Sooo if you have vicodin for 1 problem and Lortab for another you only need one of them because it will help the pain no matter where you have it even if it is 2 different areas. then when you finish up that script the other one can be filled. If your pain med is not helping that much you can call your doctor and request a different type of pain medication without hydrocodone and tylenol. this is called break through pain control. I work on a post surgical unit so I deal with pain control issues all day long. Hopefully this helps you understand pain medication
    sincerely RN
  11. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Vicodin has acetaminophen in it.
  12. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Most (not all) of the commonly used pain meds have either acetominaphin in combination with something else, or they are NSAIDS (like ibuprofen, aspirin, etc). In either case, it is not advisable to double up similar meds. It IS generally ok to take one with acetominaphin and one type of NSAID at the same time. It is NOT ok to take two meds with acetominaphin or two NSAIDS (even if they are different NSAIDS). This is due to all sorts of possible problems with the liver, the stomach, and the heart, among other issues. Also, some of the "big guns" can depress the respiratory system and other systems if taken in too larger quantities....so even if the acetominaphin and/or NSAIDs aren't going to be enough to cause problems, some of the other main substances should not be doubled up on or combined either.
  13. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I believe, not sure that vicodin ES is 7.5 mgs isn't it - or what does your script say? A call to your regular Dr. could get it filled IF it is a stronger med than what you're taking.(then you'd just take the stronger and not the other) IF it's the same med/dose they won't fill no matter what. They also don't like to fill when it comes from different doctors- that's why approval from your regular Dr. would probably help. Also your ins. should cover if it's a stronger dose as long as pharmacy will fill.

I've had to have my dose upped in the middle of the month and have no problem with ins. or filling.

Some pharmacies are very strict. There is one pharmaCIST at my pharmacy who is just mean.

14. tandy

tandy New Member

Wow thanks everyone!!! I appreciate all your help.
    sorry for the delayed reply I have'nt been on here all day

I believe the new one is stronger but at this point I don't even care. I'll wait till the darn 10th and at least know I have something on hand for those really bad pain days~
    which might be soon since I'm having oral surgery tomorrow,.