A Pear Flare???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suze, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Suze

Suze New Member

I found myself in a bad flare last month, barely able to make it from chair to bed. At first I blamed too many activities the week before, plus the tomatoes I rashly ate in a restaurant salad. (Like many of us, I should avoid the nightshades.) But that week the severity of the flare went on and on, well past the point where I would have expected it to subside, at least somewhat.

I looked online for anti-inflammatory food suggestions, thinking perhaps there was something I could eat to counteract the high level of inflammation. In an article on potato allergy (which I have) and the role of the nightshade family, I read that a couple of other foods cause similar reactions in sensitive individuals. One of them is pears.

PEARS??? I love pears. And it just so happens that I'd been eating them for days. When my son and his fiancee left for a road trip I was left with a bowl of rapidly ripening pears. So I ate them. And I flared.

The other food they mentioned was cherries. That struck me as odd because cherry juice is often recommended for pain.

Anyway, I thought this bit of information might be useful for some.

Suze
  2. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

I like pears... geez, just another thing. I am confused on the "nightshade" thing - what does that mean - never heard of it.
    Do you feel any better? Hope so.
    Hugs:)
    Kim
  3. Suze

Suze New Member

Kim, the nightshade family traditionally consists of tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, and eggplant. They cause problems for a lot of people, usually involving inflammation.

Yes, I'm feeling better, thanks. Not great, but definitely better.

Suze