A question for messageboard and those taking 5 HTP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kjan9, Sep 2, 2003.

1. kjan9

kjan9 New Member

I've read an old post with the article on 5 HTP. Also a few promising statements that came from Dr. Teitelbaum's website. And I was considering giving it a try, however I'm a little concerned now because I just switched my pain med from vicodin to ultram. I understand ultram cannot be taken with an anti-depressant since it has been known to cause seizures in combination. So do you think I should consider a different pain med again? And also for some reason I thought 5 HTP was a prescription can it also be bought over the counter? Since the article I read said it was a natural alternative to prozac. I did'nt like prozac, do you think this is a safer alternative to build up my serotonin? Any input would be nice. Thanks.
    Karen (kjan9)
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I don't think that's true that you can't take Ultram with antidepressants. I used to take Ultram and have taken antidepressants for years. I switched to Ultracet and still take antidepressants. My doctor knows I take antidepressants and would not have given me Ultram if she thought there was a problem. My suggestion is to speak to a pharmacist. They will be able to give you the proper answer. Good luck!

Annette2