A physician that will prescribe methadone for pain management????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by clarksbaby22, May 15, 2003.

1. clarksbaby22

clarksbaby22 New Member

Hello to all! I am new to the site but I have a question. I was referred to a methadone clinic for a back injury recently because all the "normal" pain medications were not working for me. I have since been diagnosed with fibromyalgia (I think). One doctor tells me one thing and another one tells me another. But anyway, this clinic treats me like a drug addict and not someone there for pain management. They make me sign requests to increase my methadone for pain in such a way that I look like I am a drug addict. I have to write I am having severe cravings for pain medications to be able to get an increase in my dosage. In truth, I am having severe pain that the current dosage isn't helping and I need an increase. I have been looking everywhere for a doctor that will just prescribe the medication for me by the month like any other pain medication because I have to drive 55 miles round trip DAILY to receive my medication. This certainly doesn't help me with my pain! I have even called pain clinics etc and I have not found anyone that deals with the prescribing of methadone. I know there are doctors out there that do this but I don't have a clue how to find out which one does? If anyone in the Missouri area, has any information about doctors that prescribe this medication, will you please let me know? I wouldn't care how far I had to travel if they would only allow me to be a patient for pain management and I could be treated like a patient in pain instead of a drug abuser. It's hard enough dealing with my pain and the new diagnosis of having Fibro much less having them make me sign things stating that I am craving drugs! Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Sorry I can't help with a doctor, but just wanted to welcome you. Sure hope you find a decent doctor soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is that since signing these papers, you will be branded an addict. This clinic is obviously set up for abusers and not for pain management. I would find another source ASAP.

Love, Mikie
  4. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

If you are in it certainly diff. than people who take meds for recreation. I would tell them you were there for pain management and felt pressured to sign. Ask for where ever you signed to get those papers and add "I am her for pain management only,above statements do not apply. Or something to that effect. My girl friend has a pain management doc who gives her meth. with percocet for breakthrough, she is now able to get around without a wheelchair. She could barely walk before. She plays with her grandkids etc. things she could not do before. Not easy but you need to find a doc. to help you. Good Luck!
  5. OuchyMama

OuchyMama New Member

Are you taking liquid or pill form of methadone? I take the pill form and my Dr. simply wrote me a prescription I feel at my pharmacy.
  6. clarksbaby22

clarksbaby22 New Member

Thank you all for your helpful words of wisdom and insight to my question. I am trying to remember a few things from each post but if I forget, please forgive me. First of all, I am on a pill form of methadone. I have called every doctor, pain clinic and arthritis place in Central Missouri the past few days.......no luck. I have decided to look beyond my 30 mile radius and try St. Louis and Kansas City. As for signing the papers stating I am having severe cravings for pain medications, I don't know how I am going to get out from underneath that mess. I have told the workman's comp representative about what the clinic is making me do and I have told her that I need to find another place to go because I am getting treated like an addict when I am only there for pain management. She told me to do what I could to find somewhere else to go. So basically, I am all alone in all this mess and I am so tired and so frustrated. I lost my job recently and so I am not only depressed and broke, but I am hurting daily and wondering when I will be able to get the money to pay for all this therapy. I appreciate all your support once again and I hope that I can be of help to someone one day from my own experiences. Thanks.
  7. horsegal

horsegal New Member

I too live in central MO. It's hard. I went to a pain clinic in NK.C. The pain doc there said absolutely no narcotic for fibro. She gave me trileptal, which has helped, but not enough. I finally found a GP who listened and is willing to help. If I find an answer for those of us in the middle of MO, I'll high tail it to the board and let you in on it.
  8. clarksbaby22

clarksbaby22 New Member

I too will let you know if I find anyone that will help us. I am going to hit it hard again on Thursday by calling around and writing etc. I will post it when I find someone or somewhere out there for us. Thanks again for letting me know about your situation. Hang in there!
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

To the clinic stating your situation and demand that it be included in your records.

Love, Mikie
  10. PAT

PAT New Member

I am adding a note here to tell you that I wrote a post directly to you. I have tried bumping it. Will do it again.
    Patti G
  11. AC77

AC77 New Member

If you absolutly need this methadone for pain relief and have to go to this clinic. I would make a notation if thier is space, or if not next to the signature line, that you are here for pain relief and not an addict. I dont know if that will get you kicked out of the program! Ask ahead. but you might want to keep a record of this and send a letter to the clinic for the file stating you are there for pain relief and not an addict..see if your M.D. will sign it also. Send it return receipt mail
  12. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

So sorry about all your pain and that is SO ridiculous you have to drive EVERY day to get your meds. Sorry, I can't help you though, because I cannot even find a doctor who will prescribe me ANY kind of pain meds (not even non-narcotic like ultram..) I always get "take tylenol or ibuprofen". Of course that doesn't help... If anyone knows of any Drs. near Columbia, SC (or ANYwhere in SC really) that may actually prescribe pain meds to a 25-year-old, please let me know. I'm tired of drs. telling me I'm too young to have pain meds (just turned 25) or will become addicted. And I'm real tired off being in pain everyday...
    Thanks!