a PAP can save your life!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shell, Dec 11, 2002.

1. shell

shell New Member

I can pretty much say that a PAP can save your life - so if you have not gone to get your yearly done - do it now!!!!! My biopsy came back with moderate pre-cancerous changes. I will have an office procedure done to take care of it before it turns to cancer. Cervical cancer is the second most common cancer in women and can ONLY be detected by a PAP. Once you have symptoms it is too late. So please ladies, get your pap and do it by an actual gynocologist not a nurse practitioner. I was told that a gynocologist is trained to look for certain changes such as blood vessel and tissue patterns. I guess I was more upset by this because my grandmother died of cervical cancer at age 43. My fibro symptoms had me thinking I was in advanced stages. I have also learned that a huge percentage (up to 80%) of the population carries the HPV virus and that the strains that do not manifest visibally (ie you don't know that they are there) are the ones that cause havoc on your cervix and eventually turn into cancer. Also, the most common age to be diagnosed with cervical cancer is now ages 25 - 35. Be safe ladies!!! Thank you for your prayers and support!!!
  2. shell

shell New Member

I can pretty much say that a PAP can save your life - so if you have not gone to get your yearly done - do it now!!!!! My biopsy came back with moderate pre-cancerous changes. I will have an office procedure done to take care of it before it turns to cancer. Cervical cancer is the second most common cancer in women and can ONLY be detected by a PAP. Once you have symptoms it is too late. So please ladies, get your pap and do it by an actual gynocologist not a nurse practitioner. I was told that a gynocologist is trained to look for certain changes such as blood vessel and tissue patterns. I guess I was more upset by this because my grandmother died of cervical cancer at age 43. My fibro symptoms had me thinking I was in advanced stages. I have also learned that a huge percentage (up to 80%) of the population carries the HPV virus and that the strains that do not manifest visibally (ie you don't know that they are there) are the ones that cause havoc on your cervix and eventually turn into cancer. Also, the most common age to be diagnosed with cervical cancer is now ages 25 - 35. Be safe ladies!!! Thank you for your prayers and support!!!
  3. skitz

skitz New Member

I just read your 2 messages back to back and am so glad to hear your news. I had a pre-cancer diagnosis with my first PAP 20 years ago...it threw me for a loop! My first GYN visit and what an experince! I had many biopsies that first visit, along with cryo-surgery and a cone biopsy soon following. Alot has changed since then, for the better, but even then none of these procedures were painful, and together the treatment has worked...I get a PAP every year and so far all has been well. I just went again yesterday, so I hope I can still say this in a week or so!
    I don't know how old you are or what procedures you will have, but a small word of caution if you plan to have children in the future...women who have cone biopsies ar at greater risk for an incompetent cervix, meaning your cervix can dialate prematurely. If you are aware of this in advance, your cervix can be sutured so there is much less chance of a lost pregnancy. This can only be done up to 20 weeks.
    Tho I didn't have the surgery in time, I did carry my son 37 weeks, but had to stay on bed rest for 17 weeks prior to delivery and have steroid injections to develop his lungs more quickly.

My prayers are with you...
    God Bless,
    Sharon
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...to hear it's not more serious. Thank goodness you were proactive about this & can treat it before it gets worse! I'm so glad you found this out...my Mom has breast cancer & I get my pap & mammogram every year like clockwork. We can't be too careful!

I'm happy for you!

Hugs,
    Pam