A potential controversal question (s) ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BILLCAMO, Dec 3, 2010.

1. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

You tell me......

For 2010 there were no "pay" raises (cost of living[COL]) for ssa and ssd recipients......It appeared to me that the "figures" were adjusted for , a week or two , ........just to "say" that....

This year I've heard that our government couldn't "afford" to give a COL raise.....

Among many other things...... What ever became of the trillions of $,,,,,,,,,,,,, our "government " borrowed from the ssa fund ? That "they" promised to pay back.....with interest....

Maybe just a vent for myself , and others , that wonder , about this & other things.......I know my costs have gone up..... As most of yours did......

(Yes , I DID vote , & will continue to do so.....).

So , I hope that most of you will continue to vote !!!!!!

Blessings ,

b/c
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

First of all, I don't know what goes into the formulary soup the govt. uses to figure the COLA for SS. Every time I go to the grocery store, things have gone up. My car ins. just went up $100 a year. The cost of obtaining all licenses in FL increased because, like most other states, we are in debt. Costs of nonessentials continue to rise as well.

At least, govt. employees have a two-year wage freeze. I doubt congress will have the cajones to give themselves raises this year. I am a fiscal conservative and an Independent. I believe we will all have to make some sacrifices to bring our debt under control. With so many out of work and on unemployment, though, I think it will be difficult for a year or two. I'm willing to forego an SS COLA this year but there are a lot of people who cannot get by without it. My heart is breaking for all the people who are suffering so greatly in this depression.

I believe in a compromise to the tax-break issue. Why not extend tax breaks to everyone making less than one million dollars a year. I do not believe that many millionaires are producing jobs in this country but if they are, they should get tax breaks for the jobs they produce in accordance with their incomes. That's an incentive to produce jobs and not just give tax breaks to the wealthy on the backs of the poor and middle class.

Like I said, I'll do my part and give up the COLA to help reduce debt and secure the SS Trust but please don't tell me that there is no increase in our cost of living.

Love, Mikie
  3. jole

jole Member

Oh, I so agree with Mikie with the big businesses...produce jobs here or pay taxes. And if you can afford more than one home, you certainly can afford taxes. Which includes all of our Washington elected officials! Our SS money was squandered and I for one am tired of hearing it was not 'ours'. Just another case of bad redistribution.

Heck, if COL for us has not gone up, why has our insurance through Medicare risen? We get no raise but more is taken out. Is that not considered a COL increase? Or secondary ins. for those fortunate enough to have it? Bill, I'm with you, unfortunately everything has gone up, especially the price of our gov. officials...lol.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever see another COL increase...just my opinion though. The elderly are not a concern any more.......getting out of debt for the following generations is. Government forgets that we were the working generation, and they wouldn't have had the money to squander if we hadn't worked to make it.

But I too feel fortunate to still have a roof over my head and food on my table (even if it's the off-brand). And I have grandchildren that I want to have a chance in life, if that's at all possible. I think it really is shameful of our country to not take care of our elderly, but see it falling back onto family. I do not want to be a burden to my kids. Wish we could do private housing that was cheap alternatives. ......Jole
  4. jole

jole Member

Oh, I so agree with Mikie with the big businesses...produce jobs here or pay taxes. And if you can afford more than one home, you certainly can afford taxes. Which includes all of our Washington elected officials! Our SS money was squandered and I for one am tired of hearing it was not 'ours'. Just another case of bad redistribution.

Heck, if COL for us has not gone up, why has our insurance through Medicare risen? We get no raise but more is taken out. Is that not considered a COL increase? Or secondary ins. for those fortunate enough to have it? Bill, I'm with you, unfortunately everything has gone up, especially the price of our gov. officials...lol.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever see another COL increase...just my opinion though. The elderly are not a concern any more.......getting out of debt for the following generations is. Government forgets that we were the working generation, and they wouldn't have had the money to squander if we hadn't worked to make it.

But I too feel fortunate to still have a roof over my head and food on my table (even if it's the off-brand). And I have grandchildren that I want to have a chance in life, if that's at all possible. I think it really is shameful of our country to not take care of our elderly, but see it falling back onto family. I do not want to be a burden to my kids. Wish we could do private housing that was cheap alternatives. ......Jole
  5. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Hi! Just replying to say hi!

& yes, we have it much harder economically nowadays. Its become a norm, unfortunately. I wish someone would increase wages as the cost of living is way too much.

Love,
    Fight ;)