A question for messageboard and those taking 5 HTP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kjan9, Sep 2, 2003.

1. kjan9

kjan9 New Member

I've read an old post with the article on 5 HTP. Also a few promising statements that came from Dr. Teitelbaum's website. And I was considering giving it a try, however I'm a little concerned now because I just switched my pain med from vicodin to ultram. I understand ultram cannot be taken with an anti-depressant since it has been known to cause seizures in combination. So do you think I should consider a different pain med again? And also for some reason I thought 5 HTP was a prescription can it also be bought over the counter? Since the article I read said it was a natural alternative to prozac. I did'nt like prozac, do you think this is a safer alternative to build up my serotonin? Any input would be nice. Thanks.
    Karen (kjan9)
  2. lilchisler

lilchisler New Member

I don't know that I have a great answer for you, but I did take 5 htp for a long time and had good results, but I suffered with restless leg syndrome so bad and sleepless nights that I finally had to go back on the 2 drugs that I am not allergic to which are klonopin and effexor. The doctor and the Pharm. STRONGLY recommended 14 days off the 5htp before starting any anti-depress. or SSRI drug. I think I was told it would be too sedating. I am not sure, but do ask a homeopathic doctor or pharm. that is familiar with supplements. I hope this helps some. "lilchisler"
  3. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

I've recently tried it after reading posts here and on some sleep sites that it works. I didn't feel anything from it though, didn't sleep any better at all. The label on the bottle says it's for serotonin, to make you feel not depressed, I thought it was for sleep.

I took quite a few caps too. Melatonin does a bit for me but so far nothing on 5HTP. I'd like to hear other experiences.

Hollie
  4. crissyfamily

crissyfamily New Member

Hi. 5 HTP is to rebuild the serotonin in your brain that is probably depleted like it is in most of us. It takes quite a while to replace the serotonin and in some cases for people that have been on antidepressants for years, they may have to take forever (my doc told me this)...She decided she did not like 5 HTP for her patients and switched us all to Neuroreplete and Cysreplete. I have been on them for about 4 months now and feel better and do not have to use anything to sleep now. My doctor did a brain chemical test to determine which neurotransmitters we were low in and then the lab recommended which ones we should take.

take care
    crissy
  5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I take wellbutrin and was still prescribed Ultracet. It hasn't been a problem for me. My rheumy told me there is always a minimal chance of siezures, but I started slowly, working my way to a higher dose.

For sleep, such an elusive thing at times, I have found that 2 mg of Klonapin, 3 capsules of Valerian and 2 Calcium Magneseum tablets work as well as anything else. I tried the ZMA and it didn't help me much. I bought, Peaceful Nights from the 'store' here and will give them a try when I run low on other supplements.

Gentle hugs to all,

Kim