A question about pancreatitis?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mommyinpain, Oct 24, 2006.

1. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

I read a lot of posts on here where people say they have or have had pancreatitis and I was just wondering exactly:

What is pancreatitis?
    What causes it?
    What are the symptoms of pancreatitis?
    What the treatment is for it?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks. MIP
  2. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

You answered every one of my questions. That you for taking the time to post that. It was so helpful.

Thanks again, MIP
  3. tlayne

tlayne Member

You are amazing to post so much info on pancreatitis! I have had an severe acute case of this due to a surgical procedure that I had done.

The only thing that I would add is that in a severe case you could vomit blood, as I did. It is characterized by severe abdominal pain radiating to the back, fever, anorexia, and vomiting. There may also be jaundice if the common bile duct is obstructed.
    I was in the hospital for 6 days and for four of those days it was unknown if I would live or die. The only thing that they can do for severe acute cases is provide IV fluids, along with electrolytes, and pain meds. Nothing is given by mouth, hopeing that the pancreas will 'cool' down. If it doesn't there is not a lot that can be medically done except nasogastric suction to remove gastric secreations.

This is a pretty serious condition and very painful! Hugs, Tam