A puzzle: what do these 7 words have in common?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, May 5, 2008.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

banana, dresser, grammar, potato, assess, revise, uneven

My dad sent me this this morning. Haven't figured it out yet.

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

They each contain a shorter word.

And if you have the energy, you can move the first letter to the back of the word, then read it backwards.

However, this formula does not work for revise. Perhaps it should be revive.

If you like word puzzles, what 5-letter word is pronounced the same after you take away four letters?

3. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Oooh, you're good Rock!
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I could count on you, Rock! I'll bet it was "revive" instead of "revise." But I'll doublecheck.
  5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

ETA Rock's name :~)[This Message was Edited on 05/05/2008]
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Good for you! I was thinking of queue, but I think aitch is just as good. The main point that the answer would have to be a letter.

What is the ETA for? Greek? Estimated time of arrival? Embroidery Teachers Association? Eu Te Amo?

Endless tiring ads? I eta hunk of corn pone wit my greens?

7. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Queue! Didn't think of that one. I figured it had to be a letter and got to aitch first, of course.

Queue is better. I shoulda kept going!

ETA haha! Establishing tiresome addition or, more frequently, edited to add. I think.

First usage I encountered (aside from time of arrival) was here and I just assumed that's what it means.

Hmmm, what if it's something naughty?

I leave it to you :~)

Peace to you and Gor,
  8. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Estimated Time of Arrival -or- Edited To Add

An acronym or text message used in online chat, IM, e-mail, blogs, or newsgroup postings.

The "Edited To Add" acronym is used primarily on discussion boards and online forums.