A question about FM pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marta608, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Background: Fourteen years ago I was diagnosed with CFS after a bout with EBV. Long story short, after a brief respite within the first year that made me think all was well, it wasn't. I got to a point where, without any social life, I could exist by pacing myself and getting a lot of rest. I dropped back to working part-time and finally retired early.

Throughout this time, I had typical CFS with varying degrees of fatigue from major to debilitating, sleep and cognitive issues, some aches and pains but not severe. More arthritic than muscular.

About a month ago my neck "seized up" with cracking and much pain in the trapezius muscle on one side. I've gone to the chiro for two adjustments which have not helped. Since it began, pain has moved into my upper back predominately, staying firmly in my neck as well.

I've tried ice, moist heat, trigger-point massage, relaxation techniques, extra rest, reduced my social contacts and computer time even more, and had several good talks to myself about the futility of stressing over my kids/the cats/the economy/my health/my friend's love life or lack thereof/my age/state of the country and more. You know, the facts of life. There is little or nothing I can do about any of those things so, consciously, I do my best to let it go.

By evening I can barely sit or stand due to the pain and exhaustion. By morning, if I've slept decently, I have less pain but once on my feet it's back full force.

The question I have (never thought I'd get to it, did you?) is regarding what I read in a Trigger Point Massage therapy workbook I have. It said that "Muscles with FM are 'mushy' while tension in muscles makes them tight". I'd never heard that here and wonder if it's correct. A friend with diagnosed FM said her muscles are taunt, as are mine.

And while I have you here, another thing I wonder is how many of you had CFS-ME for a period of time, and then got bopped with FM later? If so, was it during a stressful period of your life?

Thanks for your energy and your time.

2. nixon

nixon New Member

Hello......I've only had the fibro DX for just over two yrs. ( GEEZE, it feels like longer!!) I would agree that my muscles are taunt. I've never heard the "mushy thing either. I have terrible neck pain, headaches, upper back-shoulder pain.....even when taking my heavy-duty pain meds. It feels as if we are fighting a losing battle sometimes. Hang in there, gentle hugs, Andrea
  3. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Hi Marta, I would think taunt for me or regular feeling....mushy??? I dodn't know about that...lol! I was dx with FM first then CFS so i can't help there however I was thinking that pain can be associated with CFS as well. Whatever the cause, I hope you get a little relief soon! Pain is horrible no matter what the cause.

4. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

Me too, CFS for years before the onset of FM. I think it's a natural progression in a way. I mean, you spend years being fatigued (what an understatement!) at a cellular level. Your body is at constant war with itself.

As far as mushy muscles, I've never heard that. With FM, your muscles get the signal via electrical impulse to move, contract, react, whatever. But they don't know when to turn off. There is some study regarding ion channelopathy that makes sense to me.
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

The consensus is that FM muscles are not mushy, whatever that means. The trigger point info has been helpful in the past though so I won't hold that against them.

I suspect that going to sleep exhausted and not relaxing my muscles is at fault for now.

Back to the old (and I do mean old) drawing board.

Thanks again,
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Even before my diagnosis last year (but have had Fibro for 20)I would say that my muscles especially in my upper back and neck are very very 'tight'. As a matter of fact, everyone who has ever touched me there has commented. I've never heard the 'mushy' thing either.
    Funny though, that area (back and neck) are not my main areas of pain.