A question about CFS and pregnancy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Emmagoose, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Emmagoose

Emmagoose New Member

Hi I have had CFS for 7 years. I have learnt to manage it through a very healthy diet, the elimiantion of sugar, caffeine, alcohol and wheat, a potent mineral supplement, a daily dose of Transfer Factor Classic and lots of sleep. I am now working and I probably have a bad day once a fortnight. My partner and I have been talking about having a child. (I am 31). I was wondering if anybody had any experiance and advice about having children. I have spoken to one person who told me that her pregnancy reduced her symptoms due to the increase of hormones in her body. Is this often the case? Can a pregnancy cause a relapse and how easy is it to cope with the early years of raising a child with a lack of sleep? I would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks, Emma. (NZ)
  2. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Hi Emma

do you live in NZ? If so, where abouts, I am in Auckland.

Anyway, to answer your question. I have done some research in this area and talked to doctors about it to.

It seems that many women experience a remission of symptoms during pregnancy - some are lucky enough that they do not come back, but about 30% get worse after the baby is born - worse than they were before they got pregnant.

I would say your chances are pretty good of not being in that 30% if you are well enough to be working.

Take care
    Michelle

3. LAMSCer

LAMSCer New Member

Hi Emma,

I have CFS along with multiple chemical sensitivities. I don't have any children as the illness pretty much stopped my life for long periods of time from the time I got sick at age 23. I'm now 44.

Anyhoo...I've met and talked to CFS women who have had babies and they did feel better during their pregnancies but most had a moderate to severe relapse after the baby was born.

A couple of things to think about.

If you have a baby, are you and your partner committed to staying together? Having CFS and ending up a single mother would be a ton of stress. Even if your partner left but paid child support, you'd still be living alone with a baby. Could you handle that amount of stress?

How is your financial situation? If you had to stop working after the baby was born would you still be able to pay for your current expenses plus the added expenses a baby would bring?

If you had to stop working after the baby was born, would you still have health insurance or access to medical care for yourself and the baby?

All my perfectly healthy friends and family had problems with lack of sleep when they had their babies. If you have a relapse after the birth you might want to find a way to get help with taking care of the baby if you can afford it or have a family member who would help out.

One other thing to remember is that CFS is a remitting and relapsing illness. That's means you can go for years and feel pretty good and then suddenly come crashing down and have a relapse. There is no cure yet and it is a lifelong illness, so that's another thing to think about: That you may have a relapse when your child is a toddler or in school. Would you have the financial, emotional and physical support system to be able to deal with that if it happened?

Just things to think about. There are no sure things or guarantees in life so the final decision is up to you and your partner. [This Message was Edited on 11/08/2006]
  4. Emmagoose

Emmagoose New Member

Hi Michelle, thanks alot for your feedback I really appreciate it. My friend who had a baby did have a remission during pregnancy and has just had a relapse now (the child is 4). It seems like the pregnancy part would be ok but afterwards would just depend onyour individual situation and health regime which is just the same as it is now.

I live just out of Featherston in the Wairarapa.

Thanks again, Emma.
  5. Emmagoose

Emmagoose New Member

Thanks alot those are some good factors to consider.

Emma