A Pear Flare???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suze, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Suze

Suze New Member

I found myself in a bad flare last month, barely able to make it from chair to bed. At first I blamed too many activities the week before, plus the tomatoes I rashly ate in a restaurant salad. (Like many of us, I should avoid the nightshades.) But that week the severity of the flare went on and on, well past the point where I would have expected it to subside, at least somewhat.

I looked online for anti-inflammatory food suggestions, thinking perhaps there was something I could eat to counteract the high level of inflammation. In an article on potato allergy (which I have) and the role of the nightshade family, I read that a couple of other foods cause similar reactions in sensitive individuals. One of them is pears.

PEARS??? I love pears. And it just so happens that I'd been eating them for days. When my son and his fiancee left for a road trip I was left with a bowl of rapidly ripening pears. So I ate them. And I flared.

The other food they mentioned was cherries. That struck me as odd because cherry juice is often recommended for pain.

Anyway, I thought this bit of information might be useful for some.

2. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

I like pears... geez, just another thing. I am confused on the "nightshade" thing - what does that mean - never heard of it.
    Do you feel any better? Hope so.
  3. Suze

Suze New Member

Kim, the nightshade family traditionally consists of tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, and eggplant. They cause problems for a lot of people, usually involving inflammation.

Yes, I'm feeling better, thanks. Not great, but definitely better.

[ advertisement ]