A Private Affair

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by goldenrule, May 11, 2006.

1. goldenrule

goldenrule New Member

Private Affair

Do you ever feel like you are just lost at what to say to God? Maybe you feel like you have to pray a certain way; or perhaps you pull out a laundry list. Maybe you grew up with prayers on holidays only; Maybe you grew up with prayers on Sunday or at family gatherings; Maybe you grew up with no prayers.

God doesn’t care if we have flowery words, or speak in bad grammar. Like a good friend, he just wants to talk. Like a good father, he wants to listen. As children, we may not always understand why or how or what his answers are. If you are a parent, you understand that you often do things your children don’t understand or get upset about it, but still you do it it for their own good.

I have read a lot online lately about prayer, God, answers, etc… I was very blessed growing up to have a wonderful youth leader that sat down and taught us how God wants us to pray and what to say. What do we say? Everything and sometimes nothing… Many times I have no words for the things that I want to say to God. I just say, “God please hear the prayers of my heart. You know them better than I.” God wants a relationship with us. He wants to know us and us to know him.

If you turn in your Bible to Matthew Chapter 6, Verses 9-13, you see a passage that many Christians and non-Christians are so familiar with. It is the sample of how we should pray. This is what my leader taught me:

“Our father In Heaven hallowed be your name."

This first line shows how we should approach God.. with refeverence and praise. We should tell him how much we love him and how much he means to us in our words.

"Your Kingdom Come, your will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven"

Heaven is a real place and God is coming back. We should be praying for his return on Earth and that he will help us do his will. Again, this is a sample prayer, like modernday templates in word processing programs. It is just a model for people who don’t know how to prayer or what to say. God wants you to do his will and ask for his help. He wants you to be a part of his Kingdom.. a Kingdom that will one day return to Earth.

"Give us this day our daily bread"

This verse talks about our needs. This is talking to God about our burdens and troubles. He is there for us and wants us leave our burdens with him.

"Forgive us our debts as we also forgive our debtors"

Here the writer models that we should confess our sins and repent. He also reminds us that as God forgive’s us, we should forgive others. What wrong doing could someone possibly do to us, that God has not already forgive man for with the death of his son?

"And lead us not into temptations, but deliver us from the evil one"

Last, he reminds us to pray for God’s Holy Spirit and to protect us from the plan’s of the Devil. Many times I pray that God will surrond our family with his angels and guard us from any Demons wanting to infultrate our Christian home. I can’t tell you how many times I have had friends tell me that the stronger Chriistian or the more tasks they take on from God, is when the Devil brings on more. If you are sinning or doing things that the Devil knows are right, he is not concerned about you. It is when you start living for the Lord and “cutting in on his business” so to say, that he gets upset. Personally, I think this is one of the most important part of my prayer life. For if God is with us, who can be against us?

So if you follow this five basic steps in your prayer life: 1. Praise (v. 9-10), 2. Requests (v.11), 3. Repentance (v12), 4. Strength and Protection (v. 13); and 5. Honest, sincere plain talk; then perhaps you prayer life will strengthen and you will find it is not all about you and what have you done for me lately, but rather a personal relationship with your savior.

2. caffey

caffey New Member

Thank you so much for bringing me back to simplicity. Why do we always have to complicate things.
    Blessings on you.
    Cath