A question about exercise.............

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dd, Dec 6, 2002.

1. dd

dd New Member

I know this may sound like a stupid question but here goes...How do you know the difference between overworking your body and muscles or just having your body getting used to working out and physical therapy? I am worried that I may be overdoing it but am not sure. I started back this week with my physical therapy and light exercises after a break from it because of surgery. My body is so achy (more than usual) and I can hardly walk around because of the pain (also more than usual). I used to enjoy the physical therapy and light exercise but now it seems more painful, even to have the therapist touch me is painful. I didn't feel this way before when I had therapy. I am also getting headaches afterwards now. I don't want to quit going because it has helped me in the past. Anyone else had similar experiences? I don't know if my body is just adjusting or what.....

Thanks,

Debbie
  2. dd

dd New Member

I know this may sound like a stupid question but here goes...How do you know the difference between overworking your body and muscles or just having your body getting used to working out and physical therapy? I am worried that I may be overdoing it but am not sure. I started back this week with my physical therapy and light exercises after a break from it because of surgery. My body is so achy (more than usual) and I can hardly walk around because of the pain (also more than usual). I used to enjoy the physical therapy and light exercise but now it seems more painful, even to have the therapist touch me is painful. I didn't feel this way before when I had therapy. I am also getting headaches afterwards now. I don't want to quit going because it has helped me in the past. Anyone else had similar experiences? I don't know if my body is just adjusting or what.....

Thanks,

Debbie
  3. JP

JP New Member

This is a difficult measurement for me as well. I am always seeking some kind of balance with a body that is unpredictable on so many levels. I can't be worked on anymore. This saddens me...Last week I had a very mild pelvic adjustment and I have suffered with intense nerve pain in my leg as a result of my back complications. The same goes for my FM. I was working in the yard, had a sudden experience of feeling as though I had overdone it physically and then had a horrific pain attack that sent me to the ER. This is a tough one...I hope someone comes along and helps us both with this one.

Good luck and a great question...thanks, Jan

4. Gigo

Gigo New Member

Hi! I always over-do, but I do know it's wise to begin any exercise program at the lowest level possible--like even just a minute to start and when the pain lessens, gradually work upwards. Maybe just some simple streaching for now?

I've found a very gentle form of Qigong very beneficial. It's far easier than Tai Chi or Yoga. With memory problems, I can't quite remember the Tai Chi steps--

Also, surgery, accidents, etc. seem to trigger FMS in some people. Your recent surgery may have temporarily worsened your condition, so it's probably best to take it very easy. I've been told if there's pain, then for us there's absolutely no gain at all.

Good luck!
  5. dd

dd New Member

I do agree that there is a difference between pain to the touch and muscle pain. I am experiencing both right now. I am having shooting pains in my right shoulder down my arm to my hand on my left side and my left thumb is numb. The pain seems to be radiating from my neck and then down the shoulder and arm. I have been doing very light exercises as not to overdue it at first but this pain is really getting to me.

What is ART and ZMA? I also take supplements and try to stay away from pain meds when I can because they make me too wacky. All meds have a negative reaction with me but sometimes I have to give in and take something.

Thanks for the input.

Debbie
  6. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

I used to by so physically active, and now I could just cry from frustration! I can't endure physical therapy, for the pain of being touched. It actually was causing muscle spasms, and the pt told me to call my doc and tell her to discontinue me. She recently ORDERED massage therapy, beginning with "light desensitization" and I don't know HOW I'm going to endure that. A few days ago I got the Yoga for Aches and Pains video and have been trying that, and that's what's so frustrating! These things seem so simple compared to what I used to do, and I can't even make it through the whole routine! I will be keeping close tabs on this thread...
    Peace,
    Stormy